O_o *twitch*
  OOOOH!! COOKIE!
  HELLO!!! ^^
  *slap* SHADDAP!
  *runs away screaming*
View Results

Elmihy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:15 pm
Yes, I know, I sound like a social worker, but this is a legitimate question that I've been asking for a while. It seems simple, that people should be kind to eachother... but why isn't it that way? Of course, there are some things, like people who are insane (like... Hitler and such) or people who are annoying (but not malicious) without realizing it... but it seems like unkindness, and sometimes just plain hatred, is much more prevalent than it should be, and things like racism cannot be accounted for by either of these reasons. I know that, even with this knowledge, I've been unkind to people, but its pretty sick when people have to commit suicide because their peers have pushed them down so much, it's just wrong. Post thoughts or musings here, but please no flaming or over-defensive posts...

heart User Image heart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:42 pm
User ImageUser Image
User ImageTwinkle twinkle little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high, User Image

User Image
Makes me think of the study of ethics. Where should one draw the line between right and wrong?

We're all humans and make decisions/carry out actions through a thought process. Each person has his/her own values, beliefs, opinions and interest that influence and motivate them to act in certain ways. We all see things differently as well.

Of course, kindness to everyone is a great virtue, but not everyone can be consistent. I think unkindness towards someone is likely due to the "someone" getting in the way, or behaving in a way contrary to the person's interests. Either that, showing unkindness may be an instrument for advancing a person's interests, which is why it always becomes used. crying

User Image
User ImageLike a diamond in the sky,
Twinkle twinkle little star,
How I wonder what you are!User Image

Meiazure

bluhairedlover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:20 pm
My attempt at suicide was noone else's fault but my own. Unkind people contributed to my lack of self-confidence, however I should have listened to my inner self, found better people to listen to and trust in the fact that a higher power does not create something that is unworthy of kindness. If we all realize that all people are God's creation and everyone will respond to kindness, even if it isn't at the moment you show it, it will touch them. Plant the seed of love or kindness and have faith, it will grow.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:19 pm
Thanks for the responses, guys. I see some of your points... Meiazure, I think you're right on both of your points. Bluhairedlover, if that's what you believe (about your suicide) than you are probably right, you know yourself best... but not everyone believes in a "higher power"/God, but I do agree that we just have to realize that kindness does help....
But it's also not that simplistic... kindness is sometimes hard to come by (not meaning that unkindness is common...) It's really hard to extend a hand to someone who no one else has, even if you know that's the right thing to do... why is that? Is it just our emotions? Or some sadistic pleasure that is part of human nature?

Elmihy

Meiazure

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:26 pm
User ImageUser Image
User ImageTwinkle twinkle little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high, User Image

User Image
Hmm...

If no one else extends their help/kindness to that person, it is likely that that person is disliked by others due to something. For example, maybe the guy looks like a geek, and people are afraid of being seen with that guy, because they're afraid other people will start labeling him/her as a geek.

If another person (person #2) feels that it is the right thing to help the "geek" but also feels reluctant to do so for some reason, it could be because person #2 is afraid of being put in the same category as the "geek" by the many others who unfairly stereotype/have bias against the "geek". We all want to belong in certain groups/fit into social circles, and are unwilling to have members in those groups criticize us for being an oddball, or rejecting us from the group altogether. I'd say it's an individual's fear about his/her own social security, which may override their instincts to reach out to and help someone the groups dislike. It's not always the morally best decision to do nothing in a case like this, but sometimes that's just the way it is.

User Image
User ImageLike a diamond in the sky,
Twinkle twinkle little star,
How I wonder what you are!User Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:02 pm
User ImageFear the Cloud! Fear the Cloud well...User Image

User Image

There's a lack of Common Courtesy. D:

>User Image<

User Image.. Or the Cloud shall cry out a rain storm on your parade!User Image

TillxGone
Crew

Dangerous Lover

Elmihy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:25 pm
true true...
love the sig, by the way.
This is sort of unrelated, but I was just thinking... what's up with the huge rebellion of teenagers against parents? I mean, yeah, there's some hormonal stuff, but it seems like a total upsurge now... I was just wondering why everyone's trying to gothic, emo and punk-ish now, even the more preppy types.

Even though I mention this in this thread, I don't mean to say that people who rebel are automatically bad (although I hate poseurs with a passion... there's a difference between and poseur and someone who just tries to be different, fyi.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:08 pm
Hmm. I suppose there's the age difference between parents and their children, which does contribute to that. Young people are just starting to see the world and the kinds of people in it. They've grown up looking at their parents all the time and they want a shot at new things, like fashion, friends and love.

Parents, on the other hand, were young for once like we are, and may try to persuade us to do what we don't like as much because through their experience, they feel that they are doing the best for us.

I'd say culture and tradition and materialization change overtime and cause the ideals of parents and children to diverge.

Ex. Parents value education, and see that as a way for their children to get a good future job and live a good life.

Children want to play. We live in a more material world now, and there are so many distractions from honest emotions and values that they just keep wanting to enjoy the present. Acting on these thoughts can be very selfish, if you consider all the time and love your parents have given you.

surprised  

Meiazure

PinkDawg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:03 pm
You aren't a bunny

I suppose decency and goodness has gradually eroded in the world because of personal gain and cruelty.

Personal gain has always been there, loan sharking was a common form. Those who were the victims of loan sharking obviously will be mad, and would spread it on, it's contagious. As for the thrill that the person who loan sharks gets, he wouldn't want to tell anyone, loan sharking was not a very impressive thing to do, so happiness wouldn't probably spread. Apply this to other things, and you will probably find a similar result.

Cruelty has forms such as animal cruelty, and in some cases is related to personal gain. The person who commits animal cruelty usually does it to save money, so it is related to personal gain. The people opposing the animal cruelty will rarely have recognition, and the few that get recognition will spread very little happiness. This makes for a lot of the anger.

Thanks for reading

Unless you're me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:10 pm
Unkindness? In this world no one is perfect. If we do something wrong, we will regret it later.
But to die over such things will hurt others around you as well. If you commit suicide or hurt yourself because you feel hurt inside, won't the people close to you feel hurt as well? And although that person hurt you, won't they also regret it later? Regret and guilt is a heavy burden. Not like anything hurt me that much yet. I'm just an inexperienced stranger to those who truly faced the world of despair.  

September feild

Serious Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff