Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Hand Crafted or Not? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:10 pm
When it comes to those sacred things in our traditions, making something by hand can be very fulfilling.

It can also be a pain in the a**- one that is reflected by the fact that some of these arts are dieing out- they've been industrialized because they are bloody annoying, sometimes backbreaking work.

So- what are your opinions of hand made sacred objects and mass production?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:22 pm
I can't say I've made many sacred things in my life, let alone by hand; but I have to admit I find the process beautiful and that depending on what exactly you're making, a great deal of emotion and time goes into it, as well as personalization. Your sweat and if you're not careful, blood will go into it to make it sacred, to make it have a personal connection to you. Mass production, I feel looses that touch. It isn't a personal matter anymore, as it should be. It is refined and polished and made perfect. And they all look alike. That is something that when you make an item yourself that will never happen. Solider-like uniformity is next to impossible to have in your personal collection and something, I feel, you shouldn't have. It makes it just a mere "pretty thing" then, it isn't personal to you anymore.

My mother used to hand make my clothes when I was growing up. I was raised Catholic (till the age of ten), and as a result had my First Communion. The dress my mother made for me for the event took six months to make, as she embroidered most of the designs on the fabric individually. The dress was worn by me and my two younger sisters when they took their Communion. It was however, lost about a year ago when I left my parent's home.  

puerdemon

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:13 am
Being able to handcraft your own things would be wonderful, and it is sad that many of us just can't find the time needed to attend to such a task. It doesn't help that some of us aren't very artistic either. While I don't like mass produced items, I think they can serve a purpose if you have no other choice, as long as you properly consecrate them. When I first started out, I can say that I didn't really care one way or another. Now I usually try to find things that are handcrafted, so that they are either one of a kind or one of a very limited number. Even if I can't be the one doing it, it is that much more meaningful to know that someone took their time and energy to make something that is special to me.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:12 am
I make the majority of what I need, these days. Bear in mind I also 'work from home' with my jewelry website, and otherwise have the time to devote to my pursuits.

I don't like seeing old arts die out. I think that's something I inherited with my upbringing - my grandfather was a traditional artist who carved decoys for a living. All of his children practice some sort of craft or art, and were raised in the country and on the country. I know my mother passed that along to us, at least. I feel blessed by my upbringing, knowing that it's not all that common now, with populations largely accumulating in urban centres.

That being said, there's plenty of mass produced things I use when I'm creating something. I try, most of the time, to make it all myself, or include other people's handicraft if I can't...but sometimes there's no way around using something made commercially. I like to buy local. I like to buy Canadian, at the very least. I try to buy things made with quality, and not at the exploitation of others.

But for the most part, I make what I need, and what my coven might need. I have the time, and the skills, and I willingly sacrifice that and the energy required. to create items and tools with quality and connection.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:27 am
Depends on the object, and my attention span at the moment.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:49 am
All of the objects that I could have made myself I have bought from a store. The bowls I use in offerings, the incense holder, etc. are things I could make myself given the resources, the ability, and the time. At the moment, though, it's the best I've got, and will have to suffice until such a time where I might craft these items myself.

Hand-made is always going to have more personal value, excepting perhaps an item given as a gift, and I would think they are "better" in this sense. When I was younger, my father "lent" me a Catholic rosary made of plastic, and it felt cheap. The personal attachment (had there been any) could have outweighed that, but it's how it always felt to me. Mass produced items can feel soulless, which seems at odds with their use in this regard.  

Tagra Nar

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:49 am
As soon as I get replacement junior hacksaw blades, I'll be returning to my cherry wood Ogham set.
I also make charms for people from wood.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:03 am
I'm currently in the process of binding a book that I am going to translate my Baba's journal into. I bought the linen thread, the parchment, the leather and the needles. My friend loaned me a book press and I am likely going to make my own paste.

The quality of the base materials is not something I have the time or equipment to replicate.

If I can do a better job of it myself, I will. If I cannot- I would rather pay someone for their fine work than to use my poor work to substitute.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:41 am
Depends on the nature of the item.

If an item is going to be offered to the gods, I would prefer to make it myself because it makes it just that little bit more special. ^_^

Similarly, I'd like to make my own divination tools ( I don't currently but hopefully that will change). I think I'm pretty good at using ordinary playing cards, and I think a hand drawn set would be awesome. heart

Otherwise, items themselves don't hold any special power so I use what is practical, what matches the decor and what is to my tastes.
My bowl is not symbolic for anything, it's to put stuff in.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:03 pm
TeaDidikai
I'm currently in the process of binding a book that I am going to translate my Baba's journal into. I bought the linen thread, the parchment, the leather and the needles. My friend loaned me a book press and I am likely going to make my own paste.

The quality of the base materials is not something I have the time or equipment to replicate.

If I can do a better job of it myself, I will. If I cannot- I would rather pay someone for their fine work than to use my poor work to substitute.
My father is going to help me make a binder out of wood and a hinge. I'm going to put rituals, prayers, and notes in it. Anything I have a connection to.  

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:28 pm
patch99329

Similarly, I'd like to make my own divination tools ( I don't currently but hopefully that will change). I think I'm pretty good at using ordinary playing cards, and I think a hand drawn set would be awesome. heart

Hand-drawn divination cards are hell to make, so to speak. I found the ones I made 3 years ago yesterday and I promptly threw them in the recycling because they were so badly drawn and half of them weren't even finished.

I do have a handmade clay altar to Set that I made in art class. That was my first connection to Him, except I didn't know it at the time. It's still around, and I'm going to try and smuggle it into my university dorm (my parents will wonder why I want a "useless" thing there).  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:36 pm
loona wynd

My father is going to help me make a binder out of wood and a hinge. I'm going to put rituals, prayers, and notes in it. Anything I have a connection to.

Oh man...everytime I see one those wooden binders as a "book of shadows" I shudder. Mostly because I'm a handmaiden - it's our responsibility to hold up the book in ritual and carry them around, usually with one arm, and a candle in the other. Our really big books weigh a ton as it is - just a leatherbound sketchbook idea our high priestess lovingly refers to as "maidenkillers". I cannot imagine how much weight having a wooden cover would add. gonk

Mind you, if you're not carrying the thing around in ritual one-handed, you probably don't care how much it weighs! xp  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:35 pm
SpaceTerminal Destiny

Hand-drawn divination cards are hell to make, so to speak. I found the ones I made 3 years ago yesterday and I promptly threw them in the recycling because they were so badly drawn and half of them weren't even finished.
That's too bad. I would have loved to have seen them.

Myself, I'm working on my own deck. I have carved the block to print the back, and I have about a quarter of the fronts finished.

Morgandria

Oh man...everytime I see one those wooden binders as a "book of shadows" I shudder. Mostly because I'm a handmaiden - it's our responsibility to hold up the book in ritual and carry them around, usually with one arm, and a candle in the other. Our really big books weigh a ton as it is - just a leatherbound sketchbook idea our high priestess lovingly refers to as "maidenkillers". I cannot imagine how much weight having a wooden cover would add. gonk

Mind you, if you're not carrying the thing around in ritual one-handed, you probably don't care how much it weighs! xp
Sometimes you can buy 1/8th inch thick hardwood that make for lovely covers without adding a whole lot of weight.

I like your High Priestess' sense of humor though. twisted  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:07 am
TeaDidikai
SpaceTerminal Destiny

Myself, I'm working on my own deck. I have carved the block to print the back, and I have about a quarter of the fronts finished.

No you wouldn't. While that was also my stage of time where I was exploring other religions the most, that I was also the time when I was the most fluffiest. It make sme shudder and that deck of cards reflected that fluffiness.  

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:43 am
SpaceTerminal Destiny
TeaDidikai
SpaceTerminal Destiny

No you wouldn't. While that was also my stage of time where I was exploring other religions the most, that I was also the time when I was the most fluffiest. It make sme shudder and that deck of cards reflected that fluffiness.
I really would have actually. Sometimes it is neat to reflect upon how much you've grown.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff