Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
When lighting a Great British barbecue.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rev.Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:53 am
Do not use coals that have gotten wet at any point.

I lit the barbecue last night on the balcony (I live on the 6th floor) using previously wet coals and the amount of smoke was phenomenal. We put it out sharpish, but not before the living room was filled with acrid smoke and some concerned citizen had called 999. Four fire engines turned up and my other half had to explain the situation to several irate firefighters.

We got fish and chips.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:29 am
Wow.

I'm never allowed near the barbeque at home. Maybe my Dad doesn't think I'm manly enough for it yet.

I'm happy to stay clear of it though. It's not really my thing. I'd much rather be in charge of the alcohol.  

mr gimp

NanaharaShuya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:51 pm
when ever someone lights up and starts cooking, someone always looks up and sees the clouds gathering, Well I do live in Preston Lancashire..  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:22 pm
mr gimp
Wow.

I'm never allowed near the barbeque at home. Maybe my Dad doesn't think I'm manly enough for it yet.

I'm happy to stay clear of it though. It's not really my thing. I'd much rather be in charge of the alcohol.

You, not manly? Never! Only a truly manly man would be comfortable in that dress.  

Rev.Matt

[Finrod]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:55 pm
Rev.Matt

I lit the barbecue last night on the balcony (I live on the 6th floor) using previously wet coals and the amount of smoke was phenomenal. We put it out sharpish, but not before the living room was filled with acrid smoke and some concerned citizen had called 999. Four fire engines turned up and my other half had to explain the situation to several irate firefighters.

We got fish and chips.

Could have been worse. I'm minded of the memorable barbecue where my stepdad (a truly idiotic individual) overcame the problem of wet coals with judicious application of petrol.

He decided to try to err on the side of an over-liberal distribution of the fuel in order to ensure that the fire caught.

It caught all right. Christ, did it catch. A "whoomph" like a very very large man clearing his throat, a rolling ball of flame rising, and a frazzled stepdad running about with the back of his jacket on fire while the owner of the garden chased after him shouting "Stay away from the fences, they've just been creosoted!".

As it turned out, he was relatively unharmed (apart from a slightly alarming expression for the next several weeks due to the disconcerting lack of eyebrows), so I didn't feel guilty about collapsing into hysterical giggles (I hasten to add, this giggling was after he'd been put out - it was stunned silence all round while he was actually doing the Homer Simpson style scurrying about trailing smoke).  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:32 pm
I'm never doing a barbeque again stressed
At my uncle's house down in Tooting and the summer sun's out so we think " BBQ time!" As soon as the damn thing was light the skies opened up!!!! Barbeques and summer thunderstorms do NOT mix!!! crying  

fallout_bitch

1,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Window Shopper 100

TheseElegantCrimes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:13 pm
Rev.Matt

We got fish and chips.
Cool story, Bro.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:04 pm
TheseElegantCrimes
Rev.Matt

We got fish and chips.
Cool story, Bro.

Sup' buddy! When'd you join? And you poor man, so much smoke! blaugh  

II Cisara II

Versatile Informer

2,550 Points
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0

TheseElegantCrimes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:08 pm
II Cisara II
TheseElegantCrimes
Rev.Matt

We got fish and chips.
Cool story, Bro.

A day or two after you did. I can't help it, I have an obsession with British culture.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:46 pm
TheseElegantCrimes
II Cisara II
TheseElegantCrimes
Rev.Matt

We got fish and chips.
Cool story, Bro.

A day or two after you did. I can't help it, I have an obsession with British culture.

WOW! Nice.  

II Cisara II

Versatile Informer

2,550 Points
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
Gaian British Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers