Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
A Couple Of Questions Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ForgottenDreamsMyLove

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:05 pm
Okay... im so gona sound weird here (in my oppion) but what are the four elements? Are they the commonly use water fire wind and earth or are they metal wood water and fire? Im sorry im a little lost here and I have a lot of questions... so here goes nothing

1) What are the four elements?
2) Is there anythign specail you need while meditating (inscents, candles, stuff like that)
3) What do gems do? And where do you get them?
4) Is there any books you can read online or sites about this stuff cause I can't afford books?
5) I also want to know (if any) what Gods and Goddesses are there?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:17 pm
ForgottenDreamsMyLove
1) What are the four elements?
That depends on the tradition.
Taoism is the source of the bulk of the Chinese Elemental systems you'll see.

These elements are: Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal and Water. They exist in constructive, destructive and reductive cycles.
These elements then give birth to all the things in the world (oversimplified theology, I know)

The Classical Elements- Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Aether- come from Greek culture and they maintained popularity well into the Middle Ages.

Japanese and Thai systems have a concept of Space, Void or Heaven that replaces the "Aether" of the Hellenic culture.

Popular Paganism uses the Classical Elements. Many such traditions draw correspondences between these elements based on seasons, time day, Tarot and other such things.

Quote:
2) Is there anythign specail you need while meditating (inscents, candles, stuff like that)
The only thing one must have for effective meditation is whatever you need to meditate effectively.

Myself- the only thing I need for mediation is movement. Though a good cup of tea will rarely go amiss- that said, everyone is different. You can find what will work for you through trial and error.

Quote:
3) What do gems do? And where do you get them?
Look pretty- for the most part. Many stones can be found online, as well as local shops. The properties of stones vary from tradition to tradition as well- to say nothing of the differences from person to person.

Quote:
4) Is there any books you can read online or sites about this stuff cause I can't afford books?
Sacred Texts is a good place to start.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:40 am
ForgottenDreamsMyLove

5) I also want to know (if any) what Gods and Goddesses are there?

Hundreds and hundreds, some are popular and well known, others are not.
Some belong to pantheons that don't allow outsiders to worship (i.e the celts) but others do (i.e the greeks, norse etc).

Get your hands on good information, mythology etc and start from there with the gods. Pick a few pantheons you are interested in and research them.

Don't worry about asking questions, it's good to do that!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:28 pm
TeaDidikai

Myself- the only thing I need for mediation is movement. Though a good cup of tea will rarely go amiss- that said, everyone is different. You can find what will work for you through trial and error.

Ha, where as I need silence, dark, and stillness. I've found that if I try the moving stuff, I end up breaking things by accident.

I also use alot of personal imagery in my meditation.  

Tyrannical Princess

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:44 pm
Bacodus
TeaDidikai

Ha, where as I need silence, dark, and stillness. I've found that if I try the moving stuff, I end up breaking things by accident.

I also use alot of personal imagery in my meditation.
I'm more of an ecstatic myself. If I sit in the dark silence, I start to chitter at myself in a counterproductive way unless there is an overpowering situation that overrides it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:49 pm
1) Elements are the fundamental chemical building blocks.
They are used, in composite form, to build compounds which, in turn, make matter.
There are far more than four of them, though some of them only exist in certain energetic situations.

2) I like candles. I like incense. I like my bits of rock. But I don't see that I should need anything for meditating.

3) What do you mean "what do gems do"? And I get them mostly as gifts.

4) About what 'stuff'?

5) Why should we tell you what Gods there are and aren't?  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:18 pm
CuAnnan
I personally viewed it as an open invitation to discussion.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:35 pm
TeaDidikai
CuAnnan

So did I.
I'm just confused as to how we can be expected to answer.
If we take a mathematical analogy.
It is perfectly understandable that a four dimensional frame of reference can describe five dimensional systems. But only in a limited manner.
We as human beings can not describe the Gods in any more than a limited manner.
As such, I am attempting to determine the motivation behind the question in an attempt to better understand how to answer.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

ForgottenDreamsMyLove

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:02 pm
CuAnnan
TeaDidikai
CuAnnan

So did I.
I'm just confused as to how we can be expected to answer.
If we take a mathematical analogy.
It is perfectly understandable that a four dimensional frame of reference can describe five dimensional systems. But only in a limited manner.
We as human beings can not describe the Gods in any more than a limited manner.
As such, I am attempting to determine the motivation behind the question in an attempt to better understand how to answer.

i am basically asking what Gods and Goddesses people believe in. You don't have to tell me im just asking what ones you may believe in. Im sorry is that a bad question to ask?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:49 pm
Myself, I'm a hard polytheist. I believe in the existence and divinity of YHVH as much as I believe in my own gods or Cu's.  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:51 pm
ForgottenDreamsMyLove
i am basically asking what Gods and Goddesses people believe in. You don't have to tell me im just asking what ones you may believe in. Im sorry is that a bad question to ask?

I believe in the Gods of the Gael.
I believe there are other Gods.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:40 am
I believe in the majority of the worlds gods in some shape or form.
I choose to honour the greek pantheon. smile  

patch99329

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:20 am
patch99329

I'm with Patch on the first part. Henotheism FTW. Though I haven't found a "pantheon" to work with...as I haven't quite found my path yet.

Still working on step one...balance is tricky, and fickle  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:32 am
patch99329

Yes. This.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:44 am
Ethermus Prime
patch99329

I'm with Patch on the first part. Henotheism FTW. Though I haven't found a "pantheon" to work with...as I haven't quite found my path yet.

Still working on step one...balance is tricky, and fickle
This isn't really Henotheism.

Max Müller coined the term- defining it as "monotheism in principle and polytheism in fact". I'm not even sure that Kathenotheism works well for what Patch believes, and by proxy by what you have penned, you either.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff