Anne McCaffrey
  Todd McCaffrey
  can't decide
  probably should read...
  MARKS!
View Results

GuardianDragonsSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:53 pm
Okay, I'm a serious addict to anything Pern...

And I got curious...

What does everybody think about the authors? (note: Todd is Anne's son, for those who don't know, and is continuing the series)

And, while you're at it, answer some of these questions...
What's your favorite Dragonriders of Pern/Harper Hall trilogy book? Why?
Who's your favorite/least favorite character? Why?
Who's your favorite/least favorite Dragonrider? Why?
Who's your favorite/least favorite Weyrleader? Why?
Who's your favorite/least favorite Holder? Why?
Who's your favorite/least favorite Craftmaster? Why?
Who's your favorite/least favorite holder? Why?
Which Craft/Crafthall do you like best? Why?
Who's your favorite/least favorite harper? (apprentice, journeyman, and/or master) Why?
Which character do you think you are most/least like? Why?

Answer at least two of these in your first post, please!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:07 pm
Hmmm...tied between Dragonsinger, The Materharper of Pern, Dragonflight, Dragonsblood, and The Skies of Pern... (it's hard to choose!)

I have a few, including: Sebell, Lessa, F'lar, Kindan (I think his name's right...), F'lessan, and Robinton...
There are too many reasons why these are my favorites to count, but I will say that they are all just truly awesome!!! XD

Who's your favorite/least favorite Dragonrider? Why?
My favorite is either F'lar, Lessa, or F'lessan (the "why" is outlined above).
I don't really have a least favorite...

Who's your favorite/least favorite Weyrleader? Why?
My favorite is F'lar (")

Who's your favorite/least favorite Holder? Why?
My favorite is probably Groghe...
And my least favorite is Meron...

Who's your favorite/least favorite Craftmaster? Why?
I don't have a least favorite here...but my favorite is a tie between Idarolan (sp?) and Robinton...

My favorite Crafthall is the Harper Hall!

Who's your favorite/least favorite harper? (apprentice, journeyman, and/or master) Why?
Least favorite is...oh...what's his name...the apprentice who has it in for Piemur...
My favorite is either Robinton, Sebell, or Kindan

Which character do you think you are most/least like? Why?
I kind of liken myself to Piemur...  

GuardianDragonsSpirit

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:09 pm
Disclaimer: It's been forever since I've read any of the Dragonriders of Pern series. n.n"

From what I remember, Dragondawn and Dolphins of Pern (I think those were the titles....) were my two favorites. I never read any of the books written by Todd Harper, because I stopped reading the series before her started writing.

I think my favorite character was the main male lead in Dragondawn. Damned if I can remember his name or why I liked him, though. The female lead was good, too. I really liked Dragondawn because of all the information on dragons and fire lizards and such. I love the fire lizards. They were one of my favorite parts of the books.

Other than that, I really don't remember much of any of the books. n.n"  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:02 am
I think the lead in Dragonsdawn was Admiral Benden...but I'm not 100% sure...(I read it third...after Dragonflight and Dragonquest...and that was around four or five years ago XD)  

GuardianDragonsSpirit

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:27 am
No, it was some kid who started out as a teenager. Just like the main female lead. And then they fell in love, yadda yadda. Wish I could remember their names....  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:34 am
Well...Todd has written some crap, but the one that they wrote together was good, and there was one other that Todd wrote alone that I found to be enjoyable.

Dragondrums; honestly, because of the Menolly/Sebell moments. x]
However, I also love "The Second Weyr" from Chronicles of Pern: First Fall.
Favorite: Menolly, I'm not really sure why, I just always liked her best.
Least Favorite: I don't really have one that I can think of.
Harper Hall; simply, I love music :]
Well since my favorite character is a harper, Menolly. As for least favorite though, I can't think of one of the top of my head.

kel aka gandy

Wissakins

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:30 am
Its been a long time since I read the Pern books. I remember Moreta fondly though. I'd say Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern and Nerlika's Story are two of my favorites. They made me cry for Moreta. ;;

I can't really answer the other questions because its been so long. I do remember loving the Harpers though.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:22 am
NightIntent
No, it was some kid who started out as a teenager. Just like the main female lead. And then they fell in love, yadda yadda. Wish I could remember their names....

Sean Connell and Sorka Hanrahan

I can't really pick and choose favourites, when it comes to Pern I just want to know everything so I suppose the stories that tell about other crafts and times and that are my favourites. Pern changed my life in so many ways, heck I probably wouldn't be on Gaia without it ^-^  

Shanti~dragongirl

witchhunterrobin80

800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:45 pm
I am having an Anne McCaffrey radio show on Sunday Feb. 22, 11:00 pm EST if anyone wants to come and listen it is at Blog talk radio and Spewing Two http://www.blogtalkradio.com/spewingtwo and you can always call in and comment as well.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:49 pm
Wow, Nightintent just told me about this thread and I'm so excited to find someone else who likes these books. I'm still in the first trilogy but I'm really loving it. There are a lot of characters to keep up with at first but it's worth it. After I've read a few, I'll have to come back and answer the questions.  

Nimue_of_Avalon

Darth_Magus1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:34 pm
I used to read the books I have several of them but I think I stopped after All The Weyrs of Pern, it just felt like a stopping point there. Maybe one of these days I'll get into them again, I know I'm behind at least 5 books, just been reading other series.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:57 pm
I really liked this series too! Despite this it was really hard to find more then 4 books in the series so sadly I haven't been able to read many.
There are also short stories by her about Pern which are great to read.  

creampies2135

Nimue_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:20 pm
Well, I lucked up and found a box of these books at a used book store and it had most of them with a few exceptions I am now on Dragonseye. So far, my favorite was Dragonsdawn because it went back to the beginning and explained so much. But I loved Moretta's sory too. I haven't even gotten to where Todd starts writing. What is everyone's thoughts about his writing style--does it work pretty well with Anne's books?
Also, has anyone heard anything else about a possible upcoming movie? I read somewhere on a website that they were working on it.

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games