Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Holographic_Mind's Gallery

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Holographic_Mind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:19 pm
Well i started a new project.

http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2hrv9.gif

Its a vector of a friend, any critiques is welcome of what I have so far. Damn IMG tag refuses to work properly  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:14 am
It's far too small for anyone to tell you anything.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Holographic_Mind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:16 pm
Fixed the last post, and I started a new project yesterday. This one is a bit dark, and its cover for a song that i keep listening to. lol

http://img352.imageshack.us/my.php?image=palenbluecoveros2.jpg

Update: http://deathlustx.deviantart.com/art/Pale-and-Blue-cover-96639170  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:50 am
For the vector, because we can't see the original image (if you're using a photo) I still can't say much besides it's very smooth. I'm not sure what you're going for, but it you make your line segments for your tangents smaller, you can get a lot more edge detail. A good vector has strong silhouettes.

For the album cover, I have no idea what I'm looking at. The type is falling back into the image and that's not something I could see from a distance and know what's going on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that for a CD? Cause if it is, think as though it will be in a store. You want people to see if from a short distance so they go right to it. You also want things to stand out so it draws people.

Think of a design for anything as "how can I tell people what I want them to know in one glance" The best designs are simple and informative in a glance, while interesting enough to get people to look longer and then drink in the details.

Can you give a little more information about the song/CD/band? That can help me advise you better.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Holographic_Mind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:28 am
The image under the vector is a webcam shot, and the resolution is horrible, but ill take your advise and see if i can make more detail for something I cant see.

The single cover was just for fun, believe I was a little overzealous with fixing my mistakes by adding too much grunge texture over most of the image. which is taking out a lot of the depth I had, thus making it a complicated design.Think i'll post another design I made for fun to see if thats what you meant.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. I never finished this.

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games