Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Need bi products substitutes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:18 pm
I am a vegetarian, who loves to bake, but doesn't feel right about using bi products.

I have recently started using canola oil as a substitute for butters( fats), but am looking for a really good and simple substitute for EGGS and MILK/ butter milk.

Can anyone help me with this delimma?

I have heard about using 1/4 apple sause or 1/2 banana for one egg, but I am not sure if I understood the directions correctly. I have some EXCELLENT old time recipies from the early 1900s, and I want to veg@n them.

Please help me. And when I make them, I will report to you how they came out.

Thanks

Nadira heart  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:04 pm
Eggs are the most difficult to replace. Alternative binding agents in baking include applesauce or ripe banana. Ener-G egg replacer is the best. When I use an egg replacement in a box mix, they tend to not hold together well. But I've had no problem with made-from-scratch recipes.

Soy/Almond milk can replace normal milk. Add a bit of white vintager to the milk to make it "buttermilk."

Good luck!  

momomuki

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:59 am
As I promised- I would report how my substitutes did...

1. 1/2 Banana for one whole banana in cupcakes/cakes/cookies. Has worked VERY well. In fact, I LOVE the banana hinted taste (some people can't detect it), and I don't have to feel guilty about using factory farm eggs!

I tried 1/2 banana for 1egg in my brownies, but it didnt come out right... so I am still working that out...

2. I use the same amount in solids as in liquids plus the liquid amount of tofu for all milk products. AND IT WORKS GREAT! So tufu plus water=amount of milk needed.

3. I use canola oil for all fats. Ex. shortening, butter, margerine, lard. I also add 1/4 salt. Because there usually is salt in everthing else, and there is none in canola. Somehow it works better with it..

Next question,

How can I replace geletin? And two, how do I make GOOD vegan frosting?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:42 pm
Agar will work in most ways like gelatin, even setting in some conditions where gelatin won't. Fruit pectin is another option. Various starches will also set up things.

Most frosting recipes that call for butter will work if you use a soy margarine instead - and now there are vegan margarines without trans fats. HERE is one recipe I got by googling, which is like one out of Ron Picarski's books that I've used. I would add just a little more sweetness to it, like with a little maple syrup...  

OregonLoveShaman

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:51 am
I used 1/2c mashed avacado plus 1/2c water for 1c of a fat in my snickerdoodle recipe. The cookies came out bland in flavor though. I doubled the recipe (only called for 1c of Fat, but this mixture made 2c) and no one can tell that avacado is in it! The green look cooks out. I had to add vegan chocolate poweder to the mix to give the cookies taste.

So yes, you can use avacado for a fat substitute!  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games