Submit

Sappy Endings?
  yes
  no
View Results

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:16 pm
I have noticed that there are some authors whose idea of a happy ending is one were all the "good" characters end up marrying or living with their one true love. I can't stand these endings. To me it is unbelievable and irritating.
Now, I can understand one or two characters finding their true love, but all of them? Especially when there is a large cast of of like 8 or more characters? confused Plus, not everyone's idea of a happy ending includes gettin' hitched.
How do ya'll feel about it?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:09 pm
I like endings where some people are happy--but others aren't. Robin Hobb probably has my favorite endings so far. Everything turns out all right in the end. It just isn't quite as the characters wanted it to happen. I hate endings where characters overcome all odds and manage to win and everything's exactly as they wanted it. How unrealistic.  

NightIntent
Captain

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:48 pm
Its boring too. Authors who have perfect endings for the characters, I usually ony read 2 maybe 3 of their books because what's the point? They all end the same.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:59 pm
I get SO sick of those cheesy endings where everything works out perfectly for the "good guys." I mean, things going good for them is acceptable, but to work out so unbelievably perfectly just totally detracts from my enjoyment and regard of the book and the author.

(This goes for movies, too!)  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

pkmn1995

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:51 am
i think some books/movies is alright to have those endings...but all of them??? that's just too much....don't like it at all...  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:17 pm
Maze353, you sounded like you were referring to the epilogue in Harry Potter with the "everyone getting hitched" thing. You were, weren't you? wink

As far as sappy ending go, I think they're okay if they fit the tone of the book. It it's a light-hearted story of course everything will turn out okay. It's meant to be a "feel good read," like The Princess bride. However, books that are darker with epic struggles somehow turning out perfectly tend to make me annoyed with the author.

For example, I love Lord of the Rings, but it's unrealistic for ALL the members of the Fellowship to live considering all of the battles they were in. None of them even lost a limb, for God's sake! (No, Frodo's finger doesn't count.) In Harry Potter none of the children die (unless you count Fred, which admittedly was a bit depressing) and that also bothered me.

I must agree with you there, NightIntent; Robin Hobb is great at endings, and writing in general. Any of you that read the Bartimaeus trilogy also know that its ending is realistic and beautifully done as well.

Minerva the Bookwyrm

Catred

Magnetic Sex Symbol

5,850 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Fluff Rehab 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:49 pm
I don't like stories with that 'Oh everythings so great and swell for us good guys!' ending. My favorite books end with the hero ether becoming more confused and not knowing which way is up any more or the ones were the bad guy gets a happy life while the hero is killed or has a horrible life afterwards. (Which I really actully hate to say.)  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:29 pm
Actually Minerva, I was referring to David Eddings' & Mercedes Lacky's books. I didn't really think Harry Potter fit because Rowlings killed off quite a few characters. Now Eddings & Lackey... stressed ! Everyone will live happily ever after! They hardly ever kill off anyone! Though, now that you mention it, it is odd that in LotR no main characters died in battle....

One authour I read was really, really bad. Even after she killed off a character he/she would come back as a spirit/ghost and carry on like nothing had changed! That was incredibly irritating.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Quilue Lamia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:36 pm
Maze353
Actually Minerva, I was referring to David Eddings' & Mercedes Lacky's books. I didn't really think Harry Potter fit because Rowlings killed off quite a few characters. Now Eddings & Lackey... stressed ! Everyone will live happily ever after! They hardly ever kill off anyone! Though, now that you mention it, it is odd that in LotR no main characters died in battle....

One authour I read was really, really bad. Even after she killed off a character he/she would come back as a spirit/ghost and carry on like nothing had changed! That was incredibly irritating.

Would you be referring to Vanyel?? haha.
I agree with you completely, But i still love Mercedes Lackey. Its rather annoying when after reading one book of hers you can foresee the ending in pretty much all of her other books. That's why I've stopped reading her books for the time being, and i only go back to them when im in the mood for that happy ending you dislike so much.

Also, not even do none of the characters die in LotR's but they all end up with someone and live happily ever after. However, I don't think i would have appreciated it if any of them had died. But then, I'm a sucker.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:45 pm
I like sappy endings in moderation. Now, I do like an occasional kill off tons of charaters-leave the hero in pain kinda ending. It's a secret love of mine. Whenever I write stories, I kill off the last character anyone thinks of. For some reason, everyone loves that character, so they make me rewrite the ending.
but I keep the original ending
twisted  

IncompleteConspiracy

Shameless Witch

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:01 pm
I have no problem with happy endings, persay, where the bad guy loses & one of the heroes gets the girl/guy. But when all the good guys gets a girl/guy and none of them ever die and stay dead, in every single book?

Lackey is bad about this. I was so happy when Vanyel died, and so irritated when she brought him back. She did the same thing in the Obsidian trilogy with the female main character. Had her die & then be reborn in such a way that every knew it was her.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:49 pm
I hate it when the author kills a character, but brings it back later in the book. Make up your mind! Also, it's overused, and makes for what's usually a crappy ending.  

IncompleteConspiracy

Shameless Witch

Nimue_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:13 pm
I totally agree that if an ending is too predictable, the book gets boring. I love authors that put a twist in the plot that you never see coming.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:09 pm
Nimue_of_Avalon
I totally agree that if an ending is too predictable, the book gets boring. I love authors that put a twist in the plot that you never see coming.

Exactly! Suprise me! Keep me guessing and turning pages as fast as I can read them.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Foolish Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:34 pm
I've seen a few people mentioning Robin Hobb here. I must say, she was the first person I though of when I saw this thread. Her books are amazing, with a combination of the light-hearted and the tragic that makes my heart melt. Her endings, to the Tawny Man trilogy in particular, are just perfectly fitting to these tones.
It's not the ending that you, or the characters expected, but it is fairly happy with very little of that Happy Ever After feel that grates on me so.

Also, I have to agree with Minerva about the Bartimaeus trilogy. I cried my little heart out when I read it but yet, it did have its happier elements as well, and i smiled through the tears.

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff