Submit

Why do you want a poll?
  gold
  kicks
  their funnn
View Results

Nikki the Juggalette

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:15 am
Ok so I went up to the clubhouse (Appartment Office) and was talking to the head lady just for kicks. She said her son had come home in tripps and it pissed her off she said (and quoted)
"I think it's stupid how goth kids subject themselves to ridicule by dressing different. Then I see you guys bitching about getting made fun of. All I'm saying is stop bitching becuase you bring it on yourselfs when you dress like that."
What do you guys think? Was she right or wrong in saying this? Do you guys think most goths do this? Just wanna hear your feedback on this!  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:19 pm
Well there are many many "levels" of how extreme you can go in the goth look, so it's up to every individual to choose how they feel the most comfortable. There are many people who just amuse themselves by making fun or at least starring weirdly at those who dress in a different way from the majority, so such reactions can be expected when you "goth up". Then there are two options, either get used to being stared at or commented and learn to be self confident wearing whatever you choose to wear and feel good in. Or just tone down your way of dressing. You don't have to wear anything "extreme" if you find out you are uncomfortable with the reaction of other people and still you don't have to leave your gothic style entirely... I believe if you go for the more classy/elegant branch of goth you can even get positive reactions from people instead of negative ones.  

Ametrin

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:59 pm
I agree with Melian on this
Also, by dressing apart from the norm of society, you WILL attract attention, unwanted or otherwise. It's just that simple, you stand out. So, of course some people will make fun of you, as well as take it to far at times. It's just a human reaction.  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:03 pm
What I took out of teh convo wiith her is she's saying we're doing it for attention..I don't dress like I do to be made fun of..or to fit in..or even to get noticed I do it becuase I like it..when I tried to explain that she disagreed and said all goths do it for one of those reasons.  

Nikki the Juggalette

Naztakuan

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:41 pm
My mom thinks the same thing. She just doersn't get it. I tmakes me feel good to dress in my OWN style. She thinks I do it to rebel. Trust me..my forms of rebellion are alot more subtle than that. So subtle that no one really notices I'm rebelling at all.  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:26 pm
heh rebelling...going out and getting drunk and stubling home at 2 am and getting kicked out..tahts about my story =D  

Nikki the Juggalette

Laharl Part Deux

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:41 pm
I think if you're going to dress different than the norm you do, indeed, put yourself out there. You need to be prepared for it, because people do stare and they do say some pretty nasty s**t. So my words of wisdom are to you guys out there: learn to enjoy the s**t people say and do, develop a tough skin, or stop dressing so outlandishly.

I have no need to rebel against my parents. Namely because I'm 19 and there's not much power they hold over me a anymore. But i do rebel against society by not changing who I am just to make others happy, to get a job, or anything of like. I am me and ******** you if you don't like it.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:39 am
I think people should be able to accept and do not criticize other ways to live or dress, considering that like 75% of the society dress like "fashion" says just for be in the "normal standards" and do not be condered different (Thing that imo is really stupid).
I belive that being goth or punk for example is another ay to express yourself. However a person should be respected regardless if is goth or no just for the simple fact that is a person.  

YellowRavenInk

Opinionated Bibliophile

12,775 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500

Nikki the Juggalette

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:42 am
The Lord of Dreams
I think people should be able to accept and do not criticize other ways to live or dress, considering that like 75% of the society dress like "fashion" says just for be in the "normal standards" and do not be condered different (Thing that imo is really stupid).
I belive that being goth or punk for example is another ay to express yourself. However a person should be respected regardless if is goth or no just for the simple fact that is a person.

It's true but sadly enough society thinks that it's their way or no way. Maybe eventually people will accept teh different but not yet. I think that she's wrong just because to me my clothes are just clothes. I wear them because I like them and they are comfortable. Their not to be put out there.  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:17 pm
Nikura Uchiha
The Lord of Dreams

It's true but sadly enough society thinks that it's their way or no way. Maybe eventually people will accept teh different but not yet. I think that she's wrong just because to me my clothes are just clothes. I wear them because I like them and they are comfortable. Their not to be put out there.

Never give up. sometime the only thing to do when people do not like you( for no right reason) is just flourish and prosper, live your life and be proud of what you are. They are the ones living withouth expressing the true themselves wink  

YellowRavenInk

Opinionated Bibliophile

12,775 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500

AdrianaKitten

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:42 am
I don't b***h, I laugh.
I don't deserve it but I expect it....but I do apologize somewhat for the weather.
sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:39 pm
Noo one DESERVES to be mocked or ridiculed. Such behavior only serves the purpose of a person who likes to employ psychological war fare. Teasing is a human practice since it center around a significantly social species. Teasing really serves no other purpose but to do harm so I can only think that such people who go out of teir way to ridicule people, are probably just bad people anyway.  

Naztakuan

Jinx Noir

Alien Kitten

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:03 pm
It sad but true that SOME people dress goth for the attention, or to fit in, or out of some sense of rebellion.
But that doesn't mean every goth has to be like that.

I personally dress the way I do because I think it's beautiful. I just have a different definition of beauty. I apologize for that all the time and sometimes that bugs me. But talking to other people that like the same things I do helps.  
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:08 pm
the strangeness
It sad but true that SOME people dress goth for the attention, or to fit in, or out of some sense of rebellion.
But that doesn't mean every goth has to be like that.

I personally dress the way I do because I think it's beautiful. I just have a different definition of beauty. I apologize for that all the time and sometimes that bugs me. But talking to other people that like the same things I do helps.

Even if you don't dress for attention you just get used to it. I make humor our of what people say to me..tahts just how I get by with it.
I dress the way i do becuase it's comfortable. I like my style and I don't two ******** what others say.  

Nikki the Juggalette

stefcia stefcia

Versatile Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:11 pm
I, also, agree with Melian and mostly, all the points hit on this subject on here so far.

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff