So what is known of Mormonism? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KraylorDePanthro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:08 am
So what is known of Mormonism?
I recently spent some time with some of the Elders (missionaries) and a friend of mine who went out to Cali to be in a band, and came back a Mormon.
She seems rather more happy now and fufilled. I've been listening to them, and much of what they say makes sense. I've also heard some other things from other people so I figured I'd see what the general consensus is.
They say they are Christians, as it's the Church of Jesus Christ (of Latter Day Saints) and the last part is because they believe it's the end times.

Thoughts,comments, suggestions?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:51 am
Two Mormons started talking to me while I was walking down the road about three weeks ago. By the end of our conversation one of them wanted to punch me while the other was crying.

You do not want to know what I think about Mormons.  

zz1000zz
Crew

xxPromarkxx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:18 pm
They believe many of the same things that Christianity believes in, but have incorporated it with their own beliefs. They think that a man called Joseph Smith received two golden tablets from the archangel Gabriel that were inscribed with the Book of Mormon. Some of their other beliefs are that if you are a good Mormon, when you die you and your wife become a god and a goddess of your own world.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:50 pm
KraylorDePanthro
So what is known of Mormonism?
I recently spent some time with some of the Elders (missionaries) and a friend of mine who went out to Cali to be in a band, and came back a Mormon.
She seems rather more happy now and fufilled. I've been listening to them, and much of what they say makes sense. I've also heard some other things from other people so I figured I'd see what the general consensus is.
They say they are Christians, as it's the Church of Jesus Christ (of Latter Day Saints) and the last part is because they believe it's the end times.

Thoughts,comments, suggestions?
He must really love jesus there is such this as a Mormon that truly loves jesus.

The dark side to Mormonism is that the story that they think is real is all myth.

My heart aches for the people that are lied to.  

RekaG

RekaG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:58 pm
zz1000zz
Two Mormons started talking to me while I was walking down the road about three weeks ago. By the end of our conversation one of them wanted to punch me while the other was crying.

I have a friend that is mormon and sometimes she kind of bugs me.

I want to learn things I try to listen, but she can get super religous and tries to be persuasive.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:06 pm
Wikipedia is great for staying generally informed about things like this.

The main reason for them calling themselves 'Latter Day Saints' is because they believe that the original church fell away from God and that they are here to reinstate it.

I think (confirm with Wikipedia) their religious material (books collectively called the Book of Mormon, named after one of the books contained therein) claim to be prophecies from a line of prophets starting with a family that escaped from the Middle East to the Americas around the time of the original Church.

Priestley

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:54 pm
Are all Mormons Christians? Well, that's debatable. It's up there with "Are all Christians Christians?" To some degree, much of what Mormons believe could coincide just fine with Christianity. Prophets still exist today, I'm sure, it's just that there is less that's seen of them, as God uses different ways to communicate His message to His people as the times change (we have the Internet now! biggrin ). But alot of it seems ... to be somewhat contradictory to what Christianity teaches. Some could look at the Book of Mormon as an addition to the Bible, which is strongly warned against at the end of Revelation. But they also believe such things as various levels of Heaven and Hell, and that one can become saved after death. I would have to know more about it in order to come to any conclusive decision about what I think. I try to not let the fact that Stephenie Meyer is a Mormon bias my thoughts. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:56 pm
Well I've noticed is that some Mormons, Jehovah witness and Catholics don't always believe in what there church believes in, most of them have surprisingly open minds and hearts.  

RekaG

Lexille

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:35 pm
Their anti-birth control?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:36 pm
Osaka_DFA
Well I've noticed is that some Mormons, Jehovah witness and Catholics don't always believe in what there church believes in, most of them have surprisingly open minds and hearts.

By definition, if a member of those groups does not believe in the teachings of their church, they are not a member of that group.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Priestley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:45 pm
zz1000zz
Osaka_DFA

By definition, if a member of those groups does not believe in the teachings of their church, they are not a member of that group.

Right, and this would be demonstrated by excommunication or some such behaviour of exclusion from that group.

But it's not always the case. Language isn't fixed and definitions can change (not overnight, but slowly). The same thing can be said for the beliefs of certain individuals in that collective. Such individuals may still regard themselves a one of the collective by their own definition but not regarded by the other individuals as such. Who is right in that case?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:40 am
Priestley
zz1000zz
Osaka_DFA

Right, and this would be demonstrated by excommunication or some such behaviour of exclusion from that group.

But it's not always the case. Language isn't fixed and definitions can change (not overnight, but slowly). The same thing can be said for the beliefs of certain individuals in that collective. Such individuals may still regard themselves a one of the collective by their own definition but not regarded by the other individuals as such. Who is right in that case?

Before I answer that, I should clarify. Disagreement on minor issues often does not mean one is no longer a member of that group. I was referring to a particular set of disagreements, though that was not particularly clear in my post.

In the question of who decides who is actually a member of a group, it is the group who decides.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:19 am
zz1000zz

Congratulations. It takes a lot to make me laugh, but you did it.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:12 am
i personally think mormons smell funny lol and i have a question isnt it a branch of christiantity that just whent rong?  

Zolof Keeper Of Souls

RekaG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:44 am
zz1000zz
Osaka_DFA

Well.... I was talking about mostly talking about teens, Most go to these churches because there parents go.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff