Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Dreamscapes and tales - need a goood critique

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Unicorns_Tail

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:42 pm
Hi!
My friends usually called me Miyu. And I don't remember my age(seriosly).
I'm hitchhiker and love it, the feelling of the wings and one Road. When I'm not travelling I'm studing animation in the college of cinema.

Good critiques Are always welcome here.

I started doing this in oil pastel, after fixing in photoshop, and now I'm stuck.
Need Your help and advice.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:04 pm
I'm just kind of lost. I really don't know anything on color theory, but the colors confuse me. There are just so many, but mainly, I think the cloak she is wearing is throwing me off.

The dark trees in the back are cool, but why is the other hill colored? Is it closer to us, because depth perception is telling me that it's even further back than the dark trees. @_____@;

...But abstract art is rather difficult to critique in general, as it isn't concrete.  

KotokoPlum

blackmoondrops

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:01 pm
First off, I wanted to say: I REALLY love your background. It's very mystical, and takes me to another place. I disagree with Kotoko, and think it's fine the way it is. Your girl's shawl is a good choice of colors that contrast the background, and yet don't detract from the rest of the picture. On the other hand, it does look like you are not used to drawing the human figure.
The hair feels like it needs to be broken up a little bit at the end where it's blowing to look a little more like hair. I would suggest looking up pictures of Pocahontas from the Disney move. Her hair looks similar to yours, and you could still keep it somewhat abstractive so that it keeps in theme with the rest of the picture.
The other thing, is I would move both her legs to the left closer to her head. She seems a little off balanced.
Over all great job. I like this piece heart  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:54 pm
I've come back to this image several times trying to come up with a critique. It's not been easy since it's a type of art I'm fairly unfamiliar with. But I'll give it a go.

I love how you use color. You seem to have no inhibitions, which is absolutely marvelous. heart Your lines have style and character to them and it's quite refreshing to see something different like this. mrgreen
I think my favorite bit is the line of trees on the upper left. For some reason (maybe their shape and how much they contrast your sky?) they really leave me with a strong impression. I also like your lines around that area. They're very strong and have directionality, which really adds some movement to the whole composition.

The thing I'd think about working on is your characters. She fits the feel of the piece, but has an awkwardness about her that doesn't seem intentional.

Lovely job, overall. heart Pastels are a fun medium, and you seem to be enjoying them a lot.
Keep up the work!
heart

Orockthro

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:38 am
Cape's flow is... not flowy. And the colors of it are too off compared to what you've been using in the background.

What other things bus me is the lines on the tree. Just doesn't fit in your impressionist-ish style.

Overall, it's pretty good.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff