Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Fantasy fantasy fantasy? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deandriea

Nerd

12,050 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:31 am
I've read enough fantasy books to notice, many of them seem to have done there research on Neo pagan religions.

Andre Norton, for one. Her book Moon Called has an uncanny resemblance to Wicca.
Mercedes Lackey lso seems to include elements of neo paganism.

discuss

(too much time in GCD)  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:44 am
Well, it's well-known that Marion Zimmer Bradley did extensive research into Pagan practices before she wrote Mists of Avalon (and all those subsequent books). Starhawk has written some fiction -- granted, it's not the most accomplished writing in history, but it's not bad.

There's another author I've heard is quite knowledgeable. Was it Katherine Kurtz? *shrugs*  

ProfessorZed

Wood Sorrel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:18 pm
I think neo-paganism is a kinda "fashonable" religion right now, so I'm not surprised...  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:42 pm
There's also the flip side of that, where ideas are first introduced in fiction, in much the same way that science fiction shapes the way our technology develops. If you look back on history, this is the way most religious ideas formed. Never underestimate the power of the storyteller.  

Tsuzuki

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:34 pm
It always pleases me to see authors who have done their homework. I hate reading trash that has thrown things out of porportion or distorted things. domokun I'm planning on writing something someday that I think will be a welcome addition to the FICTION about neo-paganism, not the fantasy aspect. There is a difference. Harry Potter= fantasy. What I'm thinking of=fiction.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:48 pm
EladrinStarmist
It always pleases me to see authors who have done their homework. I hate reading trash that has thrown things out of porportion or distorted things. domokun I''m planning on writing something someday that I think will be a welcome addition to the FICTION about neo-paganism, not the fantasy aspect. There is a difference. Harry Potter= fantasy. What I''m thinking of=fiction.
Well, then, MZB''s gohstlight heartlight etc etc series might be of interest.

but, oh course, I''m a bit of the fantasy NUT, so I find some things fiction that others say fantasy  

Deandriea

Nerd

12,050 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Starlock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:01 pm
A trilogy by Anne Bishop (begins with "Pillars of the World") is so based on Wiccan mythology it's blatantly obvious. There's no way she didn't do research into things a little bit, even though the worldsetting is quite a bit different. It's not a bad series. Not fantastic, but not a bad read.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:17 am
Starlock
A trilogy by Anne Bishop (begins with "Pillars of the World") is so based on Wiccan mythology it's blatantly obvious. There's no way she didn't do research into things a little bit, even though the worldsetting is quite a bit different. It's not a bad series. Not fantastic, but not a bad read.

Anne Bishop...did she also do the Dark Jewels books? Her name sounds familiar, but I just can't place it. (has just woken up)

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

psycmoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:41 pm
Wicca and neo-paganism has become popular.

Popular sells.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:09 pm
psycmoe

Popular sells.
well you see, the books I read arent exactly the bestsellers list. more like teh kind of books that you rish gettign high from the decomposing binding glue.  

Deandriea

Nerd

12,050 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Elocutionist 200

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:21 pm
Do you count books with magic as being embracing Neo-pagan ideals?

For example, Melanie Rawn's books (starting with Dragon Prince) have a religion that features a Goddess, whose clergy are known as Sunrunner witches, and these Sunrunners can call all kinds of magic from the sun, the moon, and fire. There is also a Storm God who is both consort and rival to the Goddess, and there are mysterious people known as sorcerers who call magic from the stars instead and give their allegiance to a mysterious third deity, a dark goddess.

Now, I love these books. They're amazing and the depth of plot, setting, and characterization they exhibit is incredible. However, I don't think they have anything to do with Neo-paganism.

On the other hand, there is Laura Resnick's trilogy (starting with In Legend Born). The island nation of Sileria is oppressed by the mainland Valdanians. The religion of the Silerians focuses on the goddess Dar who lives in the volcano, and her clergy are the fire-wielding Guardians who can speak with the dead. (There are also the waterlords, who control (you guessed it) water and are in opposition to the Guardians.) The Valdanian conquerors worship the Three and bury their dead to wait for the day when the Three will resurrect them, in contrast to the Silerians who give their dead to the fire.

Does anyone not see a strange resemblence there? There's even another country on the mainland that's evocative of imperial China. But according to the author, several of her characters grew out "what if?" stories of Sicilian Mafia bosses and rebels from the 40's. 3nodding And I have no idea whether the books contain any intention of satire toward Christianity or support or interest in paganism.

You just don't know unless the author tells you, unless it's blatantly obvious like Marion Zimmer Bradley's books about Avalon or Morgan Llywelyn's Druids.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:10 am
Deandriea
psycmoe

Popular sells.
well you see, the books I read arent exactly the bestsellers list. more like teh kind of books that you rish gettign high from the decomposing binding glue.

Good for you then hun. I think I'm just negativly jaded on the pop-culture it's become xp Don't mind me.  

psycmoe

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:38 am
TheDisreputableDog

You just don't know unless the author tells you, unless it's blatantly obvious like Marion Zimmer Bradley's books about Avalon or Morgan Llywelyn's Druids.

I happen to own Druids and love it. One of the things I loved most about it is the list of sources in the back, both classical and contemporary. I reccomend it if you're interested in ancient druids and a kick-a** story. I consider this book to be historical fiction, not fantasy.

Bradley's Avalon books, on the otherhand, ARE fantasy and frankly, what they've spawned pisses me off. Yes they're great books and all, wonderfully written and excellently descriptive, but so much is yanked from new-age Pagan sources, its spawned fluffy pagan groups that are "OMG Avalon was REAL!? Lets' start a coven and be priestesses! No boys allowed!" domokun I've read her stuff and I like it, but I hate what is has spawned.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:34 am
EladrinStarmist
I happen to own Druids and love it. One of the things I loved most about it is the list of sources in the back, both classical and contemporary. I reccomend it if you're interested in ancient druids and a kick-a** story. I consider this book to be historical fiction, not fantasy.
That's a good point. I apologize for misspeaking there.

EladrinStarmist
Bradley's Avalon books, on the otherhand, ARE fantasy and frankly, what they've spawned pisses me off. Yes they're great books and all, wonderfully written and excellently descriptive, but so much is yanked from new-age Pagan sources, its spawned fluffy pagan groups that are "OMG Avalon was REAL!? Lets' start a coven and be priestesses! No boys allowed!" domokun I've read her stuff and I like it, but I hate what is has spawned.
I believe Bradley lists sources at the back as well, but they seem to merely have provided bare historical context and possibly customs of food and dress. Much though some of us would like to believe, there's no physical evidence for Avalon. The characters don't exist, except as people of legend in The Mists of Avalon or as reinvented historical figures such as Constantine's family. The characters in Druids may not exist strictly as they appear but she's not completely reworking and inventing whole sections of history. Thus your characterization of Druids as historical fiction and Bradley's work as fantasy is accurate. Bradley writes good books, but her rendition of Arthurian legend is no more valid than Roger Lancelyn Green's collection or the recent movie "King Arthur" just because it's women-centric.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:56 am
Deandriea
I've read enough fantasy books to notice, many of them seem to have done there research on Neo pagan religions.

Some of them look at neo paganism, others draw from the myths of older cultures. Tolkin? Can we say "Norse Spin off" Alfen, Dwarves "middle earth". Heh.

What impresses me is how spot on Terry Pratchett is. ~swoons~ Esme...

Anyway- most authors can at least scratch the surface of different mythos and religions to make something seem plausible. That's what a good author does. I don't see why it should surprise anyone.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff