No Twilight is much better ...
View Results

Rualeen

5,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:57 pm
I didn't see a topic concerning her so I decided to make one myself. If there's one person who deserves to be here it is her because she is the origin of all vampire stories today.

First of all i read all her books under her Anne rice name and those were so good 4laugh I'm willing to read the books she wrote under different names but it's very hard to come by in my country. Overal I see her as the first real vampire writer. She gave us the image of the classical vampire. I love vampire stories and i read a lot but I must say. I've read Twilight and the Anita Blake series and many others where I don't know if anbody other thatn me bothered to pick them up and in the end none of those books come close to what I feel when i read her books. They aren't bad of course but they lack emotion and dept. For example Love is a feeling often if not always described in books and many authors give different vieuws on it but only with Anne Rice I always get the feeling it's more than just love. Thos books made me see love as devotion.

Okay enough rampling. Just tell me what you think of her books.

ps. Again sorry for the grammar faults. English is not my native language.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:13 pm
I don't see Anne Rice as the beginning of the vampire story. I'm partial to Mr. Stoker myself, and his story was taken from early legends and superstitions. She may have revitalized the vampire story so that it was again popular.

I got tired of reading Rice's books after a while. I have read all the vampire novels, including the side novels like Pandora and the Blackthorn series. After a while, I find her vamps get stale and stop evolving as people. Obsession is not love.

I'll stick with lighter, fluffier vampire stories, honestly. I prefer a more up-beat approach to things that go bump in the night.  

Wissakins

Rualeen

5,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:51 am
Wissakins
I don't see Anne Rice as the beginning of the vampire story. I'm partial to Mr. Stoker myself, and his story was taken from early legends and superstitions. She may have revitalized the vampire story so that it was again popular.

I got tired of reading Rice's books after a while. I have read all the vampire novels, including the side novels like Pandora and the Blackthorn series. After a while, I find her vamps get stale and stop evolving as people. Obsession is not love.

I'll stick with lighter, fluffier vampire stories, honestly. I prefer a more up-beat approach to things that go bump in the night.

True, I agree that at some point you get enough of her books. But I always pick thme up later. Also about Bram Stoker. Yes and no. The true history of vampires I leave behind because me prof almost trew me out of class after I showed up with a work over fantasy creatures (36 pages long)
Normally 3 where enough xd
I warned the man I wasn't normal 4laugh

But back to Stoker. I read it and the beginning was good but towards the ending the cliche got a hold of me and I wasn't really interested anymore. Probably because I expected so much of it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:12 pm
I just started reading Anne Rice novels...and so far I love her writing. I Don't see either as the mother(or father) of vampire novels, I don't think any writer can really claim that...Anyways, I just think her writing is amazing, it's descriptive, but still really attention grabbing....  

bumbbles10

Minerva the Whore 4 Books

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:42 pm
Quote:
But back to Stoker. I read it and the beginning was good but towards the ending the cliche got a hold of me and I wasn't really interested anymore. Probably because I expected so much of it.

I'm going to have to agree with Wissakins about Stoker's Dracula being the first "real" vampyr book. It came hundreds of years before any modern fantasy. The reason it seems cliche to you is that so many people copied it, not because it copied the ideas of someone else.

I read Interview with the Vampire and I didn't like it. I disliked the writing style; it didn't seem to flow smoothly in my opinion, and it was as if Rice was trying too hard to make the tale frightening and tragic.

Nonetheless, I appreciate that she inspired numerous other authors to write vampyrs.

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games