Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Working out when sick?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should I?
  No
  Yes
View Results

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:46 pm
Is it a good idea? I seem to have got a pretty common cold, but because of my bad asthma everything goes straight to my chest so i have a loose cough as well. Its so annoying! I have a lovely plan and I dont want it to be screwed up by me being sick!

The general consensus on the net seems to be that if you have a cold you're good to go, but if you have a cough then you shouldnt exercise sad What do you guys think? I have some drugs that can take care of the cough for a couple of hours while i exercise, but i read something about how you can strain your heart or something..?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:06 pm
Probably best just to lay low and let the cold blow over first.
Skipping a few days isn't going to put your goals down the tube, better to concentrate on recuperating. Eat within your range, and lots of healthy foods, and focus on getting better, is my opinion :3  

Groovy Spleen
Crew

Duchess Giselle

Generous Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:03 am
I agree with groovy (that name makes me want to dance XD), its better to limit your activity till you get better, your body is really weak right now and doing strenuous activity will prevent you from getting any better. Especially with asthma, you'll extend your cold if you get more phlem in your lungs.

Just take it easy and begin again when you're better. Just continue eating healthy and you'll be fine :]  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:15 am
thanks, i feel worse today so im glad i waited for advice before deciding to work out! Any advice on foods that promote a speedy recovery? I know vitamin C helps prevent you from getting colds in the first place, but once you've got one the Vitamin C doesnt make much difference apparently  

Iconised Ghost

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:05 am
A cold is your body's way of saying, "You need a day off." Here's what you do:

1. Force liquids.
Drink a full glass (8 fluid ounces, one cup) of water at least every other hour. This can be water, juice, or broth. SKIP THE MILK, COFFEE, SOFT DRINKS, and CAFFEINATED TEAS, though, because dairy products and anything containing caffeine will stimulate your mucous membranes, causing you to produce more snot and phlegm. Soy milk is fine.

2. Eat real food.
Focus on fruits and vegetables. At least once a day, preferably twice, have something protein-rich, like a boiled egg or some fish or meat; soy milk; tofu, tempeh, or other meat substitute. It doesn't have to be a lot, but definitely don't skip the protein. You need it for strength. No more than a palm-sized portion, though.

3. REST.
Since your body needs rest, don't sit up playing video games. Watch TV if you need stimulation so you don't go into a boredom-coma, or read a book if your eyes can focus that well. Something nice and relaxing, preferably, not something that will cause your heart to race. You don't need anxiety while you're sick. If you can manage it, get a cat to sleep on you. For some reason, having contact with another living being is very soothing to a sick person, and a cat can't catch the cold from you, like a sibling, parent, or spouse/partner/lover can.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:31 pm
thank you, thats very helpful ^_^ I feel better today, i might go for a short walk if the air isnt too cold today. As for the cat, we have been looking for one for ages, now i really wish we had gotten one because you are right, it is so comforting to have an animal when you are sick  

Iconised Ghost

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games