Submit

Know of any examples?
  yep!
  don't think so...?
View Results

Minerva the Bookwyrm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:02 pm
Since it's Hallowe'en I thought this would be a fun topic:

ninja pirate What fantasy books have you read where All Hallow's Eve is significant to the plot? pirate ninja

In Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling Harry's parents were killed on the 31st of October in 1981.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:53 pm
The entire plot of Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy is based on stopping something from happening before October 31st/Samhain. I forget the majority of the plot. Something about an old Irish god. But yeah. It was important to the plot. <.<  

NightIntent
Captain

Kateryna of Kyiv

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:31 am
The halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury.

I have not read the Harry Potter books but according to your thread you are asking what story's plot is Halloween significant to.

My question for your choice is, is the fact that his parents were murdered on this date really important? How would the plot differ if they were killed on any other day of the year?

If not then it sounds to me like halloween itself is not important to the plot at all and you didn't answer your own question. =(  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:48 pm
In Harry Potter the fact that they were killed on Hallowe'en is symbolic. I suppose it doesn't change the overall entirity of the storyline, but that doesn't mean that the 31st of Oct. isn't significant in that series.  

Minerva the Bookwyrm

Kateryna of Kyiv

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:25 pm
Minerva the Bookwyrm
In Harry Potter the fact that they were killed on Hallowe'en is symbolic. I suppose it doesn't change the overall entirity of the storyline, but that doesn't mean that the 31st of Oct. isn't significant in that series.

Symbolic of what?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:30 am
All Hallow's Eve is when the border between the Dead and Living opens. I'm sure that having a child (Harry) and a man (Voldemort) both defy Death that night isn't a coincidence. Sure, Harry was protected by love and Voldemort by his Horcruxes, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the author chose Hallowe'en to be the night that defiance of death occurred.  

Minerva the Bookwyrm

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff