Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 20. ✿ - - - Debating
What are your opinions on abortion? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ozraptor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:51 pm
So yes. What are your true opinions?

I am neutral about this matter, i don't disapprove of it. Here are some reasons I would find appropriate to have a abortion:

1. Birth control fails. It's rare, but it does happen.
2. Rape. Who would want a child, knowing that it was created by a stranger that raped you?
3. Uneducation about sex. Some people are plain uneducated.
4. You are not able to love/support/commit to a baby. Such as a teenage mother, i know some can, but some cant.
5. The condom breaks. Its unlikely, but possible.

Those are all the reasons i can come up with. Please tell me your opinions!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:03 pm
Questing Devil Tail
Progress: 4206k / 22000k
Love me?

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
User Image
Anko says:
I suppose I'm neutral to abortion.
If a person fears birth control might fail, there's
always the morning after pill.

In cases of rape, or incest, abortion needs to remain and optional
course of action.

If a woman can't bare a child with out having her life at risk
then it's really up to that woman. To keep her own life, or give
it away to her child. There's an upside AND down side to each
decision, but each are to be equally respected.

Uneducated about sex... Sex makes make babies. =/
If no one understands that at any age, then they shouldn't
be having sex in the first place. Seriously, I don't know why
parents and schools systems are too stupid to actually
share that simple line to kids and teens.

Number one cause of pregnancy is Sex. Don't want a baby,
don't have it... or at least have safe, protected sex.

Financially unstable, or just unable to take care of a baby...
I'd choose other alternatives before abortion. Give over
parental rights to a family member who'd take care of the
child or put the child up for abortion.

If the condom breaks.... one of the saddest things
for a child to find out is that they're a product
of a mistake...

All in all, I respect any woman's decision to either give birth
to a child or have an abortion. But as for those that use a
abortions as their only kind of birth control... yeah, I have
utterly no respect for them. After a second abortion, they should
just have their ovaries and uterus destroyed. =/ Yeah, I know...
that's a little extreme.

~-~-~
I will cure all that ails you.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

AfricanAmerican||MtF TG||22yr old||04' Gaian
StephanieTye || Sora Ai

Anko Habanero

0obunnny0o

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:31 pm
Ozraptor

I am neutral about this matter, i don't disapprove of it. Here are some reasons I would find appropriate to have a abortion:

2. Rape. Who would want a child, knowing that it was created by a stranger that raped you?
4. You are not able to love/support/commit to a baby. Such as a teenage mother, i know some can, but some cant.

I don’t think it’s good here is why...
1. Birth control fails. It's rare, but it does happen./// if you don’t want a baby don’t have sex

2. Rape. Who would want a child, knowing that it was created by a okay that i think is okay

3. Uneducation about sex. Some people are plain uneducated./// if they don’t know about it they won’t do it.
4. You are not able to love/support/commit to a baby. Such as a teenage/// they should not have done it and they should still have it just put it up for adoption

they should not have had sex unless there married and if they are married why does it madder if they have a baby or not?

so i think its bad to do that just because they were not responsible doesn’t mean that a baby should die../  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:43 pm
Ozraptor

6. If the mother's life is in danger.
7. If there's going to be some sort of problem with the baby that the parents won't be able to handle.  

eccentricanomaly

Ozraptor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:03 pm
0obunnny0o
Ozraptor

4. You are not able to love/support/commit to a baby. Such as a teenage/// they should not have done it and they should still have it just put it up for adoption

they should not have had sex unless there married and if they are married why does it madder if they have a baby or not?

so i think its bad to do that just because they were not responsible doesn’t mean that a baby should die../

4. Well im all up for adoption, but it's just not as socially acceptable in the world as it used to be with teenage pregnancies.

5. I personally dont think you should have to wait until marrige. I personally wouldnt want to marry a boyfriend just to have sex. If you had a baby even when you were married, if you couldnt support it, as i said, what would be the most likely action?

I dont mean to sound ignorant, but... Technically a fetus isnt a fully developed human. It's similar to a plant. Cutting down a tree isn't considered murder.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:30 pm
I don't think anyone would be like "omg, abortion is teh awesomeness!!!111one."

But I also think it's my right as a woman not to have a baby that I don't really want, that could set my life off track. Men don't have to deal with it, I don't see why I should.

Until a certain point, fetuses are not aware of their surroundings. They are not quite a baby, they are the potential for one. I don't see abortion as too much different than a miscarriage or something. It's not like you're inflicting torture on a thinking, feeling thing.

Of course, after a certain point, there is awareness and so forth. After that, no one should be able to get an abortion. That WOULD be wrong.

I also think it's cruel to bring a baby into the world when it's unwanted. And no, adoption doesn't always work. The system is overcrowded and messed up. And even if the child is kept...with young girls it's their mothers that take care of them or the kid doesn't get as much attention as it should. Or if it's unwanted, the vibe will be in the family, perhaps forever.

Why should I carry something for nine months, go through all of that, go through the pain of childbirth, all for one little hitch like a condom breaking or birth control failing or whatever?

Sometimes there are no other options. And because of that, I don't think my rights should be encroached on.

Fionnabhair Aoife

ijdg903rtw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:54 am
0obunnny0o

I don’t think it’s good here is why...
1. Birth control fails. It's rare, but it does happen./// if you don’t want a baby don’t have sex

Not everyone wants a child, I don't, at least not by me. Those are your personal morals with nothing to back them up.

Quote:
2. Rape. Who would want a child, knowing that it was created by a okay that i think is okay

How is a fetus conceived by rape not equal to one not conceived by rape? They are both lives and considered by true pro-lifers to be equal. They are also equal to me.

Quote:
3. Uneducation about sex. Some people are plain uneducated./// if they don’t know about it they won’t do it.

You know have to be a genius to see "this thing fits here". I have never met anyone who doesn't know what sex is. What they need to be educated on is protection.

Quote:

That solves unwanted parenting, not pregnancy.

Quote:

See above. Also- just because they are married doesn't mean they want children. In 2002 (it was the most recent stuff I could find) 17% of the women that got abortions were married. That may not seem like a lot, but it is 1/5.

Quote:

Who says they weren't responsible? s**t happens.

I'd also like to add, as far as religion goes, 42.8% are Protestant and 27.4% are Catholic, making a whooping 70.2% for Christianity (as of 2002). For what you ask? Getting abortions, of course. Sort of ironic, seeing as most of the pro-lifers I see are Christian and basing their decision on Christian morals. While 70% of the people getting abortions are Christians and don't seem to have that much of an issue getting one.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:49 am
Vavari
Quote:

How is a fetus conceived by rape not equal to one not conceived by rape? They are both lives and considered by true pro-lifers to be equal. They are also equal to me.

I seem to meet a lot of pro-lifers with a rape exception, so I'm not so sure about that. The only reason I've heard for a rape exception is that the woman didn't choose to have sex; this isn't protecting life, just punishing women who chose to have sex.

I'd also like to hear how the rape exception will be enforced. There's no differences between rape and consensual sex fetuses that an ultrasound will find.

Vavari
Quote:

See above. Also- just because they are married doesn't mean they want children. In 2002 (it was the most recent stuff I could find) 17% of the women that got abortions were married. That may not seem like a lot, but it is 1/5.

Guttmacher has information regarding abortion published in 2008. According to them, two-thirds of abortions are for married women.

Vavari
I'd also like to add, as far as religion goes, 42.8% are Protestant and 27.4% are Catholic, making a whooping 70.2% for Christianity (as of 2002). For what you ask? Getting abortions, of course. Sort of ironic, seeing as most of the pro-lifers I see are Christian and basing their decision on Christian morals. While 70% of the people getting abortions are Christians and don't seem to have that much of an issue getting one.

I haven't seen a change in that statistic, but another thing worth mentioning: Pro-lifers also have abortions.

It's probably obvious at this point, but I'm pro-choice. A person's right to not have their body used by another human without their consent is greater than the other person's right to life. Making the fetus an exception will remove this right from pregnant women and make them second-class citizens.

That said, I still view a decrease in abortions as a good thing. Comprehensive sex education, easier access to condoms and birth control, and support for women who want to keep their children but can't afford them will go much further in decreasing the amount of abortions than cries of 'Just don't have sex'.  

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

ijdg903rtw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:30 pm
Zephyrkitty

I seem to meet a lot of pro-lifers with a rape exception, so I'm not so sure about that. The only reason I've heard for a rape exception is that the woman didn't choose to have sex; this isn't protecting life, just punishing women who chose to have sex.

I'd also like to hear how the rape exception will be enforced. There's no differences between rape and consensual sex fetuses that an ultrasound will find.

I've talked with many pro-lifers and pro-choicers who believe if someone believes in a rape exception, they fall under pro-choice. Because if you are pro-life, then name off exceptions a, b and c, can you really be considered pro-life? Though I personally wish that we had a different word for them, as a pro-choicer I'd rather not be grouped in with those types of people.

Quote:

Guttmacher has information regarding abortion published in 2008. According to them, two-thirds of abortions are for married women.

Thank you for that, I heard about that statistic but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I didn't feel comfortable stating it.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:34 pm
Vavari
Zephyrkitty

I've talked with many pro-lifers and pro-choicers who believe if someone believes in a rape exception, they fall under pro-choice. Because if you are pro-life, then name off exceptions a, b and c, can you really be considered pro-life? Though I personally wish that we had a different word for them, as a pro-choicer I'd rather not be grouped in with those types of people.

I usually refer to someone with a rape exception as pro-punishment, myself. In most cases, asking someone why they have a rape exception and explaining why it's not pro-life results in them either dropping the rape exception completely or using the argument of 'she didn't choose to have sex, so she should be able to abort'. They also seem to hold views such as being against condoms/birth control, support abstinence-only education, against support for poor pregnant women... more of a 'you had sex, so you should face the consequences of your actions' view.

It's aggravating to meet someone with such a view to be honest. I disagree with the pro-life stance, but at least I can understand the view that all life should be protected. Pro-punishment just seems to have an issue with women having sex.

Personally, I'd say a pro-life person with an exception for the life of the mother and/or a severe fetal abnormality (living-for-a-few-days severe, not Down's Syndrome severe) is pro-life. It's still protecting life by trying to minimize lives lost.

Vavari
Quote:

Thank you for that, I heard about that statistic but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I didn't feel comfortable stating it.

No problem.
I'd do the same thing. I blame lurking ED and seeing all the 'proof please' responses.  

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

ijdg903rtw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:29 pm
Zephyrkitty

I usually refer to someone with a rape exception as pro-punishment, myself. In most cases, asking someone why they have a rape exception and explaining why it's not pro-life results in them either dropping the rape exception completely or using the argument of 'she didn't choose to have sex, so she should be able to abort'. They also seem to hold views such as being against condoms/birth control, support abstinence-only education, against support for poor pregnant women... more of a 'you had sex, so you should face the consequences of your actions' view.

It's aggravating to meet someone with such a view to be honest. I disagree with the pro-life stance, but at least I can understand the view that all life should be protected. Pro-punishment just seems to have an issue with women having sex.

I agree with that 100%.

Quote:
Personally, I'd say a pro-life person with an exception for the life of the mother and/or a severe fetal abnormality (living-for-a-few-days severe, not Down's Syndrome severe) is pro-life. It's still protecting life by trying to minimize lives lost.

I would consider them pro-life as well. I had a conversation with someone who labeled herself as pro-life who does not have those views, and I asked her about the two. She said there was always a way for a mother to live, she kept trying to tell me by the time a mother is in danger the fetus can survive outside the womb. She also said that doctors can never tell when someone is going to die, such as with cancer patients who were told they were going to die in "x" months and their cancer went away. I tried to explain to her that this wasn't always the case, but she wouldn't have any of it and just kept repeating herself.

Personally, I'm only for abortions in the first trimester, with exceptions to the mother's life and severe abnormalities, as you already talked a bit about.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:35 am
I think it depends on the situation. I wouldn't completely ban it , in anyway.  

i-- M a r i e --i

Purple Orchid Petal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:34 am
Fionnabhair Aoife
Until a certain point, fetuses are not aware of their surroundings. They are not quite a baby, they are the potential for one. I don't see abortion as too much different than a miscarriage or something. It's not like you're inflicting torture on a thinking, feeling thing.
Ever stop to think...

A miscarriage is like the bodies natural abortion. If it detects there is something wrong with the making of the baby, it gets rid of it. Sometimes it doesn't, that's why some babies are born with disabilities, but most of the time it does.

1 in 5 women have a miscarriage. I personally think that's much better than 1 in 5 women giving birth to a disabled child.

That's also why i partially support abortion.

Think of the insane increase rate of the human popularity if we didn't have it?! It's mad enough as it is!

I don't agree with women (or couples) using it as an escape because they don't feel ready for a child. I know it helps a lot more if they are ready, but they will have 9 months to get used to the idea and get prepared!! lol. But if they really aren't ready, like financially or maybe some sort of illness that it'd effect or whatever, then i think it is acceptable - to a certain extent.

I also agree with it if the woman was raped, or if the couple had the safest sex they were aware of and the woman still got pregnant and there was no hope in hell that the child was going to have a quality of life.

My biggest concern is the child's quality of life. If it's going to be born into a terrible family where it will be abused and unloved, i'd rather it was aborted. I know it sounds horrible to get rid of a life in that way, but would you really want a child to be neglected when it could avoid such a thing? And I know theres always the option of adoption... But i know i could never give away my own child, and theres no garante that the other family it will go to will treat it properly either. It may to social services, but behind their backs.. who knows what could happen?

And if it'd put the womans life in danger by having the child.. I think it should be aborted. Her life is much more important, especially if she has other children. Someone will lose their daughter, their wife, their mother, etc. Whereas, aborting the unborn baby... It hasn't made any relationships yet. The only people that have really got anywhere close to being attached is the mother and father to be. But it's not a real person yet, so they can get over it/move on and if it won't put the woman at risk again, they could try again to have another child. Or, adopt! Atleast then that womans life is being put to good use. Plus, it's horrible to hear about children who's mothers died for them.. Sweet, but so sad and upsetting......

...and forget to start again?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:03 pm
I like the debating over abortion personally.
I think that it would be hard to make it illegal, everyone has different morals and views on it.
I agree with abortion. Yet, only to a certain extent...

Here are my views::

1.] You don't want a baby, simply don't have sex.
2.] If you do have sex, use protection.
3.] If a baby so happens, it should be the woman's choice to abort it, keep it, or give it up for adoption.
4.] It is wrong to bring an unwanted child into the world. That is one more child that needs a home that they might not get.
5.] If the baby so happens to have some serious health issues that the mother does not want her child to live with due to how the cruel the world can be.
6.] Can't afford to raise a child.
7.] Is simply to young to have a child.
8.] Raped. [Keep or abort]
9.] HIV Positive. [Keep or abort]
10.] The mother could be killed by the child during birth. [If known soon enough]

I don't believe that abortion should be used as an active birth control method.
Girl gets pregnant, abort.
Again the girl gets pregnant, abort again.
And again.
And again.
And again.
-.-;;

I am a spiritual person and I believe that the mother feels the baby soul enter through her body and into the fetus. After that happens, I do not believe abortion should happen. I, personally, would consider it murder.
Or.
You may have an abortion up to the 2nd trimester. After that, too bad.

I do believe banning it could result in women using a coat hanger or getting an abortion in a dirty setting that could be extremely risky.
It is better for there to be rules and restrictions [like up to the 2nd tri only] then to ban all together.
I understand where religion is brought into this. BUT, freedom of religion kinda puts a stop to that.
A person or the government of the United States should not push morals that some see fit onto others.
Freedom.

And day by day it seems that our freedoms are slowly being taken away.

If abortion became illegal, what would happen to other rights women fought to have? What if that so happened to cause a domino effect and we lost other freedoms due to religious beliefs and another morals?

Everyone different.

We are not all the same. We do not all believe in the same things. We do not all have the same morals. Would the world turn into something like the world in 'The Giver'?
Are we on the path to that?
Complete sameness?
What if colors became illegal to see?

As women, young women, and young ladies, we need to stand up for out rights. It is our body. Our own body that we choose what happens to it. Rather it be a shrine for a God. Or a piece of canvas to add amazing colors and stories onto. Maybe as soldier and risk that body for everyone's freedom.

It is everyone's soul choice to what and how they choose to use there body.

Some may not believe in what I believe or what I am saying.

But, if someone came up to you and told you you couldn't wear pants anymore and that you have to wear a skirt, how would feel?

To me, if someone told me I couldn't choose to have an abortion, that I had to carry that child. I would feel tied down and betrayed that I can't my own decisions as a woman. I would feel as if, simply, I wasn't free.

America would look different to me.

o.O Sorry for the long rant...
Enjoy?  

Allymanderxx

Doshie-Egg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:03 pm
As much as everyone can argue about sex/marriage/education/religion what it all comes down to to me is wether the child is going to have a good life. If by not having an abortion a child is born to a girl/woman who is unable to provide the right amount of financial support and love, born into a violent or unsafe enviroment, or born and abandoned (and by that I do not mean given up for adoption, I'm talking about the countless children left out in the cold alone) then abortion really is the best way.

Also, I can honestly say if I were to maically have a baby right now, it would change and end all that I'm working towards, my career, my relationship, and my life. I would get an abortion.  
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff