Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Pearls?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chibi Kappa Sigma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:09 pm
Hi everyone! So I turned 16 this year and my parents have offered to get me a nice ring to celebrate it. I think pearls are beautiful and I considered getting a pearl ring. However, I'm not sure whether they are considered "vegetarian". I'm a vegetarian, not a vegan. I know they aren't vegan, but what do you guys think? Thank you for your opinions.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:54 pm

I strongly recommend against asking for a pearl ring. They're made by inserting a grain of sand (or other irritant) into an oyster, which is irritating and painful, so they form a pearl sac around it to protect their body. After a few years of this process, it ends up as a pearl, which is removed through either an operation or by killing the oyster.

Oyster farms use this process to insert an irritant:

Karipearls.com

Each operator has strips of prepared living mantle/epithelial tissue to be inserted with the nuclei. One oyster must die to provide this tissue which is cut from its mantle and its rough edges cut away, for 14-15 inserted nuclei. Too bad...but that is how pearls are made. The strip of tissue is cut into tiny squares and stays alive for 2 hours...so must be used within that time frame.

In summary: suffering, pain, and death for the sake of vanity? I would definitely say no.

loony x lovegood
Crew

Chibi Kappa Sigma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:53 am
Wow, I didn't know whether or not the oyster dies during the pearl process. Now that I know for certain that they do kill the oysters, I'm definitely against pearls. It seems just like fur, which I'm very strongly against. Thank you for the information, veganlicious. I won't be getting any more pearls, and I won't wear any that I receive/d as a gift. I totally agree with you. Encourage mass suffering and killing of oysters, just so I can have a memento? I'll get a real rock. At least it doesn't hurt a stone when you cut it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:19 pm
unless you're worried about spreading the idea that real pearls are okay, i would suggest you try seeing if you could get your hands on a secondhand pearl ring [like at a pawn shop].

otherwise, i suggest you not get any sort of pearl ring.

aoijea23487

Sazzie Lotus Song

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:15 pm
Try getting a fake pearl. 3nodding In my opinion, it looks just as pretty. biggrin
Peace and Love,
Sazzie heart  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:20 am
Sazzie Loves Bunnies
Try getting a fake pearl. 3nodding In my opinion, it looks just as pretty. biggrin
Peace and Love,
Sazzie heart
I agree with this. Maybe you could ask for a pretty ring that has a fake pearl.

Fairytale Endings

Lady Callie G

8,900 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:27 pm
I say it depends. It's really hard to know if your pearls are ethical. If you can find a dead oyster on the beach though with a pearl inside.....  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:31 pm
Chibi Ten
I'll get a real rock. At least it doesn't hurt a stone when you cut it.
eh, be careful of where you get your diamonds from too. there's a reason some are called "blood diamonds."  

pinkcatminht

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff