Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
Star Trek: The Experience reopening? UPDATE! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you been to STTE?
  Yes, and I want to visit it again.
  Yes, but I don't want to visit it again.
  No, but I would like to visit it.
  No, and I don't have any intrest in visiting it.
View Results

Raining_Stardust

Aged Ladykiller

5,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:16 am
UPDATE!

AAAH DARN IT.
Looks like the May 8th opening was but a rumor.
I was sure hoping that it was true.

More Info...

It looks like it's going to be more TOS themed this time.

I'm going to miss the DS9 themed shops. Especially Quark's.

-------

Star Trek at Neonopolis
Quote:
The Star Trek Experience is slated to open May 8, the same date as the movie’s premiere. The experience will be introduced in phases, with the simpler (and less costly) components, such as the food and beverage, retail and museum to be rolled out first. The entire experience, including rides and an IMAX 4D component should be completed by next year.

biggrin

-------

THERE IS HOPE!!!

Reopening, anyone?
'Star Trek' attraction may find new home at Neonopolis
Star Trek, art find new home
-------

Cedar Fair who owns Star Trek: The Experience has announced that it will be closing on September 1, 2008.

From a press release:
Quote:
Asked if there is any final transmission he’d like to convey from the Enterprise bridge,
Chad Boutte, Operations Manager and Director of Marketing said “Hailing frequencies
open. We’d like to thank all the fans and friends of Star Trek, whose constant and
amazing support we’ve enjoyed throughout our tenure at the Las Vegas Hilton. As we
boldly go into the futures that await, know that we take your love of Star Trek: The
Experience with us. We share the memories of time spent in the most unique place in the
Galaxy, and we carry those memories into our futures with us. Live long, and prosper.
Hailing frequencies closed.”

Links of interest:
STTE Media Release
Star Trek The Experience Closure Follow-up + CBS Hints At A Future
Star Trek The Experience Closing in September
Star Trek: The Experience Official Website  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:17 am
Is it too late to save it? It has been hinted that The Experience will live on in another location. Any ideas?  

Raining_Stardust

Aged Ladykiller

5,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100

Miral Paris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:03 pm
My mom and I were wondering about that the other day. We've never been, so we were planning on going next month. And then this.

But if they were to relocate it, instead of closing it permanently, I'd suggest someplace that attracts a lot of tourists. I know Las Vegas obviously does, but what about Florida? Say Orlando, maybe? Then again, there'd be too much competition with Disney World and Universal Studios, places like that.

They should also expand it. It just seems a bit too small to truly glorify Star Trek. They'd need to build new rides and attractions. Maybe the ST fanbase could pitch in money? We could all start a campaign. I mean, it worked in the 60's. TOS got an extra season. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:56 pm
xD Cedar Fair owns a ton of amusement parks. California's Great America in Santa Clara has this old IMAX theatre that hasn't been used in years. I sent an email suggesting that Cedar Fair relocate it there.
Maybe we could get people to send more emails and stuff.  

Raining_Stardust

Aged Ladykiller

5,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100

Miral Paris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:23 pm
That, or write letters. <3

It just seems illogical that they'd close The Experience right before the new movie is set to premiere. I mean, I do acknowledge the fact that attendance has been rather minimal, but wouldn't the new movie attract fans to ST locations like The Experience? It's mindboggling to me, at least.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:29 pm
This is such an outrage! D:<<<
I've been once, but I didn't get to do everything. I was planning on going next year too. I really hope they relocate it, instead of closing it. And closing it before the new movie is illogical. That CF place sounds like a good idea though. There, or maybe Philly would be nice~

Oingo

Raining_Stardust

Aged Ladykiller

5,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:54 pm
I have seen a ray of hope! In the email newsletter I received from The Experience advertising their closing it said in small print at the bottom "Event subject to change or cancellation without notice." xD Small hope but still there!

I too agree that closing right before a new movie comes out is an illogical choice.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:09 pm
I found this from Wired.com, a blog network.

Quote:
Offering a sad commentary on the state of the Star Trek franchise, the Hilton Hotel in Las Vegas will shut down Star Trek : The Experience this fall.

Part simulator, part environment, part museum and (of course) part gift shop/restaurant, the Experience opened 10 years ago during the height of popularity for the Star Trek: The Next Generation movies. The exhibit gave fans a chance to examine a Trek time line with a collection of sci-fi relics. Then visitors could talk to a Klingon over a drink after strolling across the bridge of the Enterprise.

But, the exhibit isn't drawing the fans it once did -- just as the franchise is fading off the public radar. While J.J. Abrams is hustling to save Star Trek on the big screen, it's too late to save it in Vegas.

The collection of props, costumed "aliens" and adventure simulators was a welcome, nerd-friendly escape from the hustling sleaze and nonstop pinging of slot machines filling the rest of the town. There's no word what will be done with the emptied retail space in the Hilton, but the museum props, ship mock-ups and other bits of Trek history will be returned to Paramount.

CBS/Paramount statements indicate the search is on for the Experience's new home.

That last sentence really gives me some hope about the future of The Experience. Of course, you can never 100% trust blog networks, but still.

I wish they'd move it to San Francisco.  

Miral Paris

Raining_Stardust

Aged Ladykiller

5,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:22 pm
It's best to keep hopeful <3
And I'm hoping for that too. As a Bay Area resident I would love that. Anywhere in the Bay Area would be great.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:16 am
WTF, it was my dream to go there.

trekkiecab  

sapphireroseofga

Miral Paris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:41 pm
It certainly is a shame.

You know what's funny? A lot of local newspapers around my hometown are publishing "confirmations" that it will be moved, not closed.

What I can't understand is why some company - any company, for that matter - wouldn't want to buy The Experience.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:02 pm
Boldly Go...

D:
I was there the day before it closed.

User Image

Subspace Interference

Miral Paris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:15 pm
I was there over a week before it closed, on a Saturday. Beverly Washburn was there signing pictures. (She guest starred in the TOS episode "The Deadly Years," appearing as Lieutenant Arlene Galway. Anyone remember her?)

So what was it like, the last day?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:10 pm
crying I was planning to go to Vegas on my 21st birthday just for that. Now there is no reason to go there.  

Dunedien

Raining_Stardust

Aged Ladykiller

5,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:42 am
It will rise again!

*gets hopes up*  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]