Read and discuss

For those that don't frequent Art Discussion, have a look. Please speak your mind, or not. Whichever works for you.

Errol McGillivray

If you want someone to stick your drawing on the refrigerator and give you a lolly for being such a special little talent, go show someone who loves you (and doesn't give a real s**t about your artwork).

For argument's sake, we're not talking about someone who has little understanding of what they're doing. People like that need to know what they're doing right so they keep doing it along with what isn't working so well. Especially when it's something you feel the person should carry out in other parts of the image. Today, we're talking about people who have quite a few of the aforementioned fledgling artists posting and telling them how "amazing" they are. You're obviously doing something right (enough anyway). You know what you're doing well. Why do you require each and every person that gives you feedback to tell you something you already know?

For people that know me, know that I give credit where credit is due. If you impress me, even if it's something so subtle that most people miss or something that most people just don't do or whatever, I'll tell you. If your selling points are commonplace, like say, a mediocre paint job in photoshop, then I don't see the point in telling you I like it, whether I do or I don't. If you did something interesting with color, then sure, I'll mention that.

Then you have images where nothing is well done. Why waste the effort scratching up something "nice" to say? Must I say "I like the color you chose for the hair" to say "The proportions are poorly done?" That's sugarcoating. I see no point in it and refuse to waste my time.

Put your ego in check when you react.

A lot of people react badly when you don't sugarcoat a post. The most common sign of someone who is butthurt is using diminutives to respond to your feedback. This always makes me laugh because diminutives to a stranger are a sure sign of grappling for some kind of foothold in the power struggle that people set up in their heads. Especially on the internet. I haven't really gotten that reaction face to face, but that's mostly because you look like more of an a** face to face when people call you out on it. There is no power struggle. You don't have to save face. Now, if the person is being malicious, then by all means, tell the b*****d off, but in most cases, that isn't what's happening. In most cases, someone is giving their observations and the artist is taking it personally. No, someone who doesn't make sure to stroke your taint lovingly before they mention a weakness in your art is not jealous of you. Nor is that person trying to be mean for no reason. Chances are, this person knows what he or she is talking about and assumes you know enough to know these things. Hell, I think people should be flattered when they don't get sugarcoated feedback. That means the person has some kind of respect for what you do because they don't feel you need to be lead around by the hand like a goddamn toddler.

I suppose what I'm saying is stop being children and suck it up. For those that read the "you" as a general "you", thank you in advance. To those that read this and get all butthurt because they take it as a direct "you", then chances are, yes, I am talking to you.

If you agree, let me know. If you disagree, let me know. Let's just keep it civil. The two sides are not likely to suddenly hug and agree, but we can discuss just the same.

tl;rd:
Just read it, you lazy goose.