Submit

Casca 7

Blessed Paladin

13,100 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:09 pm
sorry guys. since i've been trying to get this thing running for a couple weeks now and only mazuac was able to show, it looks like this bible study is a bust. oh well.

eep. i forgot to take the pole down. sorry.
the study we are doing is Overcoming Fear and Discouragement by Kay Arthur.
i know some of us have already gotten our books, so that's the study we're sticking with.

edit: Ok, guys. I'm hoping we can get things started by next week, but it depends on if we get all the books in. Like I said before, if you can't afford it, I can try to help with the costs. I'll be friending everyone in the thread and sending pms. If you would like to be on the mailing list and I have not friended you, just let me know.

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15 (NASB)

Hi. I'm brand new to the guild, but I was looking around thinking that we should have a Bible Study. blaugh God has called each one of us to study His word diligently and also to have fellowship with other believers. Thus, I believe a Bible Study would be great for us.
We could meet at my "house" in the towns and chat for an hour or so about whatever the topic is.
This Bible Study will be open to anyone, but it is impossible to get away completely from denominational bias since we are human, so I will tell you where I'm coming from just so you know. I'm Protestant. I grew up in the Methodist church but switched to a non-denominational Bible church in high school. I am now attending a Presbyterian church in New York where I am this summer. I say all this not to say one denomination is better than another, but just so that you know where I'm coming from. I believe that as long as you claim Christ as your Savior and the only begotten Son of the Father then we're pretty much spiritual siblings.
Of course, even non-believers are welcome to attend the study as well.
Let me know what you all think.

heart

ok, it's time to pick out which study we want to do. all of the studies at the top i think would be really good ones. you can get the materials for the study at www.christianbook.com after we decide which one to do. if you are concerned that you may not be able to afford the book, i'll happily donated one to you. if this is the case, you can pm me for my email address where we can discuss where i need to ship the book more securely. Please only ask if you really can't afford the study though, cause i can't afford to send one to everyone.
also, if you decide to join the Bible study, I will add you to my friends list and put you on a mailing list for the Bible study. This way, if there are any announcements (like i'm going out of town, time changes, or any other) I can pm you so you won't have to keep coming back to the thread in case you forget. Don't worry, I won't flood your inbox with pointless stuff. all i'll really do is send you a reminder once a week and let you know of any changes in the study.
Most of the studies are about 10 weeks long.
If you wish to do one of the studies by John McArthur, please designate which book of the Bible you would like to study.
Thanks guys!
heart  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:56 am
I had a plastic casket
with candy bones inside,

Sounds good, but I tend to work night shifts, so I'm probably going to end up being tied up except on Saturdays. And even those I'm not so sure about. ^^;

It certainly sounds like it's worth trying to get in for, though. I'll show up when I can, especially if it's Saturdays. (I usually get off at seven EST at the latest on those days.)

I put the skeleton together
and it came to life.

Felldew

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:02 pm
You know, we tried a weekly Bible study a while ago and it pretty much bombed. If you want to try and set one up in the towns or something, like a real time chat room, you're more than welcome to.

One the school year starts, I'll be selling my soul to a number of theatre productions and rehearsals, so evenings generally aren't good for me. But let everyone know and I'll try and pop in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:09 pm
Assuming I find that towns can work with my work computers, Saturdays are a possibility for me. It's the only day I'm guaranteed to be able to show up even somewhat regularly. If the work comps don't like towns then I can only do it every other. If it's late enough.  

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Casca 7

Blessed Paladin

13,100 Points
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:29 pm
Thanks for replying, guys.
Saturdays are definitely do-able for me.
I'm still looking into which study we should do, so if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to suggest away.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:34 pm
freelance lover
You know, we tried a weekly Bible study a while ago and it pretty much bombed. If you want to try and set one up in the towns or something, like a real time chat room, you're more than welcome to.

One the school year starts, I'll be selling my soul to a number of theatre productions and rehearsals, so evenings generally aren't good for me. But let everyone know and I'll try and pop in.

Thanks much.
And if it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. It's still good to try. And the plan is for it to be in my house in the towns. I just bought the upgrade for my house so hopefully it'll be big enough. If not, we can always move to one of the open lawn type areas.  

Casca 7

Blessed Paladin

13,100 Points

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:18 am
Yeah, like freelance said, we attempted to do a guild Bible study and it didn't work. I wanted to write my own, but I got lazy and school got in the way. The thing about meeting and doing real-time is that we've got people all over the world in this guild. Australia, the UK, Asia, and basically everywhere in North America. It would be really hard trying to coordinate times and whatnot. I'm not trying to discourage your efforts, because I would love to get in some real Bible study. If you can get it to work, more power to you. I'll do my best to participate. Saturdays are best for me, at this point. Once September comes, I'm not sure. I'll have to see. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:28 pm
I knew I'd heard that someone tried this before. It's a really nice thought that you want to take some of your time out to fire this thing up. I'm just hoping it's a success. I can't say I'll be there for sure but it would be cool to pop along whenever it starts. I'm fine with whatever others decide to be the date. If I can make it, I can and if I can't, I can't.  

Priestley

Casca 7

Blessed Paladin

13,100 Points
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:40 am
bump?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:50 pm
User Image
He has Redeemed Me!Though I

And of course, if it wasn't a real-time study, you could post the lesson, and then add a discussion/questions that we should be able to answer, etc. And these would go on once weekly, and that way people would have a whole week to reply to the lesson before a new one was put up~ Just a thought ^^ I would love to do a Bible Study though~

User Image

am undeserving, He gave his life for mine.

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:12 pm
I'm kinda caught in between the middle two, I think...  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:01 pm
well, i think Overcoming Fear and Discouragement has won out.
mazuac, you do have a point. maybe we can have a thread, too. the only problem with threads is that they can get out of hand really easily. but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea...
i'll try to get pms out to everyone tomorrow so we can start getting the books. ^^  

Casca 7

Blessed Paladin

13,100 Points

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:40 pm
User Image
He has Redeemed Me!Though I

Yeah... they can get out of hand~ But still, this study looks awesome! I can't wait to order this book!

User Image

am undeserving, He gave his life for mine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:42 pm
Woot, I just ordered the book~ I should get it sometime between Tuesday and... August 25th... XD

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150

Avis Felicis

Mystical Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:22 am
I'd like to join too! If it's not too late... sweatdrop  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items