themorganashley

IRL Conventioneer

7,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:58 pm
Dkillerman
DANGER DANGER DANGER GOGGLE.COM IS EVILLLL IT WILL BLOW UP UR COMPUTER AND HERE IS VIDEO PROOF!!! www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfw9yWTOruE&feature=related

The quote above was said by Dkillerman at The Completely Random Guild. His warning (and the video) may seem fake, but I did a bit of research and found out that those endless warnings and YouTube videos are telling the absolute truth.

www.goggle.com is a type of hacking/spamming called typosquatting. Typosquatting is when a person makes a website spelled only a tiny bit differently than another website, usually a popular website such as Google. You see, when the victim misspells the website they really meant to go to, they are taken to the typosquat website which messes with them in some way. For instance, a child could misspell www.pbskids.org and be taken to a different website that has many explict words and images. As you can see, you'll always have to be on your guard and have up-to-date security on your computer.

In the case of goggle.com, you will be taken to an advertisement that says you've won a prize. There will be lots of prizes to choose from. I suspect that is also a scam, but it's not the main danger. The real bad stuff is the countdown in the top right corner. When the countdown is almost at its end, your computer will be bombarded with pop-ups and Spyware. This hasn't happened to me, but I'll just trust YouTube.

What I don't understand is that the government isn't doing anything to shut down stupid Goggle. No, not Google. I mean evil Goggle. Confusing, isn't it? Anyway, there are thousands of videos, blogs, etc. that warn the public about Goggle, but nobody has made any progress in destroying it. So until then, don't go there. Well, the countdown starts at 5 minutes, so you can check out Goggle for a little bit without being at risk. But please zip out 'o' there once you're done looking.

Thank you for heeding this warning.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:42 pm
User Image

.:. Ah....you just inspired me to never use google :3
Thank you for the warning wahmbulance .:.

User Image

Ayersi

Popular Sex Symbol

8,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Elmihy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:08 pm
*is tempted to check out goggle to see for herself*
XD
I agree that typosquatting is a horrible trick, but I don't understand why you think the government should shut down the site. Now, before you think I'm some evil person, I'm not against the site being shut down, but the government doing it. According to the constitution, we are given freedom of speech and the government cannot take this away. you could say that goggle is hurting people, so the government should intervene, but the internet is not their turf, and once they start deleting websites (if they even have the power to do so) it will open a whole can of worms. Yes, the deletion of websites would start off as a good thing, but it is one step closer to becoming like other countries who ban the use of the internet, and the possibility of the withdrawal of our freedom will loom ever nearer. Even though this seems rather morbid and overexaggerated, the balance between the government and the people is very carefully maintained, and often the start of dictatorships started with small, seemingly harmless things.

Thanks for getting the message out. Personally, I'll stay away from the site, and keep the government out of it.

heart User Image heart

~ELmihy  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:47 pm
User Image
User Image

EMODINOSAIDWHAT?!

I use the search engine at the top right corner of Firefox/Explorer. Just set it to Google. :3

User ImageThe Dino Has SpokenUser Image

Emo_Like_A_Dinosaur

A Glitch ln The Matrix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:41 pm
I don't even want to check it out. I had a similar thing with pop ups happen earlier. Luckily I got out in time though.
I suppose it was my own fault. I'm always looking for torrents and free stuff. That's how they lure you in. gonk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:19 pm
OMG I didn't know that O.O that's a bit scary(im a noob in here :3)  

September feild

Septembers sun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:24 pm
Oh my gosh!D: with all that and no one has done anything to get rid of that web site?!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:41 pm
Elmihy
*is tempted to check out goggle to see for herself*
XD
I agree that typosquatting is a horrible trick, but I don't understand why you think the government should shut down the site. Now, before you think I'm some evil person, I'm not against the site being shut down, but the government doing it. According to the constitution, we are given freedom of speech and the government cannot take this away. you could say that goggle is hurting people, so the government should intervene, but the internet is not their turf, and once they start deleting websites (if they even have the power to do so) it will open a whole can of worms. Yes, the deletion of websites would start off as a good thing, but it is one step closer to becoming like other countries who ban the use of the internet, and the possibility of the withdrawal of our freedom will loom ever nearer. Even though this seems rather morbid and overexaggerated, the balance between the government and the people is very carefully maintained, and often the start of dictatorships started with small, seemingly harmless things.

Thanks for getting the message out. Personally, I'll stay away from the site, and keep the government out of it.

heart User Image heart

~ELmihy

Well, in my opinion, deleting a website by any means can be a Herculean task, and cannot be done by one government, state or federal. As most of you know, the WWW usually after http:// means world wide web, and so deleting the website cannot be done by any single country or just several countries. Providers of Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or otherwise could block the website from users, but the only true way to guarantee security is to gather the countries together, and if countries agree that the website serves no purpose except to harm computers, then they could shut it down. Otherwise, the creators of the World Wide Web could delete it.  

PinkDawg

Phenylketonuriak

6,350 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:45 pm
Uh... I went into it and it's just a blank page which says "Goggle.com" in the top left corner... xD  
Serious Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games