Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Interesting Items at the Asian Store

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Essence of Evil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:39 am
In Tulsa there is this Asian store called Nam Hai. I love that place. There is always something there to surprise me... Whether it is an army of live crabs running loose in the store, or their completely off the wall selection of imitation meat.

They have a substitute for everything... It wasn't that cheap, so I just stuck with VegeUSA's "orange chicken" and "ginger chicken" because they looked familiar. But they had fake duck, ham, snails, and ground hogs head.

Think about that.
Did you know there was a market for vegan snail? Vegan hogs head paste?
WTF?

Anyway, I haven't tried it, but it looks good. I suggest looking for ethnic markets in your town, there always a great place to find something new.

http://www.tulsa.tv/Nam-Hai-Oriental-Foods-propage-14359.htm
http://www.vegeusa.com/  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:49 am
i live out in the middle of nowhere. the closest asain market is about an hour && a half away, && that's with no traffic... crying
but in the health food store i go to they have imitation chorizo && faux mexican cheeses, it's so boss. :]  

pinkcatminht

Byelobogh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:07 pm
That's awesome! I love imitation crab meat. It tastes good with a couple of ritz crackers and miracle whip. But I'm not sure if miracle whip has any dairy in it, so that's why I haven't bought any. ._.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:17 pm
We have a large Hmong population where I live so there's generally one Asian foods store in every part of town.

The bad thing is that they don't have any of the Asian foods that I'm looking for. My bf and I are interested in Japanese food and, sadly, there aren't any Japanese in the area. So.... seaweed is hard to find.  

Kasumi Ocada

Smitten Citizen

6,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Contributor 150

This Old Oscillator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:56 am
There's a store called May Wah that specializes in that stuff. You can order from them online here - http://www.vegieworld.com/  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:45 pm
Dia Dementia
i live out in the middle of nowhere. the closest asain market is about an hour && a half away, && that's with no traffic... crying
but in the health food store i go to they have imitation chorizo && faux mexican cheeses, it's so boss. :]
Mmmm... I used to be addicted to those greasy authentic Mexican tacos but now that I found fake chorizo I'm pretty much all set.  

The Essence of Evil

PiercedPixie2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:06 pm
V e g a n i z a t i o n
That's awesome! I love imitation crab meat. It tastes good with a couple of ritz crackers and miracle whip. But I'm not sure if miracle whip has any dairy in it, so that's why I haven't bought any. ._.

I love imitation crab meat, we pretty much ate that since i can remember since it's cheappppp ^^ Mm...throw that in a Cesar salad and i am happy : D

As for asian markets, we have no asians where i live. It's pretty much black folks and mexicans, so i go to Sevenanda grocer. Which is an organic grocery store ^^  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:29 pm
Where I live there's tons of Asians. But my closest Asian grocery has fish for sale that is killed in a room with huge window right next to the vegges and they had a display of dead ducks for sale too . Luckily I've found other stores that sell miso and silken tofu witch were the only things I bought there away.  

Catherine teh Vegan

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff