Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Guild Resources {Church directory, banners, exit links}
College student looking for a service opportunity?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:09 pm
Hey everyone!

I'm freelance, one of the mods here and Unashamed and this post is basically to shamelessly plug an organization I believe very strongly in, and hopefully get some of you guys involved in it if you're looking for a ministry opportunity!

The organization is called Project Transformation, and in short it's an outreach ministry for inner city kids to enrich their lives physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. I had the amazing opportunity to serve with PT during Summer '08 and it was seriously the most amazing exprience of my life.

Project Transformation is a ten year old ministry based out of Dallas, Texas which now has programs in Oklahoma City and Kansas City as well. There is a sumer program which consists of running a day camp four days a week for kids in inner city areas. The after school program is year round and allows the kids a place the to go after school.

Now, the internship program is for people who have completed at least one year of college. The program is affiliated with the United Methodist church, but you definetly don't have to be Methodist to do the program- the summer I did it we had people of all denominations. As an intern, you work with your team to run the summer camp for the kids Monday through Thursday. Fridays you have what are called "Friday Experiences" where you get to explore different avenues of ministry, from pastoral ministry to hospital chapliancy to homeless ministry. Sundays you attend church at your sight church where the camp is held and you also have intern worship every Tuesday night.

I worked at the Dallas branch this summer, and some of the perks of working for PT for a summer are:
-You get paid! $2,900 living stipend, plus a $1,250 Americorps education voucher!
-Free housing! You live in fraternity houses at Southern Methodist University all summer, for free!
-Free meals! Lunch is provided Mon-Fri and dinner is provided Sun-Thurs. Even days when there isn't a mean provided, there are always leftovers in the kitchen.
-You get Friday afternoon and all of Saturday off!

In additional to all this, you get to bond with the most amazing kids in the entire world (1st-9th grade in age) and the most amazing interns ever. Living in a Christian community is such a great experience and the love and support I experienced my summer with PT was like nothing I have ever experienced anywhere else.

I realize this is a lot of information to take in, but I have a lot of faith in the good this program does, for both the kids and the interns and if you're considereing spending a summer in service, this is an amazing way to do it.

In case I still haven't convinced you to do it, here's a video I made of me kids this summer.

If you want to know anything else about the program, feel free to PM me- I love talking about my summer. You can also check out these websites for an application or more information.

www.projecttransformation.org (Dallas Site)
www.projecttransformationok.com (Oklahoma City Site)
I can't seem to find the Kansas City website, but there's a branch there as well.

In short: You should do Project Transformation because it's amazing. You get to meet amazing people, teach wondeful kids about God, and grow in your relationship.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:06 pm
Perfect. 3nodding  

Priestley

Vinhos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:17 am
I might look into this for next summer.

hmmmm...  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:37 am
zach_wheat
I might look into this for next summer.

hmmmm...

You definetly should, it was one of the most rewarding, wonderful experiences of my life. Those kids will absolutely break your heart, but they'll also teach you how to love.

If you want to know anything, shoot a PM my way or something 3nodding

freelance lover
Crew

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:30 pm
JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS applications are now open for PT! Do it!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:55 pm
Is it just volunteer? I can't remember- I have all the information you sent me sitting in my PM inbox still. xd Too lazy to go look at it though. sweatdrop  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:57 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Is it just volunteer? I can't remember- I have all the information you sent me sitting in my PM inbox still. xd Too lazy to go look at it though. sweatdrop

There is an interview process to get hired, but it pays well, free housing, free food, and an Americorp education voucher! HOORAY.

PS- How sad am I that I don't get to go back this summer sad

Guild Resources {Church directory, banners, exit links}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff