Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:27 am
Has anyone read any of her books?

She's written The Walker Papers--of which there are currently three books--which is pretty good, but I odn't know when the fourth one is gonna come out, and the third book had a lot of loose ends and has been out for over a year. She also has two more trilogies out: The Negotiator trilogy (the third of which is coming out in about a week) and The Inheritors' Cycle. At least, I think the second one is a trilogy. <.< I'm not entirely sure.

All in all, I like her books. The Walker Papers, I'm kind of sick of waiting for the next book. There's no title, no sample chapter, no information for it at all on her site. The Negotiator trilogy is good. I like it a lot. I've read about half of the first book in The Inheritors' Cycle (the only one that's out), and I'm a bit disappointed in it. I was expecting it to be a lot better than it is. Maybe it'll get better.

She's also written some action-adventure books under the name Cate Dermody, which I believe are out of print.

Any opinions on her books?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:32 am
waaaah! love CE Murphy!
walker papers are amazing, and i've read the first two of the Negotiator. I'm just wondering, when did she defeat a banshee and is there a book about it or did she just mention it?  

Mikiela

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:29 pm
It was in a story in an anthology. Something about a moon.... Winter Moon? The information/title is on her website, along with a teaser.

I hate when authors mention stuff from anthologies, especially when I haven't read the anthology. <.<  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:45 am
gotcha. but yay! i just got winter moon out from the library!  

Mikiela

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:05 pm
I'll read it eventually. XD  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:46 am
I want to write something about this author, but I'm all typed out and should really get to bed. XD So I'm bumping this up so that I remember to write something tomorrow.  

NightIntent
Captain

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:21 pm
I started her Walker Papers series. The first book, Urban Shaman, was good but I quit after Coyote Dreams. I got so sick of listening to Walker whine about how she didn't want her powers.

I get that discovering her powers late in life was a shock and I'd expect an adjustment period. However, in the first book she seemed to come to terms with her new found abilities, dealt with the bad guys, and got on with things. Then in Thunderbird Falls it was like the author just changed her mind and decided to make Walker do a 180. So it was all "I don't want these powers, this is too much, I don't want the responsibility" and son on and so forth. After two books of that I was done.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:16 pm
The books vary for me. Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't. One of them I literally could not remember if I read it or not, so I bought it and then started reading it and realized, hey, this sounds familiar. So I returned it. Although I have to say, the last book wasn't too terrible, aside from the one stupid plot twist that ended the book before that and was the basis for this book. It took place in Ireland and I liked the addition of the mythology. There was still some weird s**t going on--like time travel and whatnot--but I feel like Joann's become at least a more tolerable character.

I also read Murphy's other trilogy, House of Cards, etc. and the Pretender duology. I was not overly impressed by the Pretender one. The premise was good, but the way she went about it was not very great. It took me a really long time to get around to buying and reading the second one, and while it was sort of decent, it almos wasn't even worth the time. I mean... it just got really weird. House of Cards et. al was not as bad. I liked it. I liked the gargoyle who was one of the main characters whose name I can't remember. The main character herself was less of a twit, I feel, than the main character in the Pretender books. Those were probably my favorites by her.

My main issue is that she has no regular paperbacks out. It's all trade paperbacks. Hello, waste of $8 that I could spend on buying an entire other book.  

NightIntent
Captain

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:39 pm
I read House of Stone but just didn't really get into it, same with the Worldwalker Duology. Alban is the gargoyle from the Negotiator series.

I know! Whoever came up with the trade paperback needs to be flogged. stare  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:02 pm
I didn't even try the Worldwalker ones, and don't plan to. Her books are just so hit-or-miss with me that I don't even want to waste my time. There are umpteen million other books that I want to read more than those.  

NightIntent
Captain

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:08 pm
I "read" both of them in the bookstore and that was enough for me.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:13 pm
I just finished the 8th Walker Papers book last night. It was... interesting. I kind of like and don't like that all 8 of the books happen within a like 6 month time period, because they constantly reference earlier books and I just plain dont remember the details from the books so I get thrown out of my chain of thought when reading and have to be like, "Wait, what is she talking about?"

Anyway. It was okay. Morrisson showing up was random but entirely expected--we couldn't have two books without Morrisson. Impossible!

It was pretty good, I guess. I'm still pretty meh about the books at this point. The ending was just... what even. So stupid. Next time if you're at the bookstore and see it, just read the last page. Just. So dumb. It doesn't make me want to read the next one. That's the worst twist she could have thrown in beause it is literally so stupid to me. Even though I mostly enjoyed this book, I think I'm done with the series.

However. Flying Petite made the book so worth it. rofl  

NightIntent
Captain

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Thanks for the heads up. I read the 3rd book but the 4th book is still in the "to read" stack.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games