Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ol_evil_eye_Riddle_box

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:31 am
Is it bad to eat cereal a lot? That's just about all I eat. It is so easy to make. I can't stand cooking without my boyfriend (I just about caught the house on fire and I nearly chopped two of my fingers off in one night... I don't like cooking) and at the moment, he is away. I don't like raw vegetables, so I can't just pull any of that out and start eating it (I wish I did, it looks yummy, I just don't like it unless it's cooked sad ). So, is it unhealthy to eat cereal a lot? Or do I have to eat other things. I mean, I know I need other nutrients and vitamins and whatnot, aside from that, is it bad?  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:08 am
It's not bad to eat cereal, but you should try to keep it to once a day. If you absolutely cannot cook, to the point that the very helpful and simple directions and videos on http://startcooking.com/ do not help you in the least, I suggest making your lunch and dinner a microwave meal, such as Smart Ones or Lean Cuisine. They're very healthy, balanced meals (especially Smart Ones); they're stupid-easy to make (as in, I can make a microwave meal even when I'm zonked on NyQuil with a nasty cold); and they're low enough in fats, sugars, and calories to help you with your weight loss plan.

You HAVE to eat other things, not just cereal. You need the vitamins and other nutrients, but just as much as that, your body requires variety. If it gets too used to one thing only, eating anything else will make you sick to your stomach. Not eating other things, you could actually cause your own death. Eating too much of any one thing is just as harmful as eating not enough of anything else.

Start eating salads. Yes, I said raw vegetables. Do it. You don't have to do a lot of chopping, either, because a lot of supermarkets sell bags of pre-cut lettuce, pre-cut broccoli and mushrooms, and all sorts of other things. Take a long, relaxed stroll through the produce section of the market and you'll be amazed at what you can find. You probably won't love the stuff right away (even with a nice oil-and-vinegar dressing), but your tastes will adjust if you make the commitment to eat those things at least once a day for six weeks. You can do that without learning to cook.

But do learn to cook. It's a basic survival skill that every human being needs, so now's the best time to start. Learning to prepare your own foods will give you a powerful tool in your weight loss arsenal. When other people make your food for you, or when you stick with nothing but cereals, you really don't have any control over your foods. Thus, you really don't have any control over your weight. Suck it up and do the right thing, or you will almost certainly die from poor health.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Starlurk

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:33 am
Are there any fruit you like? :3

If you find a farmer's market or a produce stand they might hand you a free sample of something you've never tried before. (And you might like it too!)  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:39 pm
you could always try cooking a heap of vegetables, or vegetable dishes, and freeze the portions, then when you are hungry you just need to microwave them, and you only have to cook them once or twice a week. I know you prob lose a lot of nutrients and goodness cooking them twice, but its better than having cereal all the time.

It depends on what kinda of cereal we are talking about too. I mean, i assume this is breakfast cereal we are talking about, not just cereals in general? In that case, breakfast cereals may vary in how much fibre, sugar etc they have, and if you're having a really sugary one its not going to be so fantastic for you.

Plus, dont you get bored with cereal? gonk actually thats a dumd question, i could never get bored of chocolate...

How long have you been eating cereal like this for? If you've been doing it for a long time and think itll be hard to change, then try just introducing veggies a little bit at a time (i've had to do this with fruit >.<)  

Iconised Ghost

Starlurk

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:32 am
Maybe you could pick up some tortillas, lean sandwich meat, and spinach and make yourself some quesadillas you can pop in the microwave.

Sandwiches are good too <3  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:04 am
Iconised Ghost
you could always try cooking a heap of vegetables, or vegetable dishes, and freeze the portions, then when you are hungry you just need to microwave them, and you only have to cook them once or twice a week. I know you prob lose a lot of nutrients and goodness cooking them twice, but its better than having cereal all the time.

It depends on what kinda of cereal we are talking about too. I mean, i assume this is breakfast cereal we are talking about, not just cereals in general? In that case, breakfast cereals may vary in how much fibre, sugar etc they have, and if you're having a really sugary one its not going to be so fantastic for you.

Plus, dont you get bored with cereal? gonk actually thats a dumd question, i could never get bored of chocolate...

How long have you been eating cereal like this for? If you've been doing it for a long time and think it'll be hard to change, then try just introducing veggies a little bit at a time (I've had to do this with fruit >.<)

I only eat rice crispies with a teaspoon of sugar and corn flakes with a teaspoon of sugar (these aren't sugary cereals, I can't stand most of the cereals these days gah!) I sometimes eat cereal three times a day because it's easy to make. but hey. my man is, back so I will cook again! Thank you everyone for your help, I will cut down on the cereal, I knew I should do that in the first place, i was just wondering if it was a bad idea to eat it so much health wise. Thank you.  

ol_evil_eye_Riddle_box

Lady Schist

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:43 pm
Salads are easy to make, painless and can be done often with just your fingers.

Rip Lettuce, Kale, Spinach.
Break Broccoli.
Squish and pull apart tomato,
Cut green onions with scissors.
Slice Carrots with the peeler.

With the right dressing, salad is your friend. : d I suggest Raspberry vinnagrette  
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:56 pm
ooo raspberry vinegrette sounds awesome! My sister makes a really nice salad dressing with olive oil and lemon juice 4laugh if you get the quantities right its just nice and tangy  

Iconised Ghost

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:32 am
I eat cereal a lot too. It's a great snack! I mean, unless your eating something like coco puffs or lucky charms. I usually eat cheerios or Oatmeal crisp or something along those lines. Those kinds of cereals are whole grain, low in fat, low in sugar but also contain lots of nutrients. I have like 3-4 bowls for breakfast in the morning xd and sometimes, if there's nothing good to snack on, I'll have it later in the day for a snack as well. The difference though is that my diet DOES have variety. The only sugar I add is in the form of fresh fruit. There isn't much food I don't like, so ya, lots of variety in my diet  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games