Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Pagan UU's Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:11 pm
My personal experience with the UU's in real life has been less than kind.

I know there are a couple UU's in the guild. I know I have a reputation for being a bit harsh- but I am sick of Culture Rapists and amoral jerks representing the UU in M&R.

I'm dismayed at the fact that members of the UU have the nerve to slander Christendom in light of the fact that a Christian UU gave his life to save a Pagan UU.

I'm disappointed in how often people justify immoral behavior as being perfectly reasonable within the Principles of the UU.

I'd like some of your opinions on the matter posted here and I would like some of the braver members to address the posts in M&R.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:31 pm
I'm sorry that your experiences with UUs have not been great, Tea. Which particular threads in M&R were you seeking help for?  

TheDisreputableDog

Sir William Black

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:26 pm
UU?

What's a UU?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:39 pm
Sir William Black
UU?

What's a UU?

Unitarian Universalist, based loosely on Calvinism. Universalism states that God is everywhere and in everything and there is no wrong way to Worship.

There's an old joke about. Unitarian Klansmen who went around and burned question marks in peoples lawns.

In short they reject much of the old European/Catholic ways of Christianity and how to interpret God. To Unitarian Universalists, God rather vague and abstract.  

LordNeuf

LordNeuf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:40 pm
TeaDidikai
I'm dismayed at the fact that members of the UU have the nerve to slander Christendom in light of the fact that a Christian UU gave his life to save a Pagan UU.

Wait what? When did this happen?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:58 pm
LordNeuf
Sir William Black
UU?

What's a UU?

Unitarian Universalist, based loosely on Calvinism. Universalism states that God is everywhere and in everything and there is no wrong way to Worship.

There's an old joke about. Unitarian Klansmen who went around and burned question marks in peoples lawns.

In short they reject much of the old European/Catholic ways of Christianity and how to interpret God. To Unitarian Universalists, God rather vague and abstract.
Sounds kinda indecisive.

I'm reading the Kiwipedia article on UU, and its principles basicly boil down to "Don't be a jerk." which is pretty much my philosophy on life.  

Sir William Black

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:27 pm
This is one such thread.

To be fair- Phantom Pimpernel is a respectful and thoughtful member of the UU, like DD, and I understand that they act as examples of what the UU has to offer.

There was another one recently as well.

It was in the last couple pages where an Atheistic UU started slamming Christians.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:46 am
LordNeuf
TeaDidikai

Wait what? When did this happen?
A couple of weeks ago. A man walked into the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church in Knoxville and started shooting people. Two members of the church died.

EDIT: I posted something, Tea. I hope that I brought out your point correctly; if not I apologize and will emend my post.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:36 am
DD- you were spot on!
Thanks.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:00 pm
TheDisreputableDog
A couple of weeks ago. A man walked into the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church in Knoxville and started shooting people. Two members of the church died.

I heard about that, guy went nutty and blamed liberals for everything wrong in his life, society and the world and went into a Unitarian Church with a 12 gauge.

What I didn't hear about was, what you are implying. That a Christian jumped in front of a bullet to defend a Pagan.  

LordNeuf

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:37 pm
LordNeuf
TheDisreputableDog

I heard about that, guy went nutty and blamed liberals for everything wrong in his life, society and the world and went into a Unitarian Church with a 12 gauge.

What I didn't hear about was, what you are implying. That a Christian jumped in front of a bullet to defend a Pagan.
Here.

We know Peaceful well enough to trust her.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:47 pm
Awhile ago this Unitarian Universalist guy came to my school and spoke about it in this world religion's thing. I'm surprised that a UU person would criticize other people's religions. I mean there's like only one rule, which is to be good, right? I can see why you're irritated. Besides, it hardly helps atheists out, since the whole reason many Christians dislike atheists is because "they're obnoxious."

I know some Christians who I think are just really good sports, all things considered. What I mean is that they catch a lot of heat for what happened in the past, or in some other church, regardless of whether or not they ever "persecuted" anyone, and they remain civil even when they're being ostracized.

Nomad of Nowhere

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:25 am
Teague the Druid
I mean there's like only one rule, which is to be good, right?
Actually, there is a series of principles and a host of bylaws.

Quote:
I can see why you're irritated. Besides, it hardly helps atheists out, since the whole reason many Christians dislike atheists is because "they're obnoxious."
People dislike people because people are obnoxious.
It isn't so much a matter of theology as much as behavior.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:23 am
TeaDidikai
Actually, there is a series of principles and a host of bylaws.

I see. Perhaps I took an attempt to condense the organization's beliefs a bit too literally. Perhaps I'm just mixed up in general.
Quote:
People dislike people because people are obnoxious.
It isn't so much a matter of theology as much as behavior.

I'm not sure I can agree. Really, many Christians seem to attribute obnoxious behavior to atheists. I see you've been around ED- you wouldn't have to look far there for examples. Being obnoxious does reflect on how people view your theology. Sometimes you can't help but represent it in the minds of the people you speak to. No, it's not just the internet I'm getting this from.  

Nomad of Nowhere

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:04 am
Teague the Druid
I see. Perhaps I took an attempt to condense the organization's beliefs a bit too literally. Perhaps I'm just mixed up in general.

Principles.
Bylaws.

Quote:
I'm not sure I can agree. Really, many Christians seem to attribute obnoxious behavior to atheists.
Many atheists behave in obnoxious ways. Prejudice isn't a justification after all.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff