Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Mangachan's Sketchbook

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mangachan

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:27 am
I normally draw in an anime style with realistic human proportions and I LOVE details. I also like drawing realistically rendered people, some animals and landscapes (I don't like drawing landscapes that much, I only do them so I can be able to draw backgrounds). I like to draw in pencil, pen and ink, colored pencil and charcoal.

My DA: http://nubia06.deviantart.com/

Things I want the most feedback with:
- Proportions and anatomy
- Shading
- Coloring
- Inking
- Backgrounds  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:35 am
You'll get more feedback if you pick one at a time and post them here.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

mangachan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:06 pm
Okay, here we go...I have been drawing these over the last couple of weeks. These are mostly gesture drawings of people I saw around me. Let me know if there's anything I can improve on:

User Image

User Image

User Image

...and a lock of curly hair. I think it could be more convincing but that's just me:
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:25 am
Ohhhh. o:

I understand those are gesture drawings, but pay a tiny bit more attention to the lines. I like the general feel, but that one guy is looking a bit too feminine with those pursed lip and long lashes. (It could be made less so if the mouths weren't all drawn the same way.)

I do very much like the first person's face angle, though. ;D

& perfect! I've got a tut for curly hair, though I'm struggling with that atm as well. c: (We can work together? xD)

http://valendra.deviantart.com/art/Vavy-Curly-Hair-Tutorial-Part1-45500718

http://valendra.deviantart.com/art/Wavy-Curly-Hair-Tutorial-Part2-45510978  

KotokoPlum

Anpu the black Seraph

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:05 am
Your gesture drawings are awesome. You do a great job of rendering faces, at least in my oppinion, especially to be just drawing people sitting around you. I especially liked the last sketch of the guy sitting. I know it takes me forever to do faces.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:49 pm
I do like your gesture drawings, but most of the faces are turned away or to the side.

It looks like the heads facing towards the viewer could use a bit of work. They look rounded and a bit chubby-cheeked, making the characters look young--unless that's what you're going for, of course.

fluffy shem

mangachan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:32 am
Thanks for the input everyone.
biggrin
Jaliel, most of the faces are turned away or to the side because I was drawing people in my classes and the only way I could draw people in the front is by turning all the way around in my chair. sweatdrop When you're talking about the ones facing the viewer are you including the ones drawn in profile?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:29 am
I haven't posted anything new in here for a really loooong time. xp I've been taking a few drawing classes. Here's some work from my life drawing class.

This one was done in ink. The plane is very very weird.
User Image

Also done in ink:
User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image  

mangachan

Penlink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:04 am
Wow, these are some good sketches that you have here, but I see only one problem in one of those sketches. Plus It's not a big one either. smile In your last sketch, the young woman in the center has a longer midsection. This is due to her proportions, as the torso and pelvis are usually equal to two heads. However, she has three right now in that area. You might want to reduce the length of the midsection down, and check the proportions on her.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:24 pm
Pyro Philebas
Wow, these are some good sketches that you have here, but I see only one problem in one of those sketches. Plus It's not a big one either. smile In your last sketch, the young woman in the center has a longer midsection. This is due to her proportions, as the torso and pelvis are usually equal to two heads. However, she has three right now in that area. You might want to reduce the length of the midsection down, and check the proportions on her.

By golly you're right! Thanks. biggrin  

mangachan

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces