Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Cheese,Quite Literally Addictive?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Here's some gaia gold!
  Thanks!
View Results

pinkcatminht

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:57 pm
so, i was watching Supersize Me the other day(which, if you haven't seen it, presents very good reasons why you should never eat fast food EVER), && a doctor they interviewed spoke very briefly about there being natural opiates in the cheese proteins.

um, am i the only one who didn't know that cheese is literally addictive? ._. now i'm gonna work extra hard to "quit" cheese, lol.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:15 am
Casomorphins.
They come from an enzyme found in the cow's liver, which is passed through the casein found in milk. In that form, there is too little to have any effect. A lot of the water, whey protein and lactose are removed during the cheese making process, which concentrates the casein.  

This Old Oscillator

God Save The Vampires

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:42 am
O.o cheese, addictive? I didn't know that. I need rehab. XD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:35 pm
All mammalian milk has some kind of casein, and it's purpose is to compel babies to feed. Casomorphin addiction is also why some weanings can be pretty harsh - I cringe when the momma raccoons are weaning their babies....  

OregonLoveShaman

Arnemetia of Annwn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:48 pm
OregonLoveShaman
All mammalian milk has some kind of casein, and it's purpose is to compel babies to feed. Casomorphin addiction is also why some weanings can be pretty harsh - I cringe when the momma raccoons are weaning their babies....

Wow, I had no idea. That's interesting to know.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:37 pm
I don't eat much cheese anymore, since going off of dairy and meat all together.
I don't know what type of veg*nism it is, but I guess someone would know here. (:  

Byelobogh

Sini X

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:08 am
I have to say that cheese is quite addictive. For me, who decided to vegan after pondering on it for quite a while, leaving cheese behind me was the toughest part of the whole thing. I mean milk itself was easy, just bought soy milk instead, but cheese gonk Really hard for me, but did it and even bought a cheeseless pizza today, which was really good, except that it had olives on it :z (I don't like olives at all) But all it really takes is willpower and a good grocerystore to go to.
But when I really started to think about it, I guess it was just a habit I had grown into. So quitting eating cheese is like quitting smoking to some people. It's just a habit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:28 pm
Cheese is good ^_^ but I don't really like soy cheese xp  

stargirl88

loony x lovegood
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:43 pm
Yeah, cheese is generally the hardest thing to stop consuming because it's addictive. I didn't even know this until a few years ago. When I stopped eating cheese, I would eat something else fatty instead - soy ice cream, baked goods, pasta smothered in homemade pesto, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:42 pm
Cheese was the last thing I stopped eating...it took years to finally be able to not want to eat it. I tried stopping "cold turkey" a few times but I guess I just had to let it happen on it's own. Now cheese is pretty gross.  

squazilla

Lord of Losers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:45 am
I believe the doctor you might be talking about is Dr. Neal Barnard. I saw him on Ellen the other day, and he was talking about how eating animal products is terrible for you, and he also made mention of cheese being addictive.
I was at a veg potluck yesterday, and a guy made a pizza, and had made his own vegan cheese! It was really good! HOOORAYYY!!!!
Haha, as I'm writing this I'm chowing down on vegan chocolate chips. Hell, those are addictive too. I can't stop!! sweatdrop  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games