Submit

perfect characters?
  yes
  no
View Results

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:13 pm
I was thinking of yet another thing I dislike in stories: the perfect character. You know, the one with no flaws, no weaknesses, can do anything at the first try, etc. Even worse is when this perfect character is given a stupid "flaw" that isn't really a flaw at all! A story is supposed to be about the main character growing and over coming internal, as well as, external flaws.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:28 pm
the stories with the main character growing as the story progresses are the best ones  

evil_sheep

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:23 pm
Exactly! That's one of the main foundations of a story: character growth. It's kinda hard for a character to grow, in any meaningful way, when it is already perfect.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:26 pm
Coming-of-age stories are always my favourite, and come on, have ever heard of a perfect adolescent?

Perfect characters are all to often created by authors who just want to make money. There are people who idolise these figures. Just look at the Twilight Saga...

Foolish Catalyst

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:09 pm
Foolish Catalyst
Coming-of-age stories are always my favourite, and come on, have ever heard of a perfect adolescent?

Perfect characters are all to often created by authors who just want to make money. There are people who idolise these figures. Just look at the Twilight Saga...

Yes, Twilight is a perfect example.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:18 pm
Maze353
Foolish Catalyst

I've never read the book, a lot of people say I should. So how is it that the characters are perfect to the point of being mary-sues?  

Kateryna of Kyiv

Minerva the Bookwyrm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:12 pm
Someone isn't a "hero" if he or she is perfect already. It's being able to overcome weaknesses that prove a person is strong; not possessing no weknesses in the first place.

Twilight is awful! *shudders* The characters are grossly underdeveloped and readers are expected to take them at face value. burning_eyes

Adam Sinclair, the star of The Adept by Kurtz and Harris, is waaay too perfect. However, the development of the second-most prominent character in the series, an artist named Peregrine Lovat, is done exceptionally well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:10 am
REM Sleep
Maze353
Foolish Catalyst

I've never read the book, a lot of people say I should. So how is it that the characters are perfect to the point of being mary-sues?

Well, Bella, the main character is OTT angsty and never stops moaning, sort of "OMG, he doesn't love. OMG, he loves me. OMG, vampires are so awesome. OMG, bite me Edward, bite me, I want to be perfect like you so I can live with you forever but I don't want to get married 'cause thats too much commitment and my mother won't approve etc, but I want to be beautiful and I don't want to be clumsy any more etc, etc."

Basically your typical teenager who doesn't fit in anywhere, until something mundane happens, and then everyone loves her and hails her as the most adorable, perfect, beautiful person on the face of the earth and she's the only person who doesn't realise it.

And then there are the vampires. Good at everything they do, rich, immortal and beautiful to boot - completely flawless - it really gets on your nerves after a while.

Okay, I've ranted on and on and not really answered your question properly. But maybe you have some idea now.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the Twilight saga, but its for the story, not the characters.

Foolish Catalyst

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff