Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Fad or Future?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Unaru

Destitute Gawker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:15 pm
I'm wondering what other vegetarians views on the lifestyle is for the future. Will it always continue to be a choice? Or to some just a fad? Or will the future hold much more humane and healthy substitutes? In Vitro meat is a new lab created meat that is real animal flesh but was never part of a living breathing animal, merely cells grown and cultured. Is this the meat of tomorrow? Or simply some investigation that will lead to a dead end?

Personally I will never eat meat from a living animal, however the concept of cruelty free meat would be a solution to the biggest problem of the veg'n community, cruelty.

The stages it is in now does use animals for the cells and other things which is not cruelty free. Which brings up another point, the number of many outweighs the few? Or should every single life count even if it means the continual genocide of billions of future animals?

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts. Here is a link for more info on In vitro meat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vitro_meat  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:31 am
Unfortunatly I think many veg*n's today are just in the midst of a fad, stemming from the music industry. I'd like to think these kids jumping on the bandwagon will make this descision a life long one, but it takes commitment. Only time will tell I quess. neutral

Hmmm...cloned meat. Us in idustrialized nations don't need meat in any form. It should not be a staple of our diets for so many reasons. I can't say much about those in 3rd world nations. Those who live in regions where the land can't support farming. They have little choice but to eat meat. Unless we who live in rich nations would be willing to supply them with fresh fruits, vegetable and grains that they can afford.  

Nephilym

Vermillion Bloodsucker

9,400 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

loony x lovegood
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:04 pm

I've never really met anyone who was veg*n because it was trendy. I have a hard time seeing how veg*nism is trendy - most of us don't know other veg*ns & deal with harassment because of our lifestyle on a daily basis. I know there are a few veg*n bands out there, but I think that once you learn more about veg*nism and how ******** up eating animal products is, you won't go back, it's not a fad or a trend, at least to you. I became vegan after reading a book about veg*nism. Once I found out that we don't need to eat animal products to be healthy, so we're killing, torturing, and exploiting animals solely for pleasure, I couldn't eat them anymore. And I can't imagine ever going back. Not to mention how horrible these industries are for the environment, the people working inside them, and our health.

I think eventually (thousands of years, actually, if we're still here,) we'll have a vegetarian or vegan world. It took us a long enough time to realize rape, child abuse, child labor, slavery, and other forms of human exploitation were wrong - it will take even longer to extend our compassion to non-human animals, especially when their exploitation is so ingrained into our lives. They also depend on us to speak for them, they're literally voiceless, which will make the struggle even longer.

Veg*nism has become more and more mainstream over the years and I think it will continue to be. As more people learn about how we're exploiting these animals, the negative impact on our environment, our health, etc. more people will become veg*n.

As for in-vitro meat, it takes a lot of energy and is awful for the environment, so I wouldn't support it. It also furthers the view that animals are commodities, not beings. How many people would support growing human meat for us to eat? To get to this stage, we also have to, as you mentioned, use animals for the cells and experimentation. We've used "for the greater good" to justify research on humans and non-human animals, infanticide, siblicide, and even genocide. I wouldn't want to be experimented on, or to have my family, friends, or companion animals experimented on (and eventually killed,) even if it would save more lives.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:57 pm
I remember hearing from...I think, Larry King. That they estimate that by the year 2050 about 50% of the US is going to be vegetarian! Ofcourse people estimate allot of things and sometimes there right and sometimes there wrong sweatdrop

That would be so awesome if it turns out right though biggrin lol  

silent_wild_rabbit

[The Looney Bin]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:29 am
The dinosaurs are returning...

This grown meat still won't be healthy at all.
The human body isn't meant to consume meat, our saliva isn't acidic like that of carnivores, and carnivorous animals have about ten times as much hydrochloric acid in their stomachs as we do, so whether or not the meat is cruelty free it'll still clog your body and increase the risks of colon cancer and other diseases caused by meat.

But I am curious about whether or not this meat will contain cholesterol.

...and they want their oil back.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:12 pm
#1. Comparing human diets to carnivores is idiotic, and I'm tired of seeing that argument over and over again. Please stop bringing it up, it's only making your argument look worse.

#2. I think we'll see gay marriages and free world-wide health care before we see an entirely vegetarian planet. As long as people like Ted Nugent and on the opposite side of the spectrum, PETA, are around, the world will never be vegetarian, much less vegan. I think our planet will end because of global warming or other such reaction to human exponential growth before the world is even 50% vegetarian. Yeah, I'm such an optimistic person, aren't I? I'm sorry, while it would be REALLY nice for the world to be like that, it's just not going to happen. Instead of focusing on making everyone and their mom veg*n, we need to fix the problem with current meat-eaters: buying meat from factory farms. Only when we remove the mass production of meat and have people buy more organic, less fatty (and, no doubt, more expensive) will these people maybe start looking at the possibility of eating even healthier. I could go into more detail, but I hope you see where I'm going with this.

#3. In vitro meat... uh, no thanks. From what I understand, at the moment it can only produce "meat" the consistency of a processed chicken patty. Even then, many people are veg*ns because they don't like the taste of meat... the omnivores who do like meat will no way in hell give up the real thing for that, and I'm pretty sure most vegetarians that don't eat meat for ethical reasons will still feel guilty. They might even think it may lead them to want o eat real meat. I dunno, I think I'm reaching here at this point.

#4. I've actually known a few people who went vegetarian to be "trendy." I think trendy is a strong word, it's definitely more of an attention whore, especially when they would find every opportunity possible to tell everyone around them that they didn't eat meat. It was especially obvious in the kids who started shoving anti-meat facts in front of complete strangers. It's really embarrassing, and I'll be damned if they eat meat today. Hypocrites make the world go round. surprised

P.S. My apologies for the first point, but seriously, knock it off lol.  

Ailinea
Vice Captain

Sini X

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:19 am
I think it's the future. If not complete veg*anism then atleast understanding that the way we are going on at the moment will destroy our planet, nature and our fellow animals.
I'd be happy if it would be a way of future to live completely cruelty free.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:20 pm
[The Looney Bin]
The dinosaurs are returning...

This grown meat still won't be healthy at all.
The human body isn't meant to consume meat, our saliva isn't acidic like that of carnivores, and carnivorous animals have about ten times as much hydrochloric acid in their stomachs as we do, so whether or not the meat is cruelty free it'll still clog your body and increase the risks of colon cancer and other diseases caused by meat.

But I am curious about whether or not this meat will contain cholesterol.

...and they want their oil back.

Humans did evolve as omnivores.

It's pretty easy to see just by comparing skulls - veg*n pre-human robust Australopithicines, such as bosei, robustus, and aethiopicus had huge jaws and a point at the top of their skulls to attach their large jaw muscles. They also lacked incisors and canines.

It doesn't mean an animal isn't an omnivore if it's system doesn't resemble that of a carnivore. A system of an omnivore isn't going to look like that of a carnivore because they're two different things.

loony x lovegood
Crew

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces