Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Best/Worse jobs for weight loss.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:50 pm
edit: I just got a wireless computer for my bike. So now I will know EXACTLY how many kilometers, how fast and how long I am biking. I'm very exited about this.

I was super exited about getting a job as a bike Patroller this summer. I'm basically paid to bike 7hrs a day. (plus 1hr paid lunch) I bike and average of 30k a day so far. (it's been 2 weeks). So I was thinking by the end of the summer I'd be really fit. The problem is with this sudden increase in exercise I have been SO HUNGRY. And my craving of junk food has doubled. Today I had ice cream at lunch, for desert and, desert again. Plus the station I work at is right smack in the middle of some of my favorite restaurants. So much for loosing more weight this summer.

Best jobs for loosing weight?
worst?

Last summer I worked in a canteen. Surrounded by food all day and just sitting around bored, definitely made weight loss difficult.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:17 am
remember fibre will fill you up more than ice cream will 3nodding and im guessing the energy you get from stuff like that, like pastas etc, will last you longer when you're biking around

Surprisingly enough being a waitress was my best job for losing weight. You're constantly on your feet, you dont eat much because you dont have time, you especialyl dont get a chance to eat late and night, and when you do eat its good food, because the restaurant i worked at made pretty healthy stuff. Well not super healthy, but it wasnt all deep fried stuff or anything.  

Iconised Ghost

Lady Schist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:26 am
Being a waitress was good for me, but that was WHERE I was rather than what I was doing, (I'd have actually lost more weight if I'd been in the cleaning squad)

Nature retreat for the win!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:45 am
I got a job for the summer, and started on the 2nd of this month. I think its a good job, the pay is ok, and I get more exercise. My job is helping the janitors at school clean out lockers and classrooms and stuff. And I walk to and from work, as the school is only a few blocks from my house, so I do more walking each day because I walk to and from work. Its good exercise, and walking instead of driving helps the environment 3nodding  

Kay-VW

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:00 am
Crazy Cat Reincarnated
I was super exited about getting a job as a bike Patroller this summer. I'm basically paid to bike 7hrs a day. (plus 1hr paid lunch) I bike and average of 30k a day so far. (it's been 2 weeks).

This is fantastic. Even if you eat poorly, you'll still be building muscle mass. Muscle is more dense than fat, so ten pounds of muscle looks slimmer than ten pounds of fat. Even if you don't lose any weight, you'll be losing size, which as we all know is the real goal of weight loss. We don't really care how much we weigh, do we? We care how much we LOOK like we weigh!

Weigh yourself, of course, every week. But also, measure yourself every week at key points on your body: waistline, hips, chest, upper arm circumference, thigh circumference. Watch the inches drop, even if your weight doesn't change very much.

Crazy Cat Reincarnated
The problem is with this sudden increase in exercise I have been SO HUNGRY. And my craving of junk food has doubled. Today I had ice cream at lunch, for desert and, desert again. Plus the station I work at is right smack in the middle of some of my favorite restaurants.

That's okay, too. Just because you crave something doesn't mean you have to eat it. Start with a healthy breakfast, such as a cup of yogurt, a scrambled egg (not TOO much butter/oil in the pan), and a banana. Bring your lunch to work. Once every two hours, take a BRIEF pause to eat an apple or a handful of berries or grapes, and swig down some water. At lunch, have a healthy meal such as a turkey wrap (bonus points if it's wrapped in whole-wheat tortilla, spinach tortilla, or lettuce!). You'll be eating enough to stave off some or all of your cravings, keep your energy high, and satisfy your actual hunger (your body's need for nutrition), but little enough that you'll still be losing weight.

Crazy Cat Reincarnated

Bike patrol, bike cop, bike courier. Surfing/skiing instructor. Kindergarten teacher, gym teacher, fitness instructor/personal trainer. Swim instructor/lifeguard. Dancer. Retail sales (lots of standing/walking around, serving customers). Stock boy/girl (lifting and carrying boxes). Delivery worker (lifting, carrying, walking). House painter, carpenter. Production assistant on a movie (lots of walking/running). Farmer, ranch hand. Nurse (lifting of supplies and patients). Park/forest/preserve guide or patroller. Walking-tour guide. Anything that keeps you on your feet.

Crazy Cat Reincarnated

worst?

Food critic, bakery or restaurant worker/owner, chef, pretty much anything involving food at all. Anything that requires you to sit at a desk all dang day, like my job.

But there are ways to get around that. Even in an office situation, there's always something to lift. Once an hour, take a 5-minute exercise break. Lift and lower a heavy clipboard in each hand with arms outstretched, about 20 times. While sitting and typing, take your desk trash can between your feet and lift and lower that about 20 times (or more, if you lose count). Pace while talking on the phone. When an order of office supplies comes in, be the first person to volunteer to put it all away -- and carry each box yourself, don't use the little dolly-cart unless the boxes are just too heavy for you to lift at all. Tighten your butt and tummy muscles for ten seconds, then release, and do that about 10 times every hour (or more). There's plenty of exercise to be found in an office, if you know where to look.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:18 am
My job at animal control makes me sweat like pig. It's a lot of hard work, especially checking in animals. blarg. but it's good for you.  

YourLittleLovingNightmare

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm
Crazy Cat Reincarnated
I was super exited about getting a job as a bike Patroller this summer. I'm basically paid to bike 7hrs a day. (plus 1hr paid lunch) I bike and average of 30k a day so far. (it's been 2 weeks).

Divash
This is fantastic. Even if you eat poorly, you'll still be building muscle mass. We care how much we LOOK like we weigh!

Weigh yourself, of course, every week. But also, measure yourself every week at key points on your body

way ahead of ya!

Crazy Cat Reincarnated
The problem is with this sudden increase in exercise I have been SO HUNGRY. And my craving of junk food has doubled. Today I had ice cream at lunch, for desert and, desert again. Plus the station I work at is right smack in the middle of some of my favorite restaurants.

Divash
That's okay, too. Just because you crave something doesn't mean you have to eat it. Start with a healthy breakfast... Bring your lunch to work. Once every two hours, take a BRIEF pause to eat an apple or a handful of berries or grapes, and swig down some water.

I start each day off right. A bowl of cereal or some whole wheat eggos. With some fresh fruit. I bring my own lunch. Usually pasta, something with lots of carbs. I'd like to cut down on the microwave lunches cause I know microwaving kills a lot of the nutricious value. I bring healthy(ish) snacks. Like nuts, carrots, sun chips, granola bars etc. We stop often, since we do park surveillance. I drink maybe 1-2L just during those eight hours. For dinner I'm at the mercy of my parents who aren't exactly health nuts. Even with all the planning, I still end up... Well, today, I ate a WHOLE bag of pistashios (that's about 75g of fat) We stopped for slushies (I got a coffee ice cream bar.) Then later we stopped at McDonalds and go McFlurries. I called my mom and told her I just want Salad. I came home to the smallest salad in history and my mom said if I was hungry I could have some italian sausage and pasta with cheese, which was all warm and ready on the counter. Now the ice cream in the freezer is calling my name. I WILL RESIST!!!

Crazy Cat Reincarnated

Divash
Bike patrol, bike cop, bike courier. Surfing/skiing instructor.

I thought about how funny it would be if I was bike patroller by Summer, ski patrol by winter!!!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:30 pm
You do actually need to increase calories when your workload increases.

Since you started a very heavily exercise intense job, you more than likely need to increase your calories to keep losing at a steady pace.

Say, if you were on a 1500c a day, you COULD need to bump your diet up as much as 500 calories more to compensate for the extra exercise.

More calories burned=more fuel needed.

So, if you feel hungry, eat more.
Or else all you'll be basically starving yourself, even though you are 'technically' eating enough calories.

Add some more protein to your breakfast and lunch to fill you up. Maybe add egg whites to your morning meal, and a portion of grilled fish or chicken to your lunch.

If your hungry, eat more, it's as simple as that.
Just choose healthful foods smile  

Groovy Spleen
Crew

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:11 pm
I just got a wireless computer for my bike. So now I will know EXACTLY how many kilometers, how fast and how long I am biking. I'm very exited about this.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:02 pm
wow what a neat device! Expensive?  

Iconised Ghost

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:39 am
Iconised Ghost
wow what a neat device! Expensive?

They start around $20 (CDN) and go to about $35, all depending on how many functions. There are probably some even more expensive, but a simple one would run you anywhere between 20 and 30.

Mine has, current speed, clock, average speed, max speed, speed comparator, trip distance, odometer, trip time, freeze frame memory, uhhh, I think that's it. I'm gonna go install it now, it's a lot easier to install than I thought, or at least mine is.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:25 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I'm going to be working at a daycare in which they go for daily walks for about a mile or more a day. ^_^

Call Me Stephanie

II Tsubaki II

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:37 pm
I think the WORST job I ever had to lose weight was McDonalds. The food was free for the employees! I worked there 4 months over summer vacation and I think I gained 50LBS!!!! NO JOKE! I don't know what I was thinking! That was a long time ago though and I know better now. Even if you work at a job like that with all that temptation you have to find a way to bring healthy foods with you and ignore the bad ones. It's hard but it's something you gotta do to lose that weight!!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:57 am
Any place that sells food unless it's a healthy food place is going to be good for you. Seriously. The only saving grace of my working in a grocery store is that I usually forget about all the lovely foods that pass right under my nose every day.  

Lady Schist

spiitze

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:27 am
I work in a fast food restaurant.

its all standing around, and grilling food. it's super hot. and i don't eat while i'm there, but if i do get food, it winds up being like udon soup, or sushi. :]

i think it's decent for weight loss. my problem is that i tend to pig out once i get home D:  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games