Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Drinking Age in your state/province/country:
  Lower it!
  Raise it!
  Keep it the same!
  Er....I don't have any thoughts on this.
View Results

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:54 pm
So...

....what's your opinion on the drinking age where you live?
....what do you think about other countries drinking ages?

Is setting a limit effective, detrimental, or is it relative to the society? I want to hear your thoughts (preferably backed up by some evidence) about this subject.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:27 am
Sorry Wraith, I really don't have any backing evidence at my disposal, even though I've dealt with this particular aspect of society on a weekly basis for over 5 years. All I have is the experiences and encounters that my job presented me with over that course of time to fall back on.

Here in Arkansas, the legal drinking age is 21. There is a bill on the table in the legislature to lower the legal age to 18. There are pros and cons to both sides of the issue, and many in the state have voiced their opinions concerning this issue over the past month. Right now, it's THE hotbutton topic in the state.

my opinions on this subject:
Drink for the RIGHT reasons! Not because someone or some group tell you it's cool, hip, or the thing to do just to fit in a group.
Drink, if you truly enjoy the taste of the alcohol of your choice...
Never drink to solve a problem in your life, it never works...
Never drink while under age, it just leads to problems later down the road, you'll do enough of that in college.
Know your limits....if two drinks is all you can stand before getting too intoxicated, then learn how to nurse those 2 drinks for as long as possible, and switch to soda or water afterward. It doesn't make you a wuss, just a smarter adult than the average underager.
NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE!!!! if you can't sober up by the time the party is over, then be prepared to stay till you are....no matter what time it is, or where you have to be the next morning!
Be prepared to face the consequences of your actions the next day, the "i don't remember a thing" excuse is a lie. you remember everything you do while drinking, and will remember it for a long time. Funny how the brain executes the "selective memory" option when it thinks it's going to get into trouble.

In answer to your question, Wraith, I feel that the current age limit of 21 is sufficient to effectively curb the destructive tendencies of those underage.
The only problem that exists, in my mind, is the total lack of harsher penalties for those that imbibe while under the age of 21. The 18 to 20 demographic is more likely to wind up dead or injured from excessive drinking than someone over the age of 21. In Arkansas, it's more like a slap on the wrist, than true consequences for drinking underage, therefore everyone tries it while they're young in the state...sad but true. Is it effective? well, at a limit of 21, the 16-20 demographic is more likely to imbibe in that timeframe, as they are doing now. If the limits are lowered down to 18, an even younger demographic (maybe the 12 to 17 age groups) are affected and tempted to try alcohol as peerpressure is a universally recognized evil.

Now..before the underage crowd gets in a hissy over my opinion, let me say that I was, once upon a time, under 21, and made many many mistakes involving alcohol, and if I could go back and change the past...I would in a heartbeat. I can't tell you what to do (I wouldn't even begin to try), but I would strongly urge you to consider my words in your computations of a "fun time", and make it home safe and sound from wherever you may journey in this life. play it smart, play it safe.  

Keevan Draco

Eskimos are so gay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:20 pm
I agree with your point about not drinking and driving, obviously, but I don't agree with the rest much. I don't know many people who drink alcohol just because it tastes good. Drinking underage only leads to problems if you're a ******** idiot and do it at huge parties or drive afterwards or something.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:59 pm
This is basically my view on the drinking age:

I do not believe that people should have to wait until they are 21 to drink, but I don't think the age should be changed. I think it's best if people start drinking illegally around the age of 18. T

he ones who get in trouble this way will most likely be the ones who got too drunk and did something dumb afterwards (stole something, hurt someone, etc.). This will weed out the people who aren't fit to drink yet.

Lowering the age will only make people start drinking illegally younger. I don't think 7th graders and 8th graders should be drinking, but this would probably happen much more often if the age was lowered.  

Eskimos are so gay

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:43 am
Drinking age in Australia is 18. That seems to work pretty well.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:57 pm
Now here in Mississippi the legal drinking age is 21. Now with me and my family we agree that if your 18 then you can drink around us, for us that are younger than 21 we give the family the cash to go get us the drinks that we like. I dont think a person should get drunk, prob buzzed but not drunk of there a**. Getting drunk usaly dusnt work out so good. I personaly like wine and mixed drinks, just cant stand beer. Aslong as you dont drink enuff for it to become a prob and you drink every once in a while then there realy is no prob with drinking. I see that its better to drink than it is to go and do drugs.  

Spike23080

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:48 am
I'm over the drinking age... not that the drinking age ever stopped me mind you.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:44 am
I mostly ignore that law, to tell the truth. It's not like it's the only illegal substance I've consumed.

Personally, I think it boils down to don't-overdo-it-and-don't-get-caught-unless-you're-over-twenty-one.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

SADERR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:31 pm
Eskimos are so gay

Lowering the age will only make people start drinking illegally younger. I don't think 7th graders and 8th graders should be drinking, but this would probably happen much more often if the age was lowered.

I'm going into grade 9. I've only drunken small amounts with family, and never been drunk, but I can assure you drinking in grades 7/8 is VERY common actually. It might have been because my school was near townhouses/projects, but there was quite a few kids who drink under age.

Here in canada we have a legal drinking age of 19. My brother is getting me smashed on my 16th. I think it'd be an experience, but drinking doesn't appeal to me much. Shitfaced drunk appeals even less, but it's still an experience.

I think our country's legal drinking age isn't that bad. By 19 you should be responsible enough to drink. But people will always drink underage. Most people end up okay when drinking underage, but some people do stupid stuff.
There will always be responsible and irresponsible legal drinkers, and there will always be responsible and irresponsible illegal drinkers. Really nothing you can do to change that.
I live in the city, but most my family lives in the county. By 16-17 they usually will give you some to drink, but they know how to limit you for sure. Family gatherings are always fun.  
Extended Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games