Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Running!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Running.
  Bleh!
  Hurrah!
  ... >.> Someday. <.<
  If I'm running... you better start, because something terrbile is chasing me....
View Results

Lady Schist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:56 pm
Running, some say it's bad for your joints. (my mother for one heavily discourages me running but calls me fat every time I see her. o.O ) Some say it's the best way to loose weight, it's been called the measure of fitness, it's been used to get away from dangerous situations....

Running, what are your opinions? Do you do it? Why? Why not?

I started jogging... >.> I won't say running yet, because frankly, I'm not. I don't run fast or far, and that's a problem for me. Mostly because I really do want to be able to run again. I like doing it, and I was always good at it when I was young.

So far, a regular school field is what I'm running, I can run one full lap, but I can't do more than that. So far I've been walking one, running one, then walking another and then going home.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:41 pm
i think you can run and take care of your joints as well (but im no expert lol). I have started running because i want to do my first quarter marathon in november, but i run on the treadmill and avoid doing lots on concrete. I dont know if running on the treadmill is better than concrete, but it feels ok so far  

Iconised Ghost

Groovy Spleen
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:58 pm
I found out today that speed walking actually burns more calories than running!

My chiro warns against running too much, he says if you do, make sure it's on decent ground (grass, not pavement etc) and that running is really bad if you;re overweight. At 165 he said I could run without too much joint degradation, but I would have to 'support' my top half. Basically tie back my big boobies, so as not to pull anything terribly out of place.

:3  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:30 pm
Ugh. I live in Illinois where gym is a required class, and they have us do a 20 min. jog every year. It sucks. Running tires me out so much, everyone in my classes says it just gives them a high, but when I can only do a mile and a half in 20 min (which I can do more when I'm walking), it's really humiliating. xp  

white pony 16

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:25 am
white pony 16
Ugh. I live in Illinois where gym is a required class, and they have us do a 20 min. jog every year. It sucks. Running tires me out so much, everyone in my classes says it just gives them a high, but when I can only do a mile and a half in 20 min (which I can do more when I'm walking), it's really humiliating. xp

i've been running this year and i have only just now experienced anything close to the runners high. Maybe some people just dont get a high from running >.< that class sounds horrendous though. I always hated PE when i was at school because it was humiliating  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:53 am
It is extremely hard on your body if you don't have the right equipment. This means running shoes. Luckily, my dad totally set me up with the right shoes for my arches, knees and god knows what else.
I've done a couple races (a 3km, a 5km and a 7km) but for training I only run a 5k loop. I really need to get back into it.. I'm only doing it once every other week right now! I find when I'm doing it two to three times a week (with some tennis or vball on the side) I slim down a lot. I always find excuses not to run though *face palm*
And btw, I've experienced the "runner's high" maybe 2 times in my life - I have gone on about 4000 runs! I hardly ever feel happy while i'm running, but afterwards I always feel amazing!  

beauty-brakes

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:02 pm
yes thats very true about the shoes, i finally got some good ones and it makes such a huge difference, especially for my ankles  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:54 pm
For some reason, ever since I was little, even at my best shape (which used to be good!) I've never been able to run more than a few steps without finding it too hard to breath.

I don't have asthma or anything so I don't know why that is.  

Starlurk

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:36 pm
Starlurk
For some reason, ever since I was little, even at my best shape (which used to be good!) I've never been able to run more than a few steps without finding it too hard to breath.

I don't have asthma or anything so I don't know why that is.

its weird, i guess there are just things we are naturally really bad at xd like i can last through a 55 min weights class but i cant do pushups to save my life  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:15 pm
I'm trying to take up jogging again. I have genetic back defects and had shin splints for a while. So my attempts to jog have caused me a great deal of pain. It is probably the fastest (or one of) way to loose weight. It is hard on joints however. It could cause you to have arthritis or other joint problems in the future. You're actually better to power walk. Swimming is rated the BEST way to loose weight. There is no strain on your joints. However, you do have to actually get you're heart rate up for it to be effective. Which means sprinting for a good 15 mins.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games