Welcome to Gaia! ::

The RPS Guild: Dungeon Crawls For All

Back to Guilds

The RPS Guild is for RPing using the simply-named Roleplaying System (RPS) to manage combat. 

Tags: Role Play, Fantasy, Dungeon, Adventure, System 

Reply RPS Guild
EVIL Player Characters? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should evil player characters be allowed in RPS?
  Yes
  No
  Indifferent
View Results

Atrus_Legnacra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:48 pm
Heirophant_of_the_Broken
Atrus_Legnacra
I had thought about it, but having to listen to my sister (Eryka) complain because I did this, or that, or because I was killing things faster than her, or any of a million other things a sister might do, would have caused me to kill her... in one way or another >.>

Humm, that's the problem with DnD alignments... See Lazarus isn't technically of any specific-set alignment. He'll take orders, and stick to the law, when it suits him, and he'll save small children, and old people, when it suits him, but don't think he won't stab his adventuering partner in the back when it means he can get more power. He's sort of a quasi-neutral, but not necessarially evil...

...dude? That's just true neutral with evil tendincies. Either that or Lawful Evil...hmm? Can't decide.

User Image

Lawful Evil is what I said to begin with... but it's far from true neutral. A true neutral person strives to maintain the balance between good an evil, lawful and chaos... they are a walking enignma, and anathem of themselves. or at least according to 3/4 ed rules.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:34 pm
I love the idea of true evil characters! That would add a lot to RPS and the roleplaying ideas! I can see Perrian partied with an evil character now...

"Here is my dart!!!" *throws purification dart at evil character* xD  

Perrian
Vice Captain

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200

Firu Nicorusu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:56 pm
First let me start this coment off by saying that I agree that players should be able to be evil if they wand and I am not arguing with anyone.

But it looks like this conversation is headed twards the suggestion of asigning alignments to every character. And I would like to say that would be a horrible idea. We already have the freedome of playing our characters however we wan't so why limit that freedome by slappping the shacles of "what type of personality are you" to them.

Yes D&D has a rule where you need to chose an alignment, and while this is good for noteing and informing others of what type of person you'r character is it also foces you to behave in a particular manor all the time. So in my opinion we should allow people to take on an alignment title if they wan't but shouldn't force it on anyone.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 am
Woah woah, back up here. We should never have permanent character alignments. I just want to be able to play my character in the way I want to with out anybody thinking that I am just being a total jerk. As for alignments, people can change over time and no one should be forced to stick with any one alignment. My character didn't start completely insane and evil, he just disappeared for a while and something happened that made him crack. So I vote that we don't have permanent alignments, even just alignment titles seem a little unnecessary and if anything could cause confusion when someone does something that doesn't exactly fit their alignment title. As for being evil it seems that the consensus is that it would be OK. So I am going to go on and have my character be the way I want him to be, but I will be sure to give most people fair warning before I attack them and provide them with a chance to roleplay their way out of a situation.  

Kaihatsu

Heirophant_of_the_Broken
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:34 am
Sorry. Just a suggestion. Never mind on the titles then. But it seems that with two minors and at least 3 acolytes on your side I'd have to say that the evil RP is a go! Play your character as you see fit. Fargore has told me in person repeatedly that he believes that people should be able to play their characters as they feel they want to. Why squash creativity? Kaihatsu: play as you want, and if any problems arise from this (I don't really think we'll have any) then we'll deal with them.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:06 pm
yeah alignments shouldn't be a forced thing, especially since not everyone will stay the same, I had a campaign before where I went from a chaotic evil head crushing juggernaut, to a neutral good, gentle giant.

Crazier things have happened.  

Devil hunter lugh

Zazzy_Wazzy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:15 am
I think that evil characters are a wonderful idea. In fact I meant for Luc to be an evil character when I made him, but it was really hard, because he didn't have anyone to be evil with. I was new to the system and needed people to teach me things... that would have been hard if I was being a jerk to them. But I could definately have some fun being evil if I had some allies. But I think that there are also many things that would suck for instance what if you and a few happy good fellas were going through a happy good dungeon and along came an evil character. The DM would suddenly have less control, and the evil character might just kill off the good characters, which would really suck if a lot of hours were put into that dungeon. So if players are allowed to be evil, then the one playing them must be quite merciful, or at least be used to losing a lot. Evil characters are suppose to lose. And also an evil character could never really kill anyone in order to take a certain posetion, or just steal things from people.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:00 am
Humm, that shows you lack experience, young Zazzy. See, Laz here is evil, as several people will vouche for that, but he's never had a problem getting into groups, and parties. See, true evil uses people, and sometimes that gives helps them in small ways as well. If there was a "hide" action that let you duck bedhind someone else, and force them to take the damage from an npc, Laz would have Fighter Mage as quick as possible! lol.

I wasn't refering to an assigned alignment, just a reference to something alot of people would understand, because a large portion of us play, or have played Dungeons and Dragons.  

Atrus_Legnacra

Heirophant_of_the_Broken
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:44 am
I have to agree with Laz on this. And it's good to see you back Zazzy! Been a while hasn't it?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:30 am
It has indeed over half a year. It's good to see you too. I'm really sorry for just kind of leaving in the middle of the last dungeon... I got buried in homework, and such, and just couldn't keep up. Funny I haven't even decided what to do with the CP and Cash yet. stressed And Laz... it's true that I lack experience, and I feel no shame admitting it. But do you really need to point it out?  

Zazzy_Wazzy

Heirophant_of_the_Broken
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:42 am
Meh...that's just Laz' way of showing love. mrgreen He can be blunt but we love the little guy. *Gives Lazarus a nuggy while laughing maniacally*  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:43 am
Why don't you do a "Preferred" Alliance?

Like in the character sheet you have an "Extra" section where you can write in little tidbits about your character. Like they prefer to do things a certain way, or they are completely against something and such stuff like that? It will be a way of letting other players know more about your player. And it will also help the new players learn about other characters.  

Varnis54

Heirophant_of_the_Broken
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:03 am
Actually, there is a thread in the OOC forum that allows you to do character intro's and such. Background, temperment, etc are all within the limit to describe. I actually highly recommend going and posting there...at least from my love of RP point of  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 pm
Hehe... Wow I guess I completly missed that XD. Maybe I will go and post in there some time.  

Varnis54

RPS Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces