Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Necro Fusion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:32 am
Come and die with the zombies in the moonlight
They become alive when you die, you cannot fool them
You got to slam with the dead and let it go now
See a thousand hallowed eyes stare into the night

I'm deciding to start a thread for my Chaos baddies here. I've only actually painted a little, so this is a learning experience for me, and what way better to get help than from other players and painters? biggrin

Right now I'm working on finishing some of the conversion models, like my Daemon Prince, (I'll get a picture up when I can use a good camera, I hate picture phones) and finalizing details on tanks and such. But most of my troops are finished and ready to be painted, with the exception of a few guys without bolters. Just an experiment to see if it's better to paint with the bolter already on or not.

So, to start off simple, I want to finalize my ideas for a colour scheme. What do you guys think?

User Image
*Painter from Bolter and Chainsword*

And if you like it, what colours and mixes should I use? The base colour is Skull White, but I'm wondering if I should start with a brown and red mix or simply use Red Gore for the reds, and the blacks, shall I mix Codex Gray and Chaos Black or simply use the black and highlight it?

Sorry for all the questions. sweatdrop

It's getting dark so prepare to die
They're coming after you
It's getting dark and you can't get away
They're coming after you

}{Pain - Zombie Slam}{

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:59 pm
right, i'll comment yours if you comment mine (mines the admech project log)

i really like the colour scheme, like the preheresy death guard! and the dark red works well, good luck with this project!  

Darkweaver66

6,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100

Darkweaver66

6,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:29 pm
sorry, i never went into much detail yesterday as my dad was about to turn the router off to do something to it, so i posted what i had typed.

as to your paints question, i suggest red gore with 50/50 red gore and blood red highlights. for the black, i would use chaos black, with chaos black and codex grey mix highlights, and for the white, dont highlight.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:06 am
I've found the easiest way to get effectively shaded black is to paint adeptus battlegrey and give several coats of badab black until you're happy. I agree with fire - link on the red though red gore is the way forward.  

Rev.Matt

Necro Fusion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:21 pm
Rev.Matt
I've found the easiest way to get effectively shaded black is to paint adeptus battlegrey and give several coats of badab black until you're happy. I agree with fire - link on the red though red gore is the way forward.

I've heard similar things from the Games Workshop staff at my local store, actually. Turns out that the Foundation paints really are that awesome.
This week I'm just going to work on getting the base coat of white on, then pick up some new paints this week if I have the money.

They're coming after you
They're coming after you

}{Pain - Zombie Slam}{

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:39 pm
For the white mix astronomicron grey with skull white 50/50 then let dry. the go over with skull white.  

Battle Brother Bill

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:38 am
I'd make the white easy, I belive you can get the same white/grey-ish by using skull white first, then using badab black ink on it, one or two layers (depends on how much shading you want) and then use skull white as highlight, faster and more simple than mixing paints. n_n  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:30 pm
badab black over white can come out a bit dull and dirty. try a 1 part badab black 1 part asurmen blue 2 parts water mix. highlight with sKull white until happy.  

Rev.Matt

Necro Fusion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:40 pm

I'll try the suggestions and any I get at Games Workshop, but I won't be able to do much with a lack of funds for now. I need to start looking for a job instead of leeching money from my dad. rolleyes

They're coming after you
They're coming after you

}{Pain - Zombie Slam}{

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:45 pm
I would personally undercoat that scheme with a codex grey. then i'd undercoat the blacks with black. for the red, id try to paint it scab red. drybrush the codex grey with skull white and edge the black area with a 50/50 codex grey, chaos black mix. drybrush the scab red with red gore. for a final hilight, go over the very tips and corners of the black area with straight codex grey, and the same areas of the red areas with blood red. the many layers of color ad lots of depth (for the red especcialy) and give the model an almost sinister look if done right. dont forget to water down the paints though or the layers will fill in the details of the model. biggrin for metal areas, i would undercoat black and drybrush boltgun metal.(no highlights) this gives the metal a verry dark,strong and rustic feel. for the eyes, go with ultramarines blue, line the lower portions of the eye with ice blue for lighting effects/glare, and put a white dot in the corners of the eyes to represent reflections/glare. you can simplify this lots if you need to but I put a lot of steps in there to cover everything you could possibly want to do biggrin  

savage-everlong

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:33 am
Rev.Matt
badab black over white can come out a bit dull and dirty. try a 1 part badab black 1 part asurmen blue 2 parts water mix. highlight with sKull white until happy.
That's why you highlight. : P

I tried this out on another mini, and it did not look dirty at all, but if that effect would occour I wouldn't see a problem with it, I mean, come on, we're talking about chaos here, why would they bother cleaning their armour? Normal marines barely bother to clean it (GW just tend to make all models look clean, even orkz, for some reason they never give them rust effects).

And we want a test mini now! Otherwise I'll take out one of my own chaos marines and try my method out and post it up, you slowpokes! :'D

Oh, water with the foundation inks ruins the glaze-wannabe effect they give, so adding water is something I reccomend you don't do.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:31 pm
Shinobi_8745
That's why you highlight. : P

I tried this out on another mini, and it did not look dirty at all, but if that effect would occour I wouldn't see a problem with it, I mean, come on, we're talking about chaos here, why would they bother cleaning their armour? Normal marines barely bother to clean it (GW just tend to make all models look clean, even orkz, for some reason they never give them rust effects).

And we want a test mini now! Otherwise I'll take out one of my own chaos marines and try my method out and post it up, you slowpokes! :'D

Oh, water with the foundation inks ruins the glaze-wannabe effect they give, so adding water is something I reccomend you don't do.

Oh, let me at least get to the weekend. xd I'll be painting under the eye of a GW staff member tomorrow, hopefully, so I'll have a good idea of what I'm doing, and if I get money I can actually work on the details, too. ^^ That's the only issue, though, with Fable 2 coming out and all. sweatdrop

But I'll see what I can do over the weekend and if I can get a hold of a camera, then I'll get a test model finished first. ^^

They're coming after you
They're coming after you

}{Pain - Zombie Slam}{

Necro Fusion

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:38 pm
Fable 2 can wait, I wanna see a test model at monday (so you better upload it at sunday xD)

I'll try to make one myself, and if it's simple and quick I'll make a tutorial as well. :B  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:36 pm
Shinobi_8745
Fable 2 can wait, I wanna see a test model at monday (so you better upload it at sunday xD)

I'll try to make one myself, and if it's simple and quick I'll make a tutorial as well. :B

I might have time for a test model by monday, then. ^^ Got two foundation paints, just going for a simple tabletop ready paint job, that's it, so don't expect anything fancy... Yet. xd

They're coming after you
They're coming after you

}{Pain - Zombie Slam}{

Necro Fusion

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:06 am
All test models must be fancy dude! XD

That's why they're test models. ;D  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]