Reply Thread Archive {Hot topics}
But what if you can't believe? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Amazing Jabels

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:17 am
I call myself a Unitarian christian, but here's the problem: I don't believe in God. I try to convince myself he is real, but when I reach for the belief, it's not there. What do you do about it? Do I just accept that I'm damned to Hell for lack of faith because I cannot find it?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:54 pm
No!
God knows what is in your heart, and he knows that you are trying. Besides, I believe lots of others struggle with that. In our society, everyone makes belief sound like it is this whole huge process! Your trying to believe, which means in some way you really do believe. You just have to grasp onto that belief.  

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:03 pm
This might sound weird and while it worked for me, it might not work for everyone...

I have not always been a Christian. I suppose I have always believed in a higher power but not neccesarily in this form. Long story short, I was kind of seeking Him the last year of high school and after. Never really liked any of the churches I tried going to. I just felt so uncomfortable there. A guy I dated shortly after convinced me to go to his. I liked it, felt comfortable enough and kept going. I still wasn't sure I believed, but I stayed anyway. I learned more about what these people believed about God and I went through all the motions and just sort of waited for something to click in my mind, one way or the other. Just happens that I had an experience that convinced me, without a doubt, that He is there and that He truly has all the power they say he does and that He uses it to care for us all.

I'm going to guess that you want to believe. And that tells me that it's not that you don't not believe. It seems like you're undecided. So just keep going through the motions. And pray. even if your not sure who or what your praying to, pray that He will make himself known to you in a way that makes sense to you.

I'm sure it will come eventually if you just keep searching.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:51 pm
I don't know if this will help you, but I'm pretty much going through the same thing...the wanting to believe but not being able to convince yourself. I would encourage you to read the bible. and try to approach it as if you've never read or heard of it before; like it's all brand new.
and definitely pray.
i haven't come through to the other side yet, but I'm still hoping I will. And I hope it helps for you to know that you're not alone in this struggle.  

saki_hanajima7

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:45 pm
My prayers are for all of you who are still sitting on that spiritual fence.

It seems like you've already make up your mind about God. Someone who REALLY didn't believe wouldn't worry so much about their eternal soul rotting in Hell. It seems more like you're just waiting for some feeling of confirmation that your belief is correct. A part of you is so afraid that you're wrong that the rest of your mind won't wrap around the idea that you might be right. Or, that's the feeling I get anyway.

As previously suggested, start talking to God. It doesn't have to be about concerns or praise. It can be as simple as telling him how your day went and all the mundane things you might talk about with someone you're meeting for the first time. Someday that confirmation will come. Just start working toward it. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:52 am
I tried reading the Bible, but it makes me LESS sure of Christianity. I mean, have you actually read that thing? It makes no sense, and seems to make God sound like a rather violent person.  

The Amazing Jabels

Viviane_neechan

Blessed Codger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:14 pm
The Amazing Jabels
I tried reading the Bible, but it makes me LESS sure of Christianity. I mean, have you actually read that thing? It makes no sense, and seems to make God sound like a rather violent person.

Yes, I definitely know where you're coming from (I'm going through something similar, but not identical). The Bible doesn't make sense unless you look at it differently. Every story says something important and figurative--you just need to think about it in that light. >.< Which can be difficult. But I'll give you an example.

You know the fish and loaves story, right? Jesus has a huge amount of people following Him to listen to Him, and nothing to feed them with. There's a little boy nearby who offers Jesus his teeny-weenie lunch. Jesus makes CRAZY amounts of food out of it. The boy's lunch is what we have to offer God. When we do so, He does something huge with it. >.>; That helped me a little, anyways...

But yes. I'll pray for you, too. Kind of a crappy feeling, I know. :

heart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:46 pm
The Amazing Jabels

Only in the Old Testament, when God had to fight for his people. The New Testament is what I try to follow. And I love that song in your sig!  

xxPromarkxx

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:06 pm
The Amazing Jabels
I have, actually. Straight through, from the beginning. You really have to think to really get the good stuff out of it. There are certainly some violent aspcets of it, and of God, but there is a lot of good, too. You're just not looking at it from the right perspective. Don't look at the bible from your perspective, look at it from God's perspective. At least, as much as you can. There are a few things we won't understand from down here becasue we can only see a small part of the bigger picture. But we do still have enough that we need to see it in different lights.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:46 pm
I don't think that doubt is necessarily a bad thing. What's the point of having an epiphany if there's no journey that leads to it? Sometimes, we have to allow ourselves to be lost for a little while, until God is ready to show us that He is there.

And now I'm having a hard time thinking of what advice I could tell you. The Christian in me wants to encourage you, tell you that you will pull through this doubt, that in the end, you'll finally see the truth. The scientist in me, specifically, the psychologist, is thinking that what you're experiencing is fine, it's natural, it's normal. If Christianity isn't for you, go check out something else, see what sticks.

I suppose that both of these answers are partially helpful. Dabbling can be dangerous, eternally so, but dabbling could also be good for you, as you may find that all of the other things you may try don't pass the test. Moses was raised in the faith of the Egyptians. He was still brought back to God. Jacob's uncle and cousins were of a slightly different, pagan-influenced religion (they had household idols/gods that they worshiped), but Rachel and Leah still found God. Sometimes it doesn't hurt too much to let yourself wander in order to better understand God. Plus, in the end, you'll be able to say you checked out a few things and found the truth, and know it's true, because it's the only one that's stood the test of time. 3nodding

I wouldn't worry too much. Don't force yourself to believe anything or do something you don't feel is right. When God calls you, you'll hear it. smile

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

No Longer With Us Srsly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:28 am

As many have said before me, tryin' is belief in God's view. Just give it time and eventually he will reveal himself to you, and you may have doubts, but give it time. If you are ready to accept Christ, you will know. We all go through trials before comin' to full sanctity of the Lord.

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:54 am
Danii California

When you read through the Old Testament without a good background in Jewish history/culture, it's not only confusing, it's downright disgusting sometimes. Murder, rape, pillaging, incest... Read through the NT first to get a basic idea of CHRISTIAN ideals, then use the OT to see where we've come from. Or find a study buddy to read along with you and perhaps explain some of the things you're left in the dark about. mrgreen  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

Ryan Russell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:05 pm
UGH!
No offense, but I have been very dissapointed with the Untarian Church in general lately.
I think you need to adress the real question: What is it that you REALLY have trouble believing?

If it is simply the existence of God, then here's Dr. Geisler's logical approach to god (I'll write it as well as I can remember it)

1. Everything that currently exists has a cause of existence(e.g. You're here because of your mother and father, the computer your using was assembled at a factory or by techies, etc, etc)

2. These causes have causes, and those causes have causes, etc(your parents' are here thanks to their parents, the factory that made your computer was created by construction workers, etc)

3. There cannot be an infinite number of causes. There must be a first, uncaused cause.

4. This cause, which is the sole source of all that exists, must be eternal, all-knowing, and all-powerful.

5. This entity is appropriately called "God."

-This is where the argument gets controversial-
6. This "God" meets the description of the living, personal deity described in the Bible.

7. Thus, the God of the Bible exists.

-However, I would like you to note that, while you call yourself a Unitarian Christian, I would suggest you reconsider your definition of both. My experience with unitarians is that even the church leaders are simply religous. Being a Christian is more than just being religous. It requires that you have accepted that God is master, that He sent His one and only Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross for the redemtion of man, and that you are imperfect and in need of this free gift of salvation.

THAT is what it means to be a Christian.
(note: I'm not bashing you. I'm just being straightforward because most people won't and i won't risk you not understanding this message, since your eternal destination rests solely on this concept)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:28 am
Search for Him!

Jeremiah 29:13, 14 ""You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord, "and will bring back from captivity."

Searching for Him means more than reading your bible and praying, it means, at least for me, longing to feel Him. Like worship, writing, ect. It means for me... to got into a quiet place, away from everyone, perhaps in my room, or perhaps on a mountain top, and reading and listening for God's still small voice.  

Knatalie9

SavageDamsal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:26 pm
My mom was telling me some interesting research on that acutally! Apparently there is a part of your brain that processes, for lack of a better word, the Spiritual World. This encompasses, pretty much, the things that you cannot see that you may or may not believe are real. For some people, like my mom for instance, this is a highly developed part of the brain. Even when she's tried imagining a world that does not have a God, she can't do it. It just doesn't make sense to her. For some other people though, they cannot understand the concept of a God, it just doesn't make sense to them. This does not mean that these people cannot believe in God or that they are "doomed" as you say. It is simple more difficult for them to take in that information. I don't know how or why this happens but I just thought you might like to know, you're not alone. If you cannot believe in God there are several questions you should probably ask yourself.
1) If you do not believe in God, what do you believe? (about creation, life/death, purpose, etc)
2) Why don't you believe in God? Is it because of trauma (eg: why would God let someone I love die, etc), because it seems impossible, because you don't want the obligation of His "rules", etc.
3) Do you want to believe in God? Does the idea of God make sense to you?
4) What is holding you back from God? Kind of self explanatory...
5) Know that God loves you and will do his best to help out out and answer your questions. Just ask him, read his word, and look to others for help as well. The fact that you starting this thread means you have at least some desire for God. That means you at least have some belief left in you.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff