Reply ----::::The FISH Tank::::----
Leopard Pleco

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Super Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:41 pm
YAY! I got one today after passing my first drive test. I havn't got a good look at him yet, but in the morning I will when the lights have to come on. He already seemed to be sampling the algue from the back when I show his shadow. I'll send pictures when he becomes less shy and I can snap some photos.

What's your experiance with Plecos. Paritcularily the Larger ones like the Common.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:45 pm
Well, I bought 2 rubber lipped and a Chinese algae eater for my big tank. Only one rubber lipped remains and is the same size as when I got him, whereas the Chinese algae eater has tripled in size.
[edit: I suppose the other died.]

I had a plain ol' pleco though. He got to be 6" then decided to commit suicide. Of course, I didn't know this. I'm ready to go to bed, so I put my hand on the lid to open it, right? I put my hand on something spiny. Fortunately, I don't scream (2 AM) so I turn on the light. It's my dead pleco, sitting on the top of the lid. I immediately run to the bathroom to wash my hand and let the fish go hungry that night. The next day, I tell my mom to ask my dad what the hell happened. His reasoning was "it's so perfectly preserved, I wanted to show it to you." Right. Great reason. Anyway, both my mom and I refuse to touch my poor, dead, jerky fish. So my dad puts it on the MANTLE. THE MANTLE. It stayed there for about 2 weeks because none of the sane people would touch it. And eventually I think I got a stick or something and smacked it into the trash can.  

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

Super Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:21 am
Kansai_Gal
Well, I bought 2 rubber lipped and a Chinese algae eater for my big tank. Only one rubber lipped remains and is the same size as when I got him, whereas the Chinese algae eater has tripled in size.
[edit: I suppose the other died.]

I had a plain ol' pleco though. He got to be 6" then decided to commit suicide. Of course, I didn't know this. I'm ready to go to bed, so I put my hand on the lid to open it, right? I put my hand on something spiny. Fortunately, I don't scream (2 AM) so I turn on the light. It's my dead pleco, sitting on the top of the lid. I immediately run to the bathroom to wash my hand and let the fish go hungry that night. The next day, I tell my mom to ask my dad what the hell happened. His reasoning was "it's so perfectly preserved, I wanted to show it to you." Right. Great reason. Anyway, both my mom and I refuse to touch my poor, dead, jerky fish. So my dad puts it on the MANTLE. THE MANTLE. It stayed there for about 2 weeks because none of the sane people would touch it. And eventually I think I got a stick or something and smacked it into the trash can.
That's quite a story.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:42 pm
We're all crazy in my family, but it's just some of us that have common sense. ><  

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

SquishyAngeh
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:15 pm
wow, I probably would have screamed if I were you.....LOL..

the only thing close to that that has ever happened to me was when my black phantom desided to jump out of the tank, I found him a couple hours later shriveled up stuck to the carpet, I had to rip him off....it made the grossest ripping sound ever..UGG  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:44 pm
I might be a little late in replying...but what the hey.

Plecos are my favorite type of fish. I usually go for the more fancy ones, ie. Royal plecos, scarlet plecos, tiger plecos, mango plecos and so on. 3nodding
Usually the fancier ones are really really sensitive to water condition, and they need regulare water changes. I've lost quite a few because they were so sensitive to my water changes...and that's a lot of money to...danged fish costs soo much money. And now I'm rambling. Anyways, leopard plecos are pretty hardy, so you shouldn't have much of a problem with that. The largest leopard I've seen was a bit over 8 inches...I'm not sure if they grow larger than that. Not many plecos grow as large as the commons. Commons can get up to about 24 inches or so...I think....I didn't really have a ruler on me when I saw it, but it was pretty big. The bigger they are the less active they get. So yah...there's my two cents. xp  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

_ShiroTsuru_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:33 pm
When I got my first pleco when he was barely two inches long and I named him Typewriter for his eating habits. He'd suck the algae off the glass like a cartoon character eating corn on the cob. go from the bottom all the way up then drop straight down shimmy over the tiniest bit then repeat. He grew to a nice 5 inches and was rather wide for a pleco... Sadly in a move his tail broke and took on an internal infection that we couldn't quite kick. He had a great personality and got along so well with my dragon eyes. The one I have now is so bitchy. If anyone gets too close to him he's chase after them swimming vertically and actually give them a wap with a fin... I think the pleco has been watching tv too much when my roommate has Jerry Springer on.... rolleyes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kansai Gal
We're all crazy in my family, but it's just some of us that have common sense. ><

A little OT but I had a betta lived on my drawing table. When he died his fins were still so beautiful I spread him on a bit of paper and dried him out. He looked just so amazingly perfect I ended up shellacking him into a collage mixed media project
-------------------------------------------------------------------------  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:05 pm
_ShiroTsuru_

Kansai Gal

A little OT but I had a betta lived on my drawing table. When he died his fins were still so beautiful I spread him on a bit of paper and dried him out. He looked just so amazingly perfect I ended up shellacking him into a collage mixed media project
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
eek Well, at least beta are pretty...  

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

----::::The FISH Tank::::----

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out