Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)
[Anime] Baccano!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Counter
  +1
View Results

LadyNox
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:48 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quote:
In 1711, a group of alchemists seeking eternal life gathered on a boat to summon the "demon" that held the secret. The demon agreed to give them what they wanted—an elixir of life, the method to create more, and the secret to ending their new-found existence. The following night, alchemists began disappearing, "eaten" by one of their own. Realizing the threat posed by being close together, they decided to scatter across the world.

Centuries later, in Prohibition-era America, the immortals have come together once again, and the "stupid commotion" starts.

"Baccano", which Narita translates as "stupid commotion", is Italian for "ruckus". Each of the stories in the series involves several unrelated plots intersecting and crossing each other as events spiral farther and farther out of control. Immortal alchemists, mafia operated speakeasies, and many other elements of pulp fiction mashed together for a world straight out of the movies.

I just finished the series recently, completely fell in love and went looking for the fandom. It really surprised me that Ryohgo Narita's Baccano doesn't have a bigger fan following, especially with yaoi fangirls. This series has an abundance of attractive, slashable men. I know the image above doesn't convey it well enough... but the trust me, lots of pretty men. xp

So I'm curious, has anyone here seen it?

And if you have, what did you think of the series? I really loved having to put the story back together from all the bits and pieces. It was half the fun of the story. I also loved the family aspect of the series and how they ended up building a family by the end of the story.

The crazy characters were a lot of fun too. Still not sure I believe that Issac and Miria didn't realize they were immortal until the new millennium. But it would be so like them if they didn't.

Who were your favorite characters? I'm partial to the Gandor family, especially Luck. He always seems so pleasant which is why he's probably so formidable. I also adore Claire (who, yes, is technically a Gandor too) but who doesn't enjoy assassins with moral codes and perverse ideas about their place in society? Jacuzzi was my favorite non-Gandor character. He cries as he shoots up mafia owned stores!

Do you have any slashy pairings you want to squee about? When I actually found a small fandom for the series, I was surprised by the Dallas/Luck fanworks. I suppose getting cemented in a steel barrel and dumped into the Hudson river is a sign of true love? >.> (Any defenders of this pairing out there?) But I love Luck so much I'll accept anything as long as it involves him. XD However my favorite pairings are Luck/Claire and Luck/Firo. Firo/Maiza also warms my soul. A twisted part of me would love to see what Claire/Ladd would be like.

These are just some of the questions I'm throwing out there to start a discussion. If you have any other comments, questions, complaints or anything about the series, feel free to voice them here.

Discuss and have fun!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:15 pm
Rulin' ya universes...

Haha, no way! xD
I only started watching this yesterday, and I was gonna make a thread about it today...
I've only seen up to ep. 5 but I love it already!
The opening theme is so great~ And I love Mr.Luck 'cause he's voiced by Koyasu Takehito and he's got a sexy voice heart __ heart
Miria and Isaac are great, too xD They're so funny~

I like pairing Firo and Luck together~
...since 1992.

User_2629207

LadyNox
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:23 am
Yes, Koyasu's voice is a great plus for the series. I haven't actually watched a series recently where I have enjoyed his voice so much. His voice fits Luck's character really well. *_*

Luck/Firo would be awesome. Together they would be a forced to be reckoned with. XD  
[The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games