Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Pregocnition, Prescience, Prophecy, etc

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:17 pm
I'm making this thread here, as opposed to in ED M&R, in a bid to avoid the muppetry that's prone to plague threads like this.

I'm a dab hand at the Tarot. I use the I-Ching from time to time. I keep meaning to pick up the wood to make an Ogham set for myself, I even bought myself a wood-burning pen specifically for the task.

These are all crutches to use an ability I have that I neither asked for nor want. The selfish part of me says I'd turn it off altogether. The altruistic part of me knows that this would be stupid.

Sure, I've only managed to avert disaster once. Some of the time I've made things worse, most of the time it's like I had no effect whatsoever and once or twice it was self fulfilling prophecy (man they're a cosmic kick in the nuts)

I don't get glimpses of the future. I don't see the event. I just know it's going to happen. I can't give any of the actual examples because that would be in direct violation of priestly confidences.

There's no real explanation of it in Celtic culture that I'm aware of. There are just those with the second sight. I don't like the ability. I don't like the responsibility. I don't like the fact that it comes without an instruction manual. If other people could give an overview of what their various traditions have to say on the matter, it might help me make sense of it. I am starting to believe that it's just an effect of the universe, the shape of space-time or something. Quantum entanglement in themporality or something, because we all know it's scientific if it's got the word quantum in it (this is a dig at myself and myself only).  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:30 pm
I don't know anything about it, but one of my close, pagan friends tells me she has precognitive dreams and that her dad does too. She only told me one occasion that it very obviously helped, in which she warned her sister from taking her usually bus one morning and it turned out that the bus got into an accident on the interstate. It wasn't a live-or-die situation, but it saved her from being late!

A while ago, she told me that she had a dream about me in which someone I knew beat me incredibly bloody and then left me in my apartment bathtub, physically and mentally traumatized. The person she described that did it fit with someone I know and have now cut myself away from entirely. He was a major douchebag, anyway.  

With Motion

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:57 pm
My mother has the disturbing ability to tell if someone has died in pain in a particular area. There are three instances I can remember. One, when my cousin tried to get her to buy a house. Mom refused, and kept asking what happened in the house, specifcly the garage, until my cousin finally told her the previous owner was an elder gentleman who broke his hip and died in his garage. It took him days to die. Another when we were at the fort in St. Augusten (spelling...), there is a room you have to duck down to get into. We went in and she nearly ran over two people go get back out. Then we found out by reading the plaque that when they unbricked to room, there had been a skeleton in it. The last one she told us was when she was a teen. Without telling her where they were going, some of her friends thought it would be funny to take her to Lizzie Bordens house. Mom refused to get out of the car. She said all she saw was red. From that house and the house next door. After they left, they told her who's house it was. She HATES her ability. I've had a few hits with my tarot cards, but nothing signifigant.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:40 pm
I apparently have some minor precog abilities, but mine seems to be of the comforting "this was going to happen" sort. I don't get any warning on horrible things, but I get flashes of the future that usually match up (the one that didn't involved you, Wing, the Tea Shop we were in in WA, and you showing the item your father had made; in my precog flash in college, it was in a case when you showed it to us).

You've seen me cast runes, so you know how that is, but I don't consider that so much ability as interpretation.

What we know of the old Norse had non-psychodrama divination as a normal event - one went under the cloak, waited, and emerged when one had been answered. This isn't the same as the flashes of past or future, though; more of a willed event.

I wish I could be more help. What little examples we have of this ability in stories are almost always tragic, so I have to admit I'm grateful my ability is so minor and comforting.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:55 pm
Sometimes I have dreams. Minor things, echoes of scenes yet to happen, and I don't have any way to differentiate the ones that are predictive from the ones that aren't so it's not very useful and mostly manifests in very strong deja vu. (And usually as soon as I realize it's happening I say, "holy crap, I dreamed this," which is never included in the dream-version.) It was easier to track when I actually made some attempt at recording my dreams. A friend of mine has dreams too, but hers are more apt or useful or timely than mine ever are, and she knows when they're significant or not.

I do better at recording tarot readings, but despite having been practicing it for about eight years now I don't feel like I'm very good at it. Sometimes I get really good readings and then forget about them until months later when I dig them up and go, "Oh. Well, that would have helped."

I don't really know what my tradition has to say about tool-less foreknowledge. There are several forms of tool-based divination, and I suppose the gods may reveal what They wish to individuals, but that's not really the same.

I always find it interesting that a lot of the time, those who most hunger for second sight or physical manifestation of spiritual phenomena have no idea what it would actually be like to bear that ability or audience.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:40 am
My precog abilities are nil.
However, I have the nifty ability of knowing and understanding the present. Whilst not as interesting, it is helpful.
Simpy by watching I uncovered a secret homosexual relationhip ninja .

Hell, even my dreams and divination help me do this.
I pretty much cannot do divination for others, especially cold readings. I either end up telling them what they aleready know, expand on the present situation a bit or find out stuff they don't want me to know.

My dreams do the same. I love how pragmatic my subconscious is, there is no difficult symbolism it's 'this is what is happening, this is how you feel, don't deny it, shut the ******** up and sort it out'. Thus, I also know when dreams are coming from outside sources, because they never make such good sense.
Such things are also helpful when you aren't sure how you feel about something, or you don't grasp a situation fully.  

patch99329

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff