Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Net Slum [a guild for .hack fans]

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of the anime/game series, dot hack. 

Tags: dot hack, .hack//sign, .hack//G.U., .hack, skeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiittthhh 

Reply Chatterbox
Researching MMORPGs, any suggestions?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bane Rie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:45 pm

I'm going to be writing a novel about a woman who's sister is killed by her online stalker through an MMORPG- Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. She takes up the game to find said PC and gets caught up in a bigger conspiracy.

Now I've seen .hack// just about everything, played the games, I used to have Second Life (though my comp won't redownload it now), Mabinogi messed with my PC so I deleted it (too bad, it was a good one too), and I started Pirates Online. Does anyone have other free or interesting games, anime, manga, books, etc. that I can use for research?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:02 pm

Um, I'm not quite sure if I fully understand what you're asking, but I'll try my best to answer. sweatdrop
If you're looking for MMOs to look at, Sword of the New World and NeoSteam are a lot of fun. (Keep in mind that NeoSteam is in beta right now. Amazing concept, but it's still in testing).

User Image

Sanus Ex Machina

Epitaph Orealis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:13 pm

NeoSteam?!
Sans, have you been holding out on me? d:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:50 pm

Now whar would you get that idea? 8D
Lolz, you play?

User Image

Sanus Ex Machina

The Slate Scholar
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 pm

Your story seems oddly reminiscent of the .hack//IMOQ
storyline [especially .hack//ANOTHER BIRTH]. Surely
you didn't base the story off of this, right?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:12 pm

That does sound exactly like the original .hack series from BlackRose's point of view.

Epitaph Orealis

Bane Rie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:34 pm

It was inspired by it, but not based on it. And the story I'm working on is notably darker, featuring a suicide virus. More than one main character falls to this thing. And it has nothing to do with the game itself. It's a group of hackers (for once).

But another group of hackers is the good guys, so things even out. As it will turn out ((SPOILER... kind of)) the sister was a simple experiment for the virus. When a player sees the program run, it affects their brain directly (kind of like how white flashes give some people seizuers) and they try to commit suicide.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:50 pm

Well that storyline sounds like a combination of several things.
--Trying to exact reveng for a fallen sibling [.hack//Another Birth]
--The team of hackers [.hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet]
--Suicide virus [Adrominus (sp?) virus, the manga "Alive", or the new movie "The Happening"]

The Slate Scholar
Crew

Bane Rie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:00 pm

The Slate Scholar
Well that storyline sounds like a combination of several things.
--Trying to exact reveng for a fallen sibling [.hack//Another Birth]
--The team of hackers [.hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet]
--Suicide virus [Adrominus (sp?) virus, the manga "Alive", or the new movie "The Happening"]

Exactly. You see, with my novels I try to purposely put in throwbacks to old (well, at least when and if they get published) anime, manga, movies, etc. There is one novel I'm working on with a character who cosplays. In this one, the hackers are going to base their avatars on their favorite characters. All but 2 or 3 will have them based on characters in media I've made or my other novels. But one hacker I plan to have an avatar similar to a .hack character.

Probably Tsukasa or Sora. I liked them.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:52 am

KAY WELL SHUTUP AND HELP ME ON NEOSTEAM OR WHATEVER

Jakkii Padclaw

Jakkii Padclaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:50 am

My computer won't run Sword of the New World, I tried to install it today and there were complications. Sorry guys! ^^"
Chatterbox

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games