Submit

Well is it?
  Yes
  No
  Gold :p
View Results

Foxglow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:10 am
My music taste seems to be getting heavier and heavier over time, and not only that, it seems to be going back in time too....

I've always liked bands like Rammstein and Fear Factory, mixed in with a lot of other, softer, alternative music.

Then I got into Cradle and Pantera, and Japanese metal :p

Then my boyfriend took me to an Iron Maiden concert about a month and a half ago (I abhorred Iron Maiden for a long, long time) and suddenly the world of 80s metal is my oyster.

Can't get enough of Maiden, Priest, Metallica, et al.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and also if anyone can recommend any bands to check out? The next band I wanted to chack out properly were Slayer - anyone give me an idea where to start?

Cheers smile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:33 pm
In about a year, you'll hate a lot of metal and hard rock. If you're lucky.

EDIT: I know what you'd like!

Industrial music. Noise. Power Electronics.

My taste went like this:

Country Pop -> Rap/Pop -> Hating Rap and Pop, only liking Hard Rock -> Liking some metal -> Liking Punk -> Liking Post-Punk and Industrial -> Liking Post-Punk, Industrial, and a whole bunch of other stuff INCLUDING pop and rap.  

Eyelash Curlers and Stars

This Old Oscillator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:37 pm
As far as Slayer goes, don't waste your time with anything other than Seasons In The Abyss, Reign In Blood and South of Heaven.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:15 am
I wouldn't particularly say that my tastes have gotten heavier, but I do now have a a broader taste that extends towards heavy, abrasive, and atonal music.

Growing up, I mostly heard pretty sweet, melodic pop music. My mom, being a Detroit native and a teen of the 60's, was really into Motown, and later, into more folky pop. My dad never really listened to music until he was in college, at which point he listened mostly to pop music. As a kid, when driving in the car with my parents, I'd hear a lot of BeeGees, Supremes, Elton John, Temptations, Barry Manilow, Billy Joel, the Mamas and the Papas, the Carpenters, and Abba, among others.

This was pretty much what I listened to until I was in late middle-school, when I started branching out and looking for artists on my own. For a while, only obviously melodic music attracted me. Over time, I grew more patient of other types of music.

It's really only been in the last year or two that I've started getting into industrial, noise, no-wave, and other abrasive genres.  

GilAskan
Crew

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:53 pm
My taste just expanded, it didn't really change. The only part that changed was be starting to like The Beatles a bit more.

Being really general, I started off with Punk->Goth->Metal->Classic Rock->Grunge->Some 'Alternative' stuff. That's where the list ends.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:18 pm
Everyday I also like something new so its the same for me too  

Sakura Dream Life

xX-DeadMansParty-Xx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:55 pm
My music is getting lighter.
I used to like industrial rock and metal when I was 13, now at 17 I perfer The Beatles, Emilie Autumn, Evanescence, Voltaire, Siouxsie and the Banshees(which isn't exactly a lighter sound, but I enjoy it much so <3) and stuff like that.
I also listen to alot of soundtracks from musicals and Disney Movies(my guilty pleasure <3)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:19 pm
Motorhead maybe? They have quite a few good songs.

Nothing wrong with expanding your taste in music. And don't ever be embarrassed about stuff you used to listen to smile  

trampyre

broken_joker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:30 am
You might disagree or not like them...but the rasmus might appeal to you. James Hetfield has said that they remind him of some late 70's/early 80's bands.

I agree with trampyre on motorhead - try girlschool as well.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:02 pm
"Equality is a chain, like obedience..."

Personally over the last year I've pretty much stopped listening to any metal or hard rock.
I guess I just grew out of it.
Nowadays when I listen to it I just can't take it, so I quickly switch it off, which is wierd for me because I used to love power metal, and my friends are basically nothing but metallists.

"Like fear or uncertainty or self doubt."

L Ron Jeremy

Aged Hunter

NokomisSnape

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:41 pm
Everyone's music choices change as they get older...trust me, I have a box of CDs that I think "wtf?" when I look through them.

Nothing bad about that. It's just life smile There are some bands that I've loved for years and I still love (like The Cure).  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:57 pm
Been there...
My journey: Jazz and Cyndi Lauper(parents from two different worlds)>Madonna>Bone thugs n' harmony/Jay-Z>Christina Aguilera>Old soul and R&B>pop takes over again>Fall out boy>Cradle of Filth>Evanescence> and now I like melodic metal, "fun-dark-dance-music(The Birthday Massacre/Stolen Babies stuff)" and R&B again with intervals of classical stuff (Yay Franz Liszt!) >_<

AdrianaKitten

AEtherclaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:36 am
my tastes mostly expanded but 1st i absolutely hate something, then i cant get enough of it.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:52 am
mine pretty much goes like this pop punk - punk rock - old school punk - a little bit of horror punk - deathrock/goth punk.

also listens to alot of metal...  

doom1000

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:00 am
I listen to pretty much everything. I pretty much always have except for a breif summer where I only listened to hard rock and metal and thought everything else sucked, ha, preteen ignorance.  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff