Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Year and a Day. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you done a Year and a Day ritual?
Yes
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
No
92%
 92%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 13

Zelroth7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:43 am
I was looking into some year and a day things, and I came across this guy, Christopher Penczak.

He's written a few books but the ones I'm mainly interested in are his Temple of Witchcraft series.
The Inner Temple of Witchcraft
The Outer Temple of Witchcraft
The Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft
The Temple of High Witchcraft

and another one coming out in November.

I also have another book, Wicca A Year and a Day by Timothy Roderick.

I was wondering if anyone had any information on these Authors/Books. I'm going to be starting them soon and I don't want to figure out I've picked up a book by another Silver Ravenwolf gonk .

Also, has anyone else done any year and a day rituals? Share your thoughts if you have whee

BTW: Wicca A Year and a Day is an everyday (aka day 1-366 day by day guide) and The Temple of Witchcraft books are like 1 lesson per month so I shouldn't burn myself out smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:49 am
What do you hope to achieve by doing whatever it is you are doing for a year and a day?  

TeaDidikai

Zelroth7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:52 am
I hope to get Deeper in touch with my spirituality. For a few months now I've been trying to figure out what I believe in and I think that this will help me open my Mind.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:54 am
Why do you think that an arbitrary number of days will produce this?  

TeaDidikai

Zelroth7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:03 am
It was used as the time-line for pagan initiations. One year for practice and a day of reflection.

I'm borrowing this quote from Yahoo Answers:
"I am a North American Eclectic Wiccan and High Priest of Yarrow Coven. The year and a day is used for both handfastings and as a time of study between the time a person becomes a Dedicant and the time of actual initiation into the coven. Now days it is mostly a Wiccan thing. Some generic Pagans who have adopted Wiccan ritual format also follow it. However, the concept in much older than Wicca."  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:07 am
Zelroth7
It was used as the time-line for pagan initiations. One year for practice and a day of reflection.
It seems that you are under the impression that pagan initiations were uniform in their practice. Forgive me if I am mistaken in what I am inferring.
Quote:
I am a North American Eclectic Wiccan and High Priest of Yarrow Coven.
There's no such thing as an Eclectic Wica.
Quote:
The year and a day is used for both handfastings and as a time of study between the time a person becomes a Dedicant and the time of actual initiation into the coven.
Wica has no set time for how long an individual spends prior to their initiation into the mysteries.

This isn't a very good source.

Why would a year of practice unto itself be enough time?  

TeaDidikai

Zelroth7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:17 am
I guess I was generalizing a bit.

But what do you mean by "no such thing" as Eclectic Wica?

I just picked the source because I thought it explained what I was trying to say.

I guess it depends on the person, some could really click with it and for some it could take 10 years.

And I guess "a year and a day" just sounded right for me.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:20 am
Eclectic Wica doesn't exist; Wica is a lineaged, secret society, not an open tradition. Anyone who claims to talk about oathbound Wica in books or publicly available sources are either oathbreakers or lying.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:22 am
Zelroth7
And I guess "a year and a day" just sounded right for me.
Why did it sound right?

Deo> Third option, they were informed by oath breakers.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:23 am
TeaDidikai
Deo> Third option, they were informed by oath breakers.

Fair enough.

Secret Societies are SO 1890s.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Zelroth7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:38 am
Ok, I must have my semantics mixed up.

As for why I like the year and a day thing, I like the Cerridwen: Keeper of the Cauldron myth.

But does anyone know about Christopher Penczak or Timothy Roderick?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:53 am
Zelroth7
Ok, I must have my semantics mixed up.

As for why I like the year and a day thing, I like the Cerridwen: Keeper of the Cauldron myth.

But does anyone know about Christopher Penczak or Timothy Roderick?

That myth refers directly to boiling a cauldron; were you planning on mimicking it for some reason? Or, going a more alchemical direction and choosing a retort of some sort? Do you place yourself in the role of the brew-maker or the brew-stealer?

Penczak combines Celtic and Norse holidays on his blog without comment, so looks like he's a fairly standard eclectic pagan. Roderick has a fairly standard statement on how Wiccans look to nature as a guide,so my guess is he's in a similar place. It's likely you'll get from them what you'll get from most websites on "Wicca"; that is what is accepted as standard Outer Court Wicca knowledge without any of the subtleties which are part of the oathbound tradition.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:57 am
In addition to Culture Rape, Penczak is also an oath breaker- he published a number of second and third degree symbols in his books on Reiki.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:59 am
TeaDidikai
In addition to Culture Rape, Penczak is also an oath breaker- he published a number of second and third degree symbols in his books on Reiki.

Whoops.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:02 pm
Deoridhe
Whoops.