Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Kharis: Hellenic Polytheism Explored Book Announcement!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:27 pm
I'm passing this on for a fellow member of the greater Hellenic Community:

Khairete everyone,

I am happy to announce the release of the second edition of my book, Kharis: Hellenic Polytheism Explored. The first edition was printed via Cafepress four years ago, and I wanted to publish a more professional version now that the technology was more readily available. While I was doing that, I decided to include an updated Hellenic pagan survey, incorporate a few recent articles I've written, and make several smaller changes, updates and additions.

You can visit the website for the book (including a Table of Contents) here: http://www.winterscapes.com/kharis/
And buy it either via CreateSpace: https://www.createspace.com/Customer/EStore.do?id=3344165
Or Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Kharis-Sarah-Kate-Istra-Winter/dp/143823192X/

I will be donating 20% of the proceeds from this book to Survival International, a charitable organization working to protect tribal peoples around the world.

For those unfamiliar with my book, here's the blurb:

Kharis: Hellenic Polytheism Explored delves into the many aspects of the revival of Greek paganism, from its ancient roots to its modern practice. It is written for the person new to Hellenismos, and for the person who has been practicing for years, as well as for people outside of the religion who are interested in learning more. It covers not only the basics of worship, but also how to make the ancient religion relevant to modern times, cultivate relationships with the gods and other divinities, and create a deeply satisfying spiritual life.

The emphasis of this book is on the concept of kharis - the reciprocity so implicit in the practice of Hellenic polytheism. From the simplest devotional act, to prayer, to divination, to mysticism, the principle of reciprocal favor governs the heart of this religion and lets each worshipper encounter the gods on a real and profound level.

Feel free to pass this announcement along to any lists, groups, etc. that you think might be interested.

-Oinokhoe  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:55 pm
Is it as nifty as it looks? I'd really like to buy it, though I spent all my money on lotuses. stare *scrapes together pennies*  

MoonJeli

patch99329

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:43 am
THIS TAKES THE PISS. scream

I've been waiting for this book for months and months, but I couldn't wait any longer and ordered everything else 3 days ago. crying  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:13 am
MoonJeli
Is it as nifty as it looks? I'd really like to buy it, though I spent all my money on lotuses. stare *scrapes together pennies*

The first edition is one of my go-to books. Despite owning the first edition, I'm buying the second. In part because I like supporting the community, in part because she writes in a clear, concise manner and the information is top-notch.

It is as nifty as it looks.

I'm waiting on gift certificates to come through to buy it (along with --finally-- Written in Wine and the fourth season of Atlantis).  

maenad nuri
Captain

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:45 pm
Yet another book to add to my ever growing book list. At least I'll be able to give my friends an easy answer when they ask me what I want for Christmas.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:14 pm
Thank you for posting this, Nuri ^^.

This book has really piqued my interests, as I had no idea of such Greek paganism exsisted. The Greek pantheon has always been my favorite, and ever since I was 8 or 9 I would look up information on their myths and deities.... so I may scrounge up my money and purchase it soon. biggrin  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items