What was that book?!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:23 pm
Have you ever forgotten the title, author, and characters of a book, but beenable to remember the plot almost perfectly? Have you seen others struggling to remember the title of a book, and wanted to help? This is the thread for you! Whether you want to help, or need the help yourself, the FBG is here for you!

Basically, if you don't remember anything about a book except for its plot, and want help remembering the title (at the least), post the description/summary/synopsis that you remember here and maybe someone will know it.

Simple, right? n.n I hope this works out~

The second post will be reserved for the summaries of books that still need an answer. And the third post will be for summaries that were answered.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:26 pm
Books that are still unknown:

ziggyboggydoo
okay hear it gose.... there is this evil witch who has this kid , that is exactly like him. This girl get exiled i think and somehow trys to save him....the witch and her son r identical...um...her son defeats her...thats all i can rember...if u could help me that would be great. it's been nagging me forever

NightIntent
I read this book sometime in middle school, about six or seven years ago. I can't remember the author or the title of the book at all. All I remember is the main character, a girl, is beaten by her father. One day, he hits her with a riding crop or something and the cut it leaves on her hand looks like an arrowhead. She decides to run away, to look for this group of people with magic. These people who have magic all have marks on their bodies somewhere that symbolize what type of magic they have. I believe a hunter had a bow mark somewhere. So the girl finds them, and falls in love with one of them, and goes through a trial (or three) so that she can become one of them. And she does, and the arrow-shaped mark on her hand turns silver and she's the Pathfinder or something along those lines.

I'm guessing it was new back when I read it, because it was in hardcover. And that's all I know about it. <.<

NightIntent
Captain

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:27 pm
Solved mysteries!

Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson
Wissakins
The male main character is pretty unmemorable for me until he rapes a girl by some body of water. I think this book was the first in a series by an author who's relatively well known. I can't remember anything else though because after all his whining about "poor me" I couldn't be bothered to read another chapter.

The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop
Domiera
so I've searched my brain and found a trilogy that I canna remember.

I read it some years ago, so I only kinda remember some parts of it.
The Main Female started with a J. was quite young when the trilogy started out, ended up living very long time because shes some sort of super wizard.

umm the wizards powers are based in gems, the highest of which is a black opal i think?? or something like that? anyways, some gems are harder to "control" and so the higher gem you have the more power. She ended up with a necklace of the hardest gems ever, and then she discovered a new type and had a bunch of those.

ummmmm the guys in the book, if they are of a certain power level keep their thumbnails long and sharp because theres a poison pocket thing there, kinda like a Black widow, which is what i think they were called.....

was really great and I uber want to read it again, but I have no idea who the authour is or any of the names sad its very sad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:51 am
awww i feel sad for the thread. its all lonely!

The Main Female started with a J. was quite young when the trilogy started out, ended up living very long time because shes some sort of super wizard.

umm the wizards powers are based in gems, the highest of which is a black opal i think?? or something like that? anyways, some gems are harder to "control" and so the higher gem you have the more power. She ended up with a necklace of the hardest gems ever, and then she discovered a new type and had a bunch of those.

ummmmm the guys in the book, if they are of a certain power level keep their thumbnails long and sharp because theres a poison pocket thing there, kinda like a Black widow, which is what i think they were called.....

was really great and I uber want to read it again, but I have no idea who the authour is or any of the names sad its very sad  

Domiera

5,700 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:31 pm
That sounds like the Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop. I don't remember the nails thing, but then it's been years since I read it. The jewel stuff all sounds the same, though.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:39 pm
Domiera

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy. The protagonist's name is Jaenelle, if that rings a bell.

The guys don't all have a snake's tooth fingernail, though. In fact, mostly only female Black Widow's have it (well, I suppose I should actually say that mostly there are only female Black Widows). The only males that have a snake's tooth are Saetan Daemon SaDiablo and Daemon Sadi, and Daemon's the only male to have it naturally occur.  

GhanimaOfArrakis

Wissakins

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:21 am
The only book I can't remember is one I never want to read again, not even on accident.

The male main character is pretty unmemorable for me until he rapes a girl by some body of water. I think this book was the first in a series by an author who's relatively well known. I can't remember anything else though because after all his whining about "poor me" I couldn't be bothered to read another chapter.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:01 pm
GhanimaOfArrakis
Domiera

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy. The protagonist's name is Jaenelle, if that rings a bell.

The guys don't all have a snake's tooth fingernail, though. In fact, mostly only female Black Widow's have it (well, I suppose I should actually say that mostly there are only female Black Widows). The only males that have a snake's tooth are Saetan Daemon SaDiablo and Daemon Sadi, and Daemon's the only male to have it naturally occur.

omg heart 4laugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I also bow to your amazing ability to understand the random description that I had. I wasn't actually expecting it to make sense to anyone. You are officially my hero for at least the next three days!!!!!  

Domiera

5,700 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100

Celestiara

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:54 pm
There is a website called Book Stumpers, run by Loganberry Books, that allows you to post a description of your book online for $2, and librarians from all over the country often check it and take the postings as a personal challenge. They enjoy more than a 70% success rate, (because not all descriptions are enough to go on.)

Check it out at www.logan.com/loganberry/stump.html

I learned about this in my Children's Literature 305 class, and I know it's good quality.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:48 am
Ok, by reading someone else's post, I have now discovered the book I absolutely hate. Its the first of the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson. I will never read that crap again. lol  

Wissakins

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:23 am
Okay, I have one that's been haunting me for like two years.

I read this book sometime in middle school, about six or seven years ago. I can't remember the author or the title of the book at all. All I remember is the main character, a girl, is beaten by her father. One day, he hits her with a riding crop or something and the cut it leaves on her hand looks like an arrowhead. She decides to run away, to look for this group of people with magic. These people who have magic all have marks on their bodies somewhere that symbolize what type of magic they have. I believe a hunter had a bow mark somewhere. So the girl finds them, and falls in love with one of them, and goes through a trial (or three) so that she can become one of them. And she does, and the arrow-shaped mark on her hand turns silver and she's the Pathfinder or something along those lines.

I'm guessing it was new back when I read it, because it was in hardcover. And that's all I know about it. <.<  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:59 pm
okay hear it gose.... there is this evil witch who has this kid , that is exactly like him. This girl get exiled i think and somehow trys to save him....the witch and her son r identical...um...her son defeats her...thats all i can rember...if u could help me that would be great. it's been nagging me forever  

12l531

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff