Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Virtues....

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:50 am
So, in my many moments of pondering I began to think of cultures and their many virtues. What qualties differnt people heald as virtuies....why is a virtue a virtue....

and most importantly, What are my Virtues? What are virtues I hold in high regard in others?

I thought it would be interesting if we went around and shared our Virtues, are views on what is the nature of a virtue and such things. ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:42 pm
In a sense, I value honor (pativ). This honor is less about fine words and noble pacts and all that (though that can be found in there too at times) and more to do with being honest about one's nature- especially to oneself.

Wonder, Awe, Beauty- that feeling that exists is the ability to recognize something that is different from yourself that causes us to expand.

I view knowledge as the means to “enlightenment”. There is a magical axiom that starts off with “To Know”, and ignorance can be a life threatening impairment, therefore knowledge is a virtue.

Wisdom is knowing how to properly apply knowledge- after all, having a tool you aren't able to use is hardly helpful.

Joy, Passion, (losh)- the ability to embrace life- that zest for life that is at the heart of corporeal experiences.

I consider vengeance to be a virtue. Revenge is a natural expression of the human condition. It doesn’t have to be grand, nor “noble”, it merely needs to sate the wound that has been afflicted. All too often people lecture about how it doesn't really help the situation. Perhaps their framework makes it so- because it sure helps me.

One can only truly control one’s own actions. As such, freedom gains special value, providing the foundation of the nature of freedom.

To be able to sustain oneself through one’s own hands and wits is a virtue as it perpetuates one's ability to enjoy the other virtues- thus to be skilled is important.  

TeaDidikai

Gambling Setzer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:10 pm
Faithfulness- To be able to keep to one's word in regards to another person. Be it family, friends, or lovers.

Honesty- To be true to oneself, and to others. Lying does not always have to be the necessary thing to do.

Knowledge- A strong virtue for me. The knowledge of things can prepare oneself for all things in life.

Wisdom- Same as what Tea said. Another prized virtue.

Responsibility- I believe full well in being able to harm a person for doing wrongs to another. However, if one is to do so in a way that breaks a law, then one should willingly accept punishment. Be it from another person, the law enforcement, or any such means.

Judgment- Clarity of thought. Not to be biased on one's opinion of another. Per say, do not judge a criminal for being a criminal in a situation, just because he's a criminal. Do not presume a loved one is innocent, just because you love them. To do what one thinks is right, regardless of how it hurts himself, or those he loves, makes this to be what I believe, the hardest to accomplish.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:52 pm
Gambling Setzer
Faithfulness- To be able to keep to one's word in regards to another person. Be it family, friends, or lovers.
Do you feel it is acceptable to build in "Escape Clauses" into oaths?  

TeaDidikai

Gambling Setzer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:19 pm
TeaDidikai
Gambling Setzer
Escape clause as in how?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:25 pm
Gambling Setzer
TeaDidikai
Gambling Setzer
Escape clause as in how?
I swear to do X.... unless y, z,q, h or 7.  

TeaDidikai

Gambling Setzer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:38 pm
TeaDidikai
Gambling Setzer
TeaDidikai
Gambling Setzer
Escape clause as in how?
I swear to do X.... unless y, z,q, h or 7.
As long as it remains under the law, I see no problem with it. If one is to make an oath, within reason, I see no problem with carrying it out. Furthermore, it depends on the relationship with people. If say, two lovers were to quarrel, and to eventually go separate ways, there is no more oath between the two. However, say a child is involved, there lovers, have no contract to each other, yet with the child. Same for friends who part ways.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:01 am
I really prize honesty. I am honest to a fault. I will tell you that you look fat in that dress. I (in most cases) see lying as an impediment to knowledge, which I also see as a virtue.

Freedom is a biggie. I don't think I really need to explain that one.

Yeah, I agree with responsibility. I think it is our responsibility as humans to care for this planet, as we are the only ones that can really alter it. Personal responsibility is very important as well. I'll never ask for perfection of anyone, but making amends when one has faltered shows strength of character. You have to do your best to be responsible, so try to fix your mistakes even when you fail.

I don't think 'honor' in the usual sense is important, or even good. I seem to have trouble thinking lawfully. I find laws of letter rather than intent or consequence to be pointless and unnecessarily confining, abridging my freedom without due cause.

Revenge may be a natural impulse, but I don't think that makes it a virtue. I really see nothing good that comes of it. It doesn't make me feel better at all. Now, if someone say, murdered my little brother, I'd probably kill them. I wouldn't think it's a moral thing to do, but I don't know if I could let them live. I wonder if I'd even be sorry.

Yeah, joy is a good thing. We should strive to be joyful.  

Koravin

Calixti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:23 pm
I'm with Koravin on honesty. I don't lie, and I expect other people not to lie either. It's gotten me in trouble before, because I unfortunately lack tact.

Responsibility - another big one. Keeping your word when it's given, being accountable for your actions and accepting all consequences, positive or negative. Not playing the "blame game," which requires admission that you're wrong and trying to make it right, which leads to the next one, justice.

Justice is about righting wrongs, not revenge or making yourself or anybody else feel better. The law can be a useful framework for delivering justice, but imo, it's not always sufficient. There's some wrongs I'm not sure can be righted, and blatant punishment seems to increase the injustice rather than put it right, but it's possible I just haven't given it enough thought.

Knowledge, both the learning and the application of, are important. I consider learning one of the chief pleasures of life and believe asking questions is the first and most important way to grow. If I could, I'd honestly stay a student forever.

Love is probably the most important. Love for the planet, for humankind, and for oneself. Honestly I think learning to love oneself is one of the most difficult things for a lot of people to do, and it's certainly something I'm working on. I believe that joy, passion, and happiness aren't possible without love.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games