Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
You know...I gota wonder... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Why?! For the love all that is good, holy, and Digital...WHY!?
  Because the world Celt is assioiated with the color green, and thus with "earth" and all the tree hugging Neo-hippy bullshit .
  Cause Knot-work is preety and completly harmless to work with in a spiritual sense!!!
  Cause no one understood when they called them self Marque 'De Guédé
View Results

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:05 pm
just what the hell is it about the Celts that attracts people to tack it on the front of what ever cockamamie title they have given themselves. Celts and Wicca.... it seems these two are the Hip s**t Buzz words to throw in front of other words to make you seem like a more bad-a** mystic then every one else....

"b***h! gimme dem Keys Solomon. I'll open all 72 at once. It's easy for me, I'm CELTIC!"

Seriously! What is this Phenomenon? I mean, it's rare that I hear some one saying something silly like "I practice Norse Voodoo".....but I have seen "I'm a Celtic Warlock, Wiccan High Priest, Thaumaturge". Okay, that was an exageration...

but still...the question remains.....Why?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:04 pm
Well, first and formost, probably because people are idiots. Second...I donno, maybe because the Celtic culture has been romantised? Like the Knights of the Round Table and crap like that? Maybe because it sounds old-worldish and powerful? I guess you don't hear many people claim Vodun because of Hollywood.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:24 pm
Ethermus Prime
I mean, it's rare that I hear some one saying something silly like "I practice Norse Voodoo"
Hey! I know that chick. She lives about five miles away from me. ninja

Anyway- the answer is: "Romantic Historical Revisionism". If you think of Fairies, Gods and Knotwork- you think of bastardized sanitized Celtic cultures. Same with my own personal pet peeve- the G~ Witches are a dime a dozen because they are "mysterious".

The other "helpful" thing is that because "all the oral traditions were lost!" people can make s**t up and no one can tell them otherwise.

Further- due to a fair number of folks in the US not understanding that they have a culture of their own and traditions of their own etc- they tend to long for "things that have stood the test of time"... so they look to the "Old Country" for validity.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:03 am
I find it weird that 'celtic recons' are so lax about the title compared to hellenic recons, norse pagans etc.

If you started casting circles and calling quarters, people in the hellenic community would certainly pull you up on the fact that isn't recon. Yet with the title 'celtic recon' anything seems to count and there is little look at scholarly stuff.

People get put off by hellenic recon because of all the reading, but I get the impression that people get attracted to 'celtic recon' because of OMG FAERIES!

Maybe it's the kind of people the pantheon attracts? Maybe it's the wiccan effect?  

patch99329

Lydia Blue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:15 am
Yeah
Everyone wants to be celtic.
it sounds cool
I kinda did.
Mostly for the Fey
Which exist in plenty of different cultures anyway  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:01 am
patch99329
I find it weird that 'celtic recons' are so lax about the title compared to hellenic recons, norse pagans etc.

If you started casting circles and calling quarters, people in the hellenic community would certainly pull you up on the fact that isn't recon. Yet with the title 'celtic recon' anything seems to count and there is little look at scholarly stuff.
I think the actual Celtic Recons are outnumbered so heavily that their voice gets drowned out in the white noise of IRAB Celts.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:07 am
TeaDidikai
patch99329

I think the actual Celtic Recons are outnumbered so heavily that their voice gets drowned out in the white noise of IRAB Celts.

Indeedy. Wiccan syndrome. emo  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:46 pm
It just never ceases to amaze me. People and their desprerate attempts to avoid being sheep.....they try so hard to be black sheep.

But Sheep is sheep. Ya know? Whats the point of Following the "don't follow the crowd" crowd.  

Ethermus Prime

Deandriea

Nerd

12,050 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:29 pm
Ethermus Prime
It just never ceases to amaze me. People and their desprerate attempts to avoid being sheep.....they try so hard to be black sheep.

But Sheep is sheep. Ya know? Whats the point of Following the "don't follow the crowd" crowd.
Feeling like a rebel without having to be out of he social circle?

I dunno.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:45 pm
Deandriea
Ethermus Prime

Feeling like a rebel without having to be out of he social circle?

I dunno.

I can understand the appeal of that. We are social creatures who enjoy validation after all.  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:58 pm
The Celts have a rich and deep culture.
We have a heritage that is steeped in Glory.
It is attractive.
I understand the desire to belong to a culture like ours.
But it what is being done to it by those who are not of it.
The belief that anyone is entitled to believe whatever they want, that the freedoms of the individual outrank the freedoms of my culture, that is what's destroying my culture.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:17 am
Same reason that before 1939 heaps of people wanted to be Germanic. It's simply wanting to identify with something that is popular, not to validate their existence of course, that would be gauche... *cough*

Rebellion is typically practiced in the 'without a clue' functionality, and has only, to my experiences, increased with the prevalence of the internet and the ability to find others whom will validate, well, pretty much anything (without, of course, validating anything, because rebels need no damn validation... [validate me please, validate me please, validate me please]).

I should sell that as a mantra tape.

Gods forbid that they actually simply suck it up, put some effort in and actually learn something.  

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

With Motion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:29 am
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
Same reason that before 1939 heaps of people wanted to be Germanic. It's simply wanting to identify with something that is popular, not to validate their existence of course, that would be gauche... *cough*
People wanted to be Germanic during World War II? o_O  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:09 am
With Motion
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

I seem to recall an Austrian man who wished so badly he was German.....and not half Jew.....that he Razed half of Europa  

Ethermus Prime

With Motion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:47 am
Ethermus Prime
With Motion
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

I seem to recall an Austrian man who wished so badly he was German.....and not half Jew.....that he Razed half of Europa
Oh. Hahaha. xp I wasn't thinking of it like that.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff