Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Emo Guild

Back to Guilds

What do you think genius? Its a guild for emo's. 

Reply Extended Discussion
A Discussion About What Emo is.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Itchy_Ichigo_12321

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:39 am
Okay, I wanna clear up what has become a very dramatic event. I want to discuss what emo is. Arguments are welcome as long as you are intelligent about it and not just being a twit. Emo is not about thinking nobody else knows how you feel. Someone out in the vast world has probably felt what you feel at some point or other. Emo is not about being depressed all the time. Don't whine to everybody, nobody likes that. Emo is not about being a p***k about how people dress. There is most decidedly an "emo" fashion, and it's definitely changed over the years. But if you think you're the first to do something, think how large the world pop is? YOU? The FIRST? Probably not. But being emo isn't how you dress. You can be emo and wear a wetsuit around for all anybody cares. If you make fun of people or tell them they are wrong cuz they don't dress within the fashion guidelines, you're no better than the preps who tell you emos are stupid. Emo isn't about fighting over which band is more emo. Music is music. There are emo bands, but you shouldn't freak out over a band being emo or not emo. If the music's good, then listen to it. If not, then don't. I hate wearing a My Chemical Romance shirt and somebody saying, "They're not really Emo." I tell them that I don't give a flying F*** and that I like their music. Emo is not about any of that stuff. What emo really is/was is a moral statement. In keeping with the punk tradition, emo music brought up an issue that needed attention. The issue is/was this: Men have emotions. Boys can cry. It also brought cutting to people's attention. It's not telling you to do it. Some people(myself included) have or still cut. Cutting is not cool and you need help to stop. You can PM me if you need help stopping, I stopped and so can anyone else that cuts. Emo is much like what feminism was for woman. It told the world to f*** the norms for genders. Emo said that boys don't have to suck it up and live with it. Dye your hair black, wear a band tee, get some skinny jeans, wear eyeliner, have some dorky glasses, but in the end...that doesn't make you emo. Emo is an attempt to change crappy ideas and gender role assignment. Okay, that's all I wanted to say. You are free to post any arguments/ideas/questions here but remember, keep it civil. I'm not gonna be baited by flamers, I'm just gonna block you. So I hope that helps people be a little more educated and less of jerks about or within the emo culture.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:11 pm
THANK YOU!!!
I don't completely agree with your definition of emo (what about emo girls?) but I REALLY appreciate that you're not being ultra bitchy like everyone else on this site.  

RedTatsu

Itchy_Ichigo_12321

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:52 pm
Well thanks. To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure about emo girls. All i know is about how the whole moral statement was about boys not having to be the suck it up kind of boy. I'm sure there is something missing there in respect to what the female side of emo is.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:46 pm
i don't know what you said( I read 2 sntences), but To me Emo is a stare of mind.  

D_Oliver2013

[Ashes][is][Ashes]
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:46 pm
To me, it's simply a music genre.
And, Itchy?
You may want to edit your first post so it's more reader-friendly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:10 am
emo is a supposed to mean a fashion well as a music genre
by definition it is not a culture.
its like saying if your preacher listens to metallica he isnt "metal"
or if like your mom listens to greenday she isnt "punk"
but i assume the reason emmo is assumed to be a culture or some kind of "suicide cult" is because f***ing "posers" or people who think cutting themselves ,makes them "cool " or "scene"make the whole musical genre seem like a lifestyle.
but in todays pop (eww) culture it is normal for "scenes" to be associated with a musical genre, such As "gamgsters"
all based upon rap music...
same as "emo" which should only be regarded as a musical genre , not a culture. ninja  

MezzoPianoX

D-JAY-227

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:04 pm
Itchy_Ichigo_12321
Okay, I wanna clear up what has become a very dramatic event. I want to discuss what emo is. Arguments are welcome as long as you are intelligent about it and not just being a twit. Emo is not about thinking nobody else knows how you feel. Someone out in the vast world has probably felt what you feel at some point or other. Emo is not about being depressed all the time. Don't whine to everybody, nobody likes that. Emo is not about being a p***k about how people dress. There is most decidedly an "emo" fashion, and it's definitely changed over the years. But if you think you're the first to do something, think how large the world pop is? YOU? The FIRST? Probably not. But being emo isn't how you dress. You can be emo and wear a wetsuit around for all anybody cares. If you make fun of people or tell them they are wrong cuz they don't dress within the fashion guidelines, you're no better than the preps who tell you emos are stupid. Emo isn't about fighting over which band is more emo. Music is music. There are emo bands, but you shouldn't freak out over a band being emo or not emo. If the music's good, then listen to it. If not, then don't. I hate wearing a My Chemical Romance shirt and somebody saying, "They're not really Emo." I tell them that I don't give a flying F*** and that I like their music. Emo is not about any of that stuff. What emo really is/was is a moral statement. In keeping with the punk tradition, emo music brought up an issue that needed attention. The issue is/was this: Men have emotions. Boys can cry. It also brought cutting to people's attention. It's not telling you to do it. Some people(myself included) have or still cut. Cutting is not cool and you need help to stop. You can PM me if you need help stopping, I stopped and so can anyone else that cuts. Emo is much like what feminism was for woman. It told the world to f*** the norms for genders. Emo said that boys don't have to suck it up and live with it. Dye your hair black, wear a band tee, get some skinny jeans, wear eyeliner, have some dorky glasses, but in the end...that doesn't make you emo. Emo is an attempt to change crappy ideas and gender role assignment. Okay, that's all I wanted to say. You are free to post any arguments/ideas/questions here but remember, keep it civil. I'm not gonna be baited by flamers, I'm just gonna block you. So I hope that helps people be a little more educated and less of jerks about or within the emo culture.

Amen  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:17 pm

emo is not about breaking gender roles, or not being afraid to wear tight pants.
it is a music genre. that is pretty much all it is. it was not created to make a huge statement about what is wrong in the world, or at least not what you said.

osozaki girl

Fashionable Prophet

JaredWinterfresh17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:22 pm
Here I thought emo was a type of punk rock.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:10 pm
Itchy_Ichigo_12321
I LOVE YOU STRANGER ^-^  

OoPeroxidePrincessoO

fiveAsterisks

6,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:28 am
Itchy_Ichigo_12321

EMO IS ONLY A GENRE OF MUSIC.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:12 pm
Really I think Emo is just what we say about it >.>
Because it's a teen fad. It will change, accordidng to the teenagers.
Nothing like that is set in stone.  

OoPeroxidePrincessoO

Extended Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces