Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
I need some advice.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:21 pm
Ok, so now that summers here, I really want to get down to work on losing weight. Anyways, I've been doing better. I have really started to cut down on junk food and I have started to eat smaller portions. I've also cut down on howm uch pop I drink, but there is where the problem is at the moment. Anyways, so i live in a town, but my family owns a small farm, and all my mom ever has to drink there is pop, so that is a bit of a problem. And also, when at the farm, my mom does a crap load of grilling and other kinds of food like that. And my mom keeps buying stuff for smores, and then she just sticks the choclate bars right there in the fridge, which makes it very hard not to eat a candy bar, as I very much love chocolate. But I need to eat less junk food, 1. because I'm trying to lose weight, and sticking chocolate right there pretty much in my face doesn't really help much, and 2. I have an acne problem on my face that doesn't seem to want to go away and more chocolate sure isn't gong to help that. So anyways, I need a good way to stay away from the junk food while at our farm, the pop problem I have figured out, I'm just going to get a water bottle and keep that filled with water to drink. But the junk food and the other unhealthy foods are more of a problem. Also, I have to ask, is stuff like Green tea, and white tea good for you? Because, I can't stand the taste of plain iced tea, or plain tea, but I like green tea, and white tea. And I am also wondering if there is a good way to keep going on with trying to lose wieght with out giving up again like I have before? Because my mom seems to think that telling me how fat i look sure as hell doesn't seem to help. She keeps telling me how fat I am and that I need to lose weight, I know I need to lose weight, but her telling me how fat I look sure isn't helping me much at all. So basically, I just need advice. Also, I'm sorry about the long post.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:22 am
wow that sounds pretty over whelming! Im just going to go through your post bit by bit (because im a bit slow >.<)

1. You've been doing better
Congrats! Keep up the new habits you have been developing. Maintenance is hard, but pays off in the end

2. All there is to dirnk is pop
I know water is really boring, but maybe you could use it to dilute the pop? So you gradually ween yourself off it and you decrease the amount you are having? Or perhaps get some cordial so the water isnt so boring, but you're not drinking pop all the time

3. Grilling, bad foods and chocolate
Yes this is so hard! I know how you feel, living at home with people who arent dieting is hard. What you do here probably depends on your personal situation (sorry, i dont know you very well >.<). You can talk to your mum and say you are trying to lose weight, and could she please not put the bars where you are tempted, and try to do healthier dinners. If that doesnt work, you could try going shopping with her and getting some healthier stuff for you, that you can cook yourself.

4. Tea
I think green tea is good for you, im not sure about white tea. I know you have to be careful with caffeine in green tea, and decaffinated- well apparently, you dont even want to know what they do to tea to decaffinate it. But given the option between pop and tea, i'd take the tea, definately

Sorry if that doesnt help sweatdrop  

Iconised Ghost

alwyscrying240

5,300 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:09 am
Hmm, I have a mom like that.

My whole family (except for me) is tiny. My sisters are size 0, and my brothers fit into 32s. My mom is natually a 5, and when I was younger, she would say that I was "fat" and that I needed to lose weight. And then turn around and offer everyone cookies/pies/fatty foods.

Of course, I dont blame her for my weight problem, but she didnt make me feel any better about myself.

You should definitely talk to your mom about this contradicting lifestlye she is putting you through. If she wants you to lose weight, and you want to as well, then try to use her as motivation. Tell her that the sweets are too much for you this early in the game, and need her help with this lifestyle change.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:20 am
My dad's the kind of guy that believes in cheese, and meat as food groups. So I hear you.

Water is wonderful tasting to me, and if you don't like what comes out of your tap because I'm the first to say that it isn't always nice, get a brita filter, They range from 16-30$ on a low end to high end scale.

As far as green and white tea/other drinks go. Nothing is healthy if you put enough sugar into it (and that's my word of warning) I've had friends trying to loose weight and they were all 'arg tea' but they put so much sugar into things that it just destroyed all the benefits.

White tea does not have much caffeine in it, but as stated before by ms. ghost, green tea does. Roiboos tea however does not, it also has iron and other vitamins. It's VERY good for you.

However, tea does not always work if you're too hot.

My favourite hot weather drink is a large jug of iced ginger lemon water, you can do this very easily in your water bottles too. Grate as much ginger as you like, and then add lemon juice, the recipe originally called for honey but I don't care to heat up water first.

And my final word, from living with my family I know what hell it is to try and do something dietary when they don't want to.

Figure out a way to talk to your family so that it doesn't seem like they're doing any extra work. My family was never keen on extra work.  

Lady Schist

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games