Desert wear and tear Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:38 am
What the title says. I'm looking for SIMPLE and QUICK ways to weather vehicles and equipment used in desert environments without needing a degree in 'Eavy Metal or ten types of paint or glue.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:16 pm
You could have checked Games Workshop's site first. They have some helpful tips.

Alternatively, buy a citadel tub of sand and rocks and apply to the side of the vehicle using PVA glue and an old paintbrush.

Elegant Egotism

Darkweaver66

6,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:34 pm
you need:

1. glue
2. sand
3. tan coloured paint

simple, just mix some of the sand and glue (about 2 parts sand to 1 part glue) and apply to the tracks and other areas where it would build up.
then paint a small ammount of tan paint onto the lower quarter of the tank, and then, using less glue and sand (about 3 parts sand to 1 part glue) add a little debris across the lower part of the hull of the tank/vehicle over the paint.

its good for tanks and other vehicles  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:59 am
No thanks, no PVA glue and sand. I don't want to stick sand onto my vehicles.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:19 am

Take a drill with a sanding wheel on it and lightly scar the hell out of the tank where you want the weathering. Then, drybrush with your sand color of choice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:34 am
What you really need is the Tamyia weathering kit for deserts of MIG Pigments.
MIG link:
http://www.migproductions.com/

Tamiya link:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=87079

Or you could use ground down pastels brushed on with a makeup brush and sealed on with dull coat.  

dwerger13

1,950 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

savage-everlong

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:12 pm
just take a sandy color and stripple (dab the brush) on the lower portions of the tank. it might help to wipe some of the paint off (like drybrushing) to keep it from looking sloppy (unless you want mud). you can also take a nice colored spray paint, stand back, and powder it on near the bottom of the tank. if youre really into it, ink it brown near the bottom. if you feel the need to add even MORE, line the bottom edges with boltgun metal and ink that.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:41 am
dwerger13
MIG link:

Tamiya link:

Or you could use ground down pastels brushed on with a makeup brush and sealed on with dull coat.
I tried the weathering kit from Tamiya and it really takes a lot of brushing before the effects are really visible.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

dwerger13

1,950 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:44 am
Lt. Brookman
dwerger13
MIG link:

Tamiya link:

I tried the weathering kit from Tamiya and it really takes a lot of brushing before the effects are really visible.

From what I read on WIP the Mig pigmaents are really good but you have to use the right medium to carry the pigments. Sometimes is ibu alcohol sometimes something else. I really want to try it for rust. Or the rusting kit I saw at the craft store. You paint the part you want to rust with an iron based paint and then apply an oxidizer. Looks cool on the bix but I want to see it in person.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:23 am
Sorry, but your typos are making it hard to understand what you are getting at. What I do get from all this is that I'll need special ingredients and as I said before, I want a quick and simple way of application.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:36 am
Quick and simple weathering on vehicles:

Firstly you paint the lower parts of the vehicle like the paint have been chipped off from the harsh environment, then you just take a big brush and use tausept ochre (or whatever it's called) and drybrush it (and make sure it's REALLY dry) and you get a weathered sand effect, and with a top highlight och iyanden darksun.

Don't EVER glue sand on desert vehicles, sand rarely (if ever) get stuck on vehicles, it's only the dust, which is why you just need to drybrush on them.

The best areas are around wheels/tracks for the effect.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:12 am
Lt. Brookman
Sorry, but your typos are making it hard to understand what you are getting at. What I do get from all this is that I'll need special ingredients and as I said before, I want a quick and simple way of application.

Sorry I answer questions after 13 hours at work. So i've been up for 18 hours at this point. burning_eyes  

dwerger13

1,950 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:55 pm

Yeah...Brookman, why not use the Tamiya Texture Stick for sand? You said in the past that you really liked the Mud and Snow sticks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:58 pm
They've released new sticks? I only know of the snow and mud stick, of which I sometimes use the mud stick for tank tracks.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:23 am

Tamiya Sand Stick

I'm sure you can find a better place to order this, I'm just pointing it out.

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff