Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Cheapest foods.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Schist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:41 pm
No wonder our society gets fat.

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/archives/2007/01/what-does-200-calories-cost-the-economics-of-obesity.html  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:50 am
I'm really glad you posted this link. For a long time, I was living in *extremely* poor circumstances. As in, I had to choose between having a place to sleep, having something to eat, or buying feminine hygiene products. When I did get something to eat, I usually bought rice and store-brand peanut butter, and occasionally celery because it could keep for so long without refrigeration. OF COURSE I got fat! But people would be so cruel about it. "You don't look like you've missed any meals, to me." "Oh, yeah? Well, you can afford to eat like a pig." "If you don't think you have enough money, just stop eating so much and you'll have enough to buy a brand new house." Yeah. Thanks.

Thank goodness, it's all better now for me, but I still feel awful when I see someone who is obviously overweight as well as obviously lower-income. Cheap food is fattening; fattening food is cheap.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Gossy

Shirtless Tycoon

15,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Josie 25
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:28 am
Food costs vary depending on where you live, but some foods that are healthy are generally cheap.

It's all about shopping smart, and putting a little effort into preparation instead of getting prepackaged, processed foods.

For example, brown rice is very inexpensive, especially in bulk. And if you go to an Asian or Mexican Market, it can be even cheaper.

It's also about watching the seasons and getting fruit and produce that is cheap that time of year.

Healthy Foods that are Cheap

Being thrifty and saving money does not mean having to sacrifice healthy eating.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:03 am
Very true. I've recently lost my job, which means that while we can live on my spouse's income, I'm doing my best to make our grocery shopping as inexpensive as possible. Here's a look at what I'm purchasing lately:

GRAINS:
bulk millet
bulk quinoa
bulk brown rice
bulk Persian rice
bulk basmati rice
cornmeal
3 mini-loaves of bread - enough for each person to have, basically, a mouthful on Sabbath

STAPLES:
brown sugar
vegetable oil
baking soda
white and apple cider vinegar
dried beans and peas
whole-grain pasta (linguine, spaghetti, Israeli-style couscous)
matzah meal

PROTEINS:
canned salmon
canned tuna

VEGETABLE & FRUIT (NON-PERISHABLE):
canned pumpkin
cranberry juice x 4
frozen vegetables - onion, green pepper, corn, broccoli, black-eyed peas, English peas, et cetera

DAIRY OR DAIRY SUBSTITUTE:
soy milk
organic heavy cream (for making my own butter and buttermilk)
fat free half & half
Smart Balance Lite (margarine, but it doesn't really go bad)

FRESH PRODUCE:
herbs - dill, mint, basil, cilantro, parsley, scallions (every week, for fresh salads)
salad greens - lettuce, spinach
tomatoes
cucumbers
carrots
potatoes
whatever else is at a good price

OTHER:
seltzer (added to matzah ball batter, it helps make the balls light and fluffy)
Kitchens of India & Near East ready-meals (for traveling, so as to avoid fast food)
sushi (at the supermarket, not a restaurant - it's cheaper, and it's in honor of Sabbath, a good fish dish everyone enjoys as part of the meal)
grape juice or wine - for blessing the Sabbath

I don't buy everything on this list every week. This is a monthly shopping list, not weekly. The only things I buy EVERY week are fresh produce and fresh bread, and we only eat bread on Sabbath, for the sole purpose of fulfilling a religious obligation -- otherwise, we don't really do processed grains.

We keep kosher, and while it isn't HUGELY more expensive, kosher food does cost a bit more than non-kosher food. I'd guess that if we didn't keep kosher, this stuff would run us, oh, maybe $400 a month? Since my food budget is $800 a month, that leaves me half our budget for non-food items, like cleaning supplies, bath/grooming supplies, and the other little items that keep a household running nicely.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

M U L E

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:22 pm
Are those images what 200 calories of that particular food looks like? Or just a random picture of the food?

That has put me off peanut butter :S Though I've switched to Vegemite for a while now ;p  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:30 pm
Hmmm, I've never had Vegemite.

I'd like to add to Divash's (someone who definitely sounds like she is running an efficient household) good Dairy list and say plain or fruit yogurt is good, and often cheap in bulk or on sale. Just be sure it says "live cultures" on it because that's the kind that helps your digestive system. Also good for treating yeast infections! (I'm sure you guys wanted to know that!) xd  

Gossy

Shirtless Tycoon

15,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Josie 25

M U L E

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:09 am
It's Australian 3nodding A lot of people can't stand Vegemite :S I love it though xD Jar full of black, salty goodness =]

Compared to the other spreads like Nutella (you have that right?) and peanut butter it's low in calories.

Lol, even though its supposed to be about cheap foods, I'm looking at this thread to see what foods are low calorie xD  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games